Apple's Dr. Dre apologizes for past abuse of women, says he's a changed man

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    chelinchelin Posts: 106member
    Just last week a co worker of mine had his ex girlfriend punch him twice and spit on him over an argument. I believe the younger female generation (these are early 20s I am writing about) feel more empowered that they can abuse men and get away with it. But when a man so much as touches a woman incorrectly it is abuse and gets all the headlines. I've seen plenty of women slap and hit men on the bus I've taken to work. Just because you personally don't see it doesn't mean it is not happening, a lot.

Ohh poor little you, go home and let you momma wipe your tears. Are you for real?
  • Reply 62 of 131
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Lol, here are the last four grafs from a NYT article on this today....

Since the attack, Ms. Barnes said that she has had trouble finding work in the entertainment industry: “His career continued, where mine dwindled. People side with the money.”

Still, she rejects those who say coming forward again now is opportunistic. “What opportunity?” she said. “Show me the opportunities.”

She added, “They brought up the past” by making the film. “Not me.”

Michel’le agreed. “They told their story,” she said. “I’m telling mine.”

Come on, considering how few people in the entertainment industry make it in the industry, linking it was a cheap shot. Doesn't help her case at all. The likelyhood she would have trouble finding work would probably be just the same. He did something bad, seemingly pad for it and is sorry he did it. Isn't that what the justice system is all about?

As people knowing now about these things... Come on, a lot of those rappers had rap sheet (sic) at that time, 30-50% of blacks in some neighborhood had been in jail at one time in the early 90s! Violence of all kind there was endemic, including sexual assaults, assaults and murders. There is not much mystery about most of them being involved in some kind of violence. Would beating some guy (which probably happened much more often) really be better? Would he need to issue an apology for that? If not... Why not?

I do believe you an rehabilitate yourself; and society seemingly does too. If not, you'd just lock away the "bad people" and throw away the keys.

• Reply 63 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

....all because some commenter on here was critisizing and judging him.

I see more abuse towards males than females. A LOT MORE.

I can garauntee if he was a female celebrity no one would have remembered or cared. She wouldn't have had to explain hersefl 25 YEARS later. They might have even made fun of the man she hit calling him a "p***y" or "clown".

Subliminally proves my point here.

Proof that alternative universes exist

• Reply 64 of 131
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    crowley wrote: »
    Srsly? 

I mean sure, men can be victims of domestic abuse too, but more? A lot more?  I don't think that's even remotely approaching true, either in quantity or severity.

Is something like 40% of abuse is towards men 60% towards women. Well that's what I heard
  • Reply 66 of 131
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

People can change, they can change from liking sci fi to thrillers, or beer to wine. But changing from someone who is violent against others to someone who isn't, can people really make that big of a change? 

I don't know, never having had to try. But I think it should be possible if the person has a very strong will and desire to change. And they have to have patience with others too, and realise that people will eventually trust them again, but it might take 10 or 15 years. Not many people have that much will, desire and patience, but some probably do.

• Reply 67 of 131
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Srsly? 

I mean sure, men can be victims of domestic abuse too, but more? A lot more?  I don't think that's even remotely approaching true, either in quantity or severity.

Why limit it to domestic(household) abuse? If abuse toward the sexes is different could the way we record such abuses be different, too? I've seen hidden camera videos where women are getting away with theft on the street but as soon as they swap in a guy he is accosted for the very same act? So why are males be confronted more in that instance than women? Does it balance things out in society? What if we throw in religion, "race", sexual orientation, and physical attractiveness in there as metrics? What in society is an even playing field?
  • Reply 68 of 131
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I think so, but I think that particular crime is part of his brain's make up, not an issue of circumstance like certain felonies, being caught with an ounce of weed in 1990. Kind of amazing that small drug offenses can land you in jail longer than rape crimes in this country due to the war on drugs.

Actually I suspect that the problem is that the sentencing is based more on how conclusive the evidence is rather than on how horrible the crime. Or to say that another way - there can be no doubt in the courtroom when I point to the bag of weed and say that the defendant had that bag of weed in their front pocket at the time of the stop - compared to - the alleged victim claims that such and such an act occurred on the evening of the 12th last October. 

Add to that the probability of someone pleading guilty to a lesser crime than the crime of which they are accused - or to some subset of all the charges against them - it makes it somewhat difficult to determine by the resulting sentence length just how are the truly bad guys and who are the fools who made a couple bad decisions. 

