This week on AppleInsider: 'iPhone 6s' dates, Apple Music numbers, Apple down under & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
With the summer coming to a close, news also seemed to pick up this week -- encompassing some large legal and financial developments for Apple, and all but spelling out plans to launch new iPhones next month.

Apple issues first Australian bond, faces 'naming and shaming' for tax avoidance

The bond, issued on Thursday Australian time, reportedly raised as much as AU$1.2 billion, or approximately $883 million. Apple has run multiple bond offerings around the world in order to fuel dividends and buybacks for investors without repatriating cash to the United States.

Apple's financial practices proved a point of controversy in Australia earlier in the week, thanks to a proposed "name and shame" register for companies that use legal loopholes to avoid paying normal taxes where they do most of their business. Apple in particular funnels much of its international revenue through countries like Ireland and Singapore.

Leaks point to preorder, launch dates for new iPhones

A Friday report indicated that Apple plans to start preorders for the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus on Sept. 11. That date is just two days after a rumored press event, and consistent with Apple's recent iPhone launch strategies.

Likewise, both that report and an earlier one hinted that the phones will ship on Sept. 18. Neither story made mention of a rumored low-cost iPhone 6c.

USPTO challenges iPhone patent, Samsung aims for Supreme Court

FOSS Patents discovered that earlier in August, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issued a non-final decision invalidating a key iPhone patent. The ruling could undermine Apple's 2012 victory in a patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung, worth $548 million.

Indeed Samsung submitted a court filing on Wednesday, stating its intent to bring an appeal of the awarded damages to the Supreme Court. If its petition is heard and successful, Samsung could potentially knock hundreds of millions off the sum it owes.

Most Apple Music trial customers still using service, Apple insists

On Tuesday a research firm called MusicWatch suggested that only 52 percent of Apple Music's trial subscribers were still using the service. Hoping to nix bad publicity, Apple quickly issued numbers of its own, claiming active listnership was really 79 percent.

The true test will come in October, once the first trials expire and customers have to begin paying for access. Earlier this month Apple revealed that its service has roughly 11 million subscribers, but some of those could evaporate when faced with paying $10 to $15 per month.

Video backs claims 'iPhone 6s' will use tougher aluminum

An Unbox Therapy video claimed that shell tests proved the iPhone 6s will use 7000-series aluminum, making it sturdier than its predecessors. The iPhone 6 Plus in particular was at the center of a "bendgate" controversy, following complaints it could permanently warp in someone's pocket.

Apple already uses 7000-series aluminum in the Apple Watch Sport. Although not as tough as the stainless steel in the mid-tier Apple Watch, the material helps make the Sport a practical wearable, safer from bumps and scratches.

AppleInsider podcast

Our editors assembled to talk topics like a self-driving Apple Car, Apple TV plans, and new gadgets like the iHome ISP5 smartplug and Photokite Phi tethered drone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

On my iMac Apple Music isn't on iTunes and a restart of iTunes won't fix it and iTunes is fully up to date. iTunes stores tells me to update the version on iTunes I have installed to get Apple Music? MacBook Air and my iPhone are fine. What gives?

I'm restarting the computer now to see. One sec...

• Reply 2 of 8
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    What are the downsides to using 7000 series aluminium? Even cost of material, cost of milling due to needing more expensive machinery and/or replacing bits more often, and speed of milling are downsides.

ireland wrote: »
    On my iMac Apple Music isn't on iTunes and a restart of iTunes won't fix it and iTunes is fully up to date. iTunes stores tells me to update the version on iTunes I have installed to get Apple Music? MacBook Air and my iPhone are fine. What gives?

I'm restarting the computer now to see. One sec...

Is Show Apple Music checked in iTunes » Preferences » General tab?

PS: My iTunes version is 12.2.2.25.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I would say that at this point, iPhone 6S is a pointless upgrade. iPhone 7 will be out the same time next year and will have all the features of iPhone 6/6S but with newer shape or look. If anyone needs an upgrade, save the money and get a refurb 6. There's no killer feature, you will still get iOS9.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    vision33r wrote: »
    I would say that at this point, iPhone 6S is a pointless upgrade. iPhone 7 will be out the same time next year and will have all the features of iPhone 6/6S but with newer shape or look. If anyone needs an upgrade, save the money and get a refurb 6. There's no killer feature, you will still get iOS9.

:???: You can't be serious! You have no idea what new HW will be in this year's iPhone but you're claiming it's "a pointless upgrade" because it won't have a "new shape or look"? Come on, enough with the trolling.
  • Reply 5 of 8

You seem to have already seen the 6s in person and are basing your statements on that experience, I'm jealous. Can you also confirm the shipping dates, amount of storage space(s) and new colors if any? Thanks

• Reply 6 of 8
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Sorry. but may I suggest your post is just trash.  You don't know the iPhone 6s specs. I have some ideas, but just my guesses.

BTW I don't need a new shape, a flat longer than