Apple's latest Mac Pro continues to cause problems for professional users

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If a computer is getting kernel panics or powering off or something that clearly indicates hardware failure then of course get the computer manufacturer involved as soon as possible.

Except as this thread indicates there is something fundamentally wrong with the model itself.

This is not some cheap whimsy that Pros pickup on some off chance it does the job.

Frankly if it had been my studio we would have done all the testing to substantiate our case, asked for another replacement unit and if that had the same issues, we would have asked for our money back.

There are a string of design decisions with the latest Mac Pro that make me smell a rat. Starting with its oddball GPUs and unnecessarily tight construction. The necessity to hang nearly everything off the back of the unit to expand it also has the hairs up on the back of my neck.

It is too much of a prototype and left field for a basic workhorse. Workhorses and show ponies usually distinguish themselves at the first glance. My hunch is this model is a one off and we will never see an upgrade or Mark II.

• Reply 122 of 134
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    rubaiyat wrote: »
    Except as this thread indicates there is something fundamentally wrong with the model itself.

There's no details indicating that it's the hardware having problems, it can be a software issue, drivers or 3rd party software.
    There are a string of design decisions with the latest Mac Pro that make me smell a rat. Starting with its oddball GPUs and unnecessarily tight construction. The necessity to hang nearly everything off the back of the unit to expand it also has the hairs up on the back of my neck.

There's nothing oddball about the GPUs, they are standard AMD GPUs and it's not an unnecessarily tight enclosure - it's the right size to fit everything they wanted inside it. 3rd parties have done temperature tests running heavy workloads and the parts stay within reasonable working temperatures even under tests that purposely max them out more than a real workflow.
    My hunch is this model is a one off and we will never see an upgrade or Mark II.

They said it will be the design for the next 10 years, they can put out a new model every 2 years or so. If there's an issue found where temperatures are maybe affecting video memory then they can tighten up some thermal limits and it can be user-configurable depending on workload. Computational workloads will heat the GPUs up more than real-time work. Once they figure out what's causing the glitches, then they can fix it. Given that some people sorted their issues by booting into Windows, it suggests a software issue.
  • Reply 123 of 134

it's OpenCL on mac OS X.

i have a 2012 mac pro with 4 x AMD r9 280x 6gb cards in an expander chassis and see the exact same issue as the new mac pro users. this card is the normal pc retail version of the D700. (they often show up as D700 in system info).

I have the described issue in mavericks and yosemite. in bootcamp windows 8.1 on same machine there is no problem. when I'm about to do something I know will cause the issue, I boot into windows, run the job and then go back into mac.

it's OpenCL on mac OS X.

not the new mac pros, D700, nothing.

it's OpenCL on mac OS X.

hopefully yosemite 10.2.2 will fix this. that's what I've been "told".

• Reply 124 of 134
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I think it's time for Apple to split into two companies- a mobile company and a computer company. Apple isn't giving as much attention and thought to the Mac anymore. This shows in making OS X more like iOS (blah!) instead of making iOS more like OS X. I don't need full screen Messages, Contacts, etc. apps for my 27" Cinema Display. In fact many full screen apps on my Mac are over 50% blank space. So silly.

And iTunes?? It's a total mess!! What used to be one of the friendliest, easiest to use pieces of software is now one of the most convoluted inefficient applications that Apple has released.

Well guess what, opinions are just that. iOS and OS X are following similar design trends, period. There is nothing wrong with it.

iTunes works just fine. It is great now, in fact.

• Reply 125 of 134

Well, well, a fact!?

Can't argue with a fact! …and its "great" as well.

Not really a muddled dog's breakfast, where you can't find half the UI and it suffers constant churn from Apple, and not for the better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restarter View Post

hopefully XXXX will fix this.

That is the sad refrain for just about everything on the Mac these days. Months pass, years pass and still Hopefully Apple will fix it.

It used to be It just works!

Apple loses interest very quickly, and you are the one stuck with the problem.

As to the previous claims that it is not hardware, honestly you may be right, you also may be wrong. I go on my long experience. Time will tell, but you will be stuck with the problem. Which is why given the obscene amount of money you have paid for your equipment, it should be Apple's problem not yours!

• Reply 126 of 134
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Restarter View Post

it's OpenCL on mac OS X.

i have a 2012 mac pro with 4 x AMD r9 280x 6gb cards in an expander chassis and see the exact same issue as the new mac pro users. this card is the normal pc retail version of the D700. (they often show up as D700 in system info).

I have the described issue in mavericks and yosemite. in bootcamp windows 8.1 on same machine there is no problem. when I'm about to do something I know will cause the issue, I boot into windows, run the job and then go back into mac.

it's OpenCL on mac OS X.

not the new mac pros, D700, nothing.

it's OpenCL on mac OS X.

hopefully yosemite 10.2.2 will fix this. that's what I've been "told".

Wow 4 GPU cards in an external Chasis, I have a single Tesla card in an external ThunderPort Chasis but I couldn't imagine ever needing 4 R9 280x's.

• Reply 127 of 134
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

iTunes works just fine. It is great now, in fact.

I am just trying to wrestle this PoS to the deck, doing something I have done hundreds of times before.

I am RIPing an Audiobook to put on my iPod Touch. All the usual UI for RIPing, combining tracks and applying authors etc have been moved, rearranged and made way more difficult to find and select.