• Reply 69 of 131
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You are entitled to your emotional feelings when you saw Woody out in the town, but that doesn't fit a logical conversation. Maybe there was something going on earlier...

Sorry for apparently hitting a nerve when it comes to your idol.

Allen is a psycho and should be shunned. Along with that other predator, Polanski.
  • Reply 70 of 131
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    ronn wrote: »
    Sorry for apparently hitting a nerve when it comes to your idol.

Allen is a psycho and should be shunned. Along with that other predator, Polanski.

Clearly a reasonable conversation with you isn't possible when you resort to binary logic that he must be an idol of mine since I didn't automatically share in your hatred based on your anecdotes. Perhaps you need to consider why you're so emotional about this decades old story and why you assume that he's someone I revere simply because I desire to have actual facts presented before I condemn a person.

PS: First he was a pedo, then you say he's an incestuous pedo, and now you're changed you're saying he's a psychopath? :???:
  • Reply 71 of 131
    coolfactor wrote: »

Yes, it's about growing wiser. We all make mistakes that we later regret. Do you want someone to hold one of your mistakes against you for the rest of your life, despite your best efforts to live a respectable, healthy life?

I feel sorry for Dr. Dre having the past being dug up on him like this. And if he can stay true to him current path, without letting these skeletons mess with his head, then all the more respect for him.

Yes, if I ever committed an act as unconscionable as beating up a woman or messing up the life of a kid, I would expect others to hold me accountable for my actions for the rest of my life.
  • Reply 72 of 131
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Firstly: abuse of women is not acceptable whatsoever.

However Dr.Dre has been famous for a long time. I'm highly skeptical when these sorts of things are drummed up, especially some 25 years after the incidents in question. I could give it credit if he wasn't worldwide famous before the recent releases of his film and album, but this isn't the case.

At the same time we don't see much being said about Chris Brown, whose violence is both recent and seemingly ignored during his launches.
  • Reply 73 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

It's saddening/embarrassing to read everyone here coming to the defense of Dr Dre. Please put your egos and love for Apple aside and honestly answer this question - Would you have the same willingness to forgive if this exact scenario played out at literally ANY other company? Even further, what if this happened at Samsung? 

It's sad/embarrassing that you think it has anything to do with Apple or Samsung. Dr. Dre was Dr. Dre long before he had anything to do with Apple. Would you have the same willingness to forgive if this exact scenario played out for literally ANY other person? Even further, what if this happened to a family member?

• Reply 74 of 131

Cause the life expectancy of men is so much higher than women.... especially in Compton. Lemme guess. You are white and have feminist ideology ruining your brain.

• Reply 75 of 131

I wouldn't give a shit.

• Reply 76 of 131

People like you are a bigger danger to the world than Hulk Hogan. He had a racist thought. You have the certainty of self-righteous indignation. 

• Reply 77 of 131
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It is totally pathetic and disgusting how some posters here even admit to feeling sorry for dr dre.

Dr Dre the serial woman abuser, who has multiple female victims among his accomplishments in the past was not on the receiving end of the violence. He was the perpetrator, not the victim, and it's a total joke for anybody to feel sorry for him. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

And no, I do not believe that people can truly change. A person who is capable of beating women in the past is still capable of such behavior. Beating women is something that would never even enter into the thought process of normal, non violent males, let alone being a serial perpetrator of such violence. A rapist will always be a rapist, a child molester will always be a child molester and an abuser of women will always be an abuser of women. Their behavior is embedded in their system imo.image

Exactly where do you get your certainly that normal males are non-violent? You certainly didn't get it from observation.

• Reply 78 of 131
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

You injected the word "domestic", not the OP.

The subject of the thread that the OP was responding to is Dr Dre's domestic abuse.  If that's not what the OP meant, apologies, but I don't think the word domestic matters all that much; same point stands even when you remove it.

• Reply 79 of 131
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And no, I do not believe that people can truly change. A person who is capable of beating women in the past is still capable of such behavior. 

Being capable of something is not the same as doing it.  That's the change.

• Reply 80 of 131
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/187825/apples-dr-dre-apologizes-for-past-abuse-of-women-says-hes-a-changed-man/40#post_2764523"]
    And no, I do not believe that people can truly change. A person who is capable of beating women in the past is still capable of such behavior. 
    Given the right circumstances we're all capable of thievery, murder, and cannibalism.

Being capable of something is not the same as doing it.  That's the change.