Apple announces repair program for blurry iPhone 6 Plus cameras

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Consumers who have experienced image quality problems with their iPhone 6 Plus's iSight camera may be eligible for a free repair, as Apple on Friday acknowledged a problem with a "small percentage" of units and will replace the affected component free of charge.

Officially dubbed the "iSight Camera Replacement Program for iPhone 6 Plus," Apple's repair effort is available to any iPhone 6 Plus owner whose device is producing blurry photos and carries the problematic part. Affected users can check their serial number at Apple's website.

Apple stops short of detailing the exact nature of the problem, saying only that some iPhone 6 Plus iSight cameras contain a "a component that may fail causing your photos to look blurry."

The iPhone 6 Plus ships with the most advanced iSight camera yet, and is the first iPhone to include optical image stabilization, a feature used to distinguish it from its smaller sibling. Both iPhone 6-series handsets also sport phase detection autofocus --?which Apple markets as "Focus Pixels" --?and the ability to capture slow-motion video at 240 frames per second.

Those taking advantage of Apple's repair program are advised to back up their phone before handing it over at an Apple Store or Apple authorized service provider. Affected units will be eligible for repair for up to 3 years after the iPhone's original purchase date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I had similar problem with my iPhone 5S with the right half of the photo being blurry. I got it replaced at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    I'm a technician at a an Apple Premium Service Provider, and there have been a good amount of people coming in with this issue. We knew there had to be a replacement program coming. Thank goodness it's an easy repair!
  • Reply 3 of 67
    My iPhone qualifies, yet it's always taken great pictures. I wonder if I should take it in now, or just wait until it fails, since it's covered for 3 years anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    tknulltknull Posts: 33member

I noticed a month ago that my photos have a small circle that is slightly blurry in the right middle of all images.  The rest of the image is fine.  I tried cleaning of the lens area, thinking i must have smudged it.... but didn't go away.  So i was worried it must have gotten dirty or something inside the components... and i had planned to get to an Apple store when able.  Just checked, and mine is one of the eligible units... so i guess this is the reason?

• Reply 5 of 67
    tknull wrote: »
    I noticed a month ago that my photos have a small circle that is slightly blurry in the right middle of all images.  The rest of the image is fine.  I tried cleaning of the lens area, thinking i must have smudged it.... but didn't go away.  So i was worried it must have gotten dirty or something inside the components... and i had planned to get to an Apple store when able.  Just checked, and mine is one of the eligible units... so i guess this is the reason?

Take it in. What do you have to lose? It's under warranty.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Take it in. What do you have to lose? It's under warranty.

Agreed, my S/N checks out on the Apple site as having the defective component - I'm leary though because you get a refurb back.

• Reply 7 of 67
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    I have seen this problem with the iPhone 6 (non-plus) model.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    gregq wrote: »
    Agreed, my S/N checks out on the Apple site as having the defective component - I'm leary though because you get a refurb back.

Say what? They only replace the camera, not the entire phone (as I understand it).
  • Reply 9 of 67
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

camera gate

• Reply 10 of 67
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gregq wrote: »

You don't get a phone replacement you get a camera replacement. So even if they gave refurbs for replacements you don't have to worry about that.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You don't get a phone replacement you get a camera replacement. So even if they gave refurbs for replacements you don't have to worry about that.

aahhhhh... then I'll take it in. Thanks.

• Reply 12 of 67
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Mine started doing it a few days ago.  I'm relieved it's not my eyes playing tricks on me.  S/N checks out and appointment made.

• Reply 13 of 67
    charlituna wrote: »

My wife had the same issue with her 6+ a week ago. They gave her the option of sending her phone in for repair or swapping it out for a refurb. This was before the official repair program was announced though.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Apple quality is getting worse. 

• Reply 15 of 67
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    [/quote]

((..you get a refurb back...)). Apple replaced my iPhone 5, under Applecare, and I thought the replacement would be a refurb, but when I asked, the Apple rep. Told me it was a brand new iPhone 5. So I'm currently using my 9 month old iPhone 5.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    royboy wrote: »
    Agreed, my S/N checks out on the Apple site as having the defective component - I'm leary though because you get a refurb back

((..you get a refurb back...)). Apple replaced my iPhone 5, under Applecare, and I thought the replacement would be a refurb, but when I asked, the Apple rep. Told me it was a brand new iPhone 5. So I'm currently using my 9 month old iPhone 5.

In your situation yes. But for this replacement program, only the camera module is replaced.

To reiterate: this program does not qualify a full unit replacement. It is a camera replacement only.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MazeCookie View Post

In your situation yes. But for this replacement program, only the camera module is replaced.

To reiterate: this program does not qualify a full unit replacement. It is a camera replacement only.

[[..does not qualify a full unit replacement..]]  And that, I understand.  But the point I was trying to make was that a number of people believe that if Apple replaces an iPhone, and that iPhone is not the current model being produce, then Apple replaces the iPhone with a refurbished iPhone of the same model/year.  When they replaced my iPhone 5, the iPhone 6 had been out a couple of months.  I knew Apple was not going to give me a iPhone 5s or a iPhone 6, so when the Apple rep. brought out a box with an iPhone 5 in it, I asked him if it was a refurb?  He said "No", and my next question was "But Apple doesn't make the iPhone 5 anymore?"  He said they still do, otherwise, under Applecare, then they would have to give the current iPhone 6 (or 5s) as the replacement.

I could see the masses, including me, trying to "screw up" their older iPhones, still under Applecare, if Apple would give them the current iPhone model. 

BTW:  Apple replaced my wife iPhone 5 at 20 months and my iPhone 5 at 23 months.  And that just makes me an even more loyal Apple fanboy.  My first Apple product was an Apple llGS.

• Reply 18 of 67
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    tzeshan wrote: »

Based on what? "A small number of defective cameras?" What about their customer service? Is that getting better or worse? Don't bother looking up statistics, trends or actual numbers of any kind - just make up an answer, present it as fact and then go collect your check from Samsung.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tenly wrote: »
    tzeshan wrote: »

Based on what? "A small number of defective cameras?" What about their customer service? Is that getting better or worse? Don't bother looking up statistics, trends or actual numbers of any kind - just make up an answer, present it as fact and then go collect your check from Samsung.

There's always this.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181797/apple-ignores-calls-to-fix-2011-macbook-pro-failures-as-problem-grows

But it's a hiccup in a otherwise exemplary service record.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

iPhone camera does not have this problem is previous generations.  My statement that Apple quality is getting worse is based on this simple fact.