Finally succeeded in getting the RIPs, and locating them scattered through my Library, I select all 8 RIPs to turn them into a commonly named album with track numbers, it stubbornly refuses to apply the common album name to all Tracks selected at the same time. So I have to pick out each one, one by one and change them individually. One track stubbornly refuses to change its name. I try and trick it into doing it, by making them a compilation, adding cover artwork and finally forcing a refresh. All of this after hunting for my RIPS scattered who knows where in this sh¡te of a UI.

Finally think I have got all the tracks with the same Album name, artist/author etc with the Album artwork looking like it is finally applying (3rd attempt) and they all disappear. Hunt through the Music folder in the library and they are nowhere to be found.

Like almost all the recent software Apple has come out with in the last year and a half it is buggy, painful to use and a huge waste of time and not to be trusted.

How can that counter "iTunes works just fine. It is great now, in fact."

Is there anyone left amongst Mac users who actually knows what is going on? Or even notices when Apple switches the iWork Apps on users with completely different icons and UI and hundreds of features missing and riddled with bugs?

• Reply 128 of 134
    relic wrote: »
    Wow 4 GPU cards in an external Chasis, I have a single Tesla card in an external ThunderPort Chasis but I couldn't imagine ever needing 4 R9 280x's.
    280x is an old not very fast card but these have 6gb ram which is nice. This is needed for Davinci Resolve.
    Possibly Titan X rumored with 12gb ram and 3000 cores. May be switching to a couple of those as Apple seems unable to get their ---- together with opencl. So lame.
  • Reply 129 of 134
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    My hunch is this model is a one off and we will never see an upgrade or Mark II.

Interesting theory. I think you're wrong. This isn't an iPod shuffle we're talking about here.
  • Reply 130 of 134
    d-oned-one Posts: 1member

You are looking at this through your one good "Apple" eye?

I have personally had 6 Macs with major problems, two had to eventually be recalled, and that did not count the many I had in studios which plagued us with all sorts of minor issues. That does not make me pick on Apple at all, just I can not let the Apple exceptionalism pass.

I have had much fewer PCs so not such a large sample, not without problems, but they were cheaply and quickly fixed, so didn't fester.

Dell still sells vastly more computers than Apple and higher end models as well. That it sells them cheaply and still does so so successfully shows they are just in a different market than Apple. My view is Dell's inferior rating is over stated, as is Apple's superior rating. That does not mean I would buy a Dell over an Apple, it is also no comfort to my brother's neighbour or anyone who has a problem with their purchase.

Wow....you've had 6 faulty Macs??? U must be the most unlucky guy on the planet.
    I've been through 3 different PC's (1 of them a Dell 2x Asus)....I currently only own 1 PC, which is a Custom build, as my 4th PC. If things go wrong with it I can easily replace parts and reinstall Windows w/o all the bloatware and crap that comes preinstalled on stock PC's. I imagine it will last as long as I want it to throw $ in it considering its custom. But I also own 3 Mac's that I've never had issues with. 1 Macbook was bought in 2008 and it still works like new.....only thing I've replaced is a faster hard drive. Most reliable computer brand I've ever owned is Mac's. That's some seriously horrible luck if you've been through 6...
  • Reply 131 of 134
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member

I have had quite a few Macs so am well versed in which ones were duds.

2 of them were the 24" white iMacs which had known overheating problems because of inadequate ventilation (shame on Apple for concealing this) which would cook the solder particularly on the graphics card and motherboard if they were heat stressed. There was a huge forum devoted to the issues.

Another total lemon was the Cube and a G5 PowerMac that also cooked itself. A G4 PowerMac that trashed its hard drive in short order after purchase but subtly waiting till I had done quite a bit of work but hadn't backed up yet (it was new, it caught me on the hop).

My 27" iMac did the same thing to me, it had a bad Seagate drive which was a known issue before Apple sold it to me, no warning was emailed to me, unlike all the Post Sale Spam that Apple had no trouble conveying to me.

A 24" aluminium iMac went through 2 major repairs before I demanded a brand new replacement, which my son now has, and is still working fine.

My wife's white Macbook was another overheated, under cooled dud. It worked but after a while it would run slow as molasses and the fan would kick in. You'd have to shut it down and let it cool off just so you could get a break from the constant fan rush. Eventually it cooked its hard drive, which at least I could replace myself without having to pay Apple an arm and a leg for such a simple service.

I talk to people waiting for the Genius Bar. Lots of people have problems with their Macs but somehow feel it is all their fault, because Apple puts out this teflon coated reputation, largely manufactured and maintained by throwing problems back at their customers and covering it all with a cloak of silence.

By contrast the original iMacs are tough as nails. I still have two, not just in perfect working order but they still look brand new.

My brother by contrast swears by his Dell laptops. He travels a lot and they take a lot of abuse but have never given him any problems. 

• Reply 132 of 134

You can add another. I gave my last white iMac 24" as a replacement to my Father after his iMac packed it in. It has had a good run but my father needed something that runs AppleWorks.

Unfortunately he lives in a much warmer locale than I and used it near a sunny window, it has cooked itself too.

Am currently looking for an economical replacement graphics card. 

You get caught in the cleft stick of replacements/repairs for Macs are expensive but the Macs have lost value past the point worth spending the money.

• Reply 133 of 134
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Does Apple have a note on the box instructing users not to operate the machines in direct sunlight?

If not, class action suit starts in 5...4...3...

• Reply 134 of 134
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Does Apple have a note on the box instructing users not to operate the machines in direct sunlight?

If not, class action suit starts in 5...4...3...

No, but they do specify operating temperature ranges (10°C to 35°C on current iMacs), which are easily exceeded in direct sunlight in warm locations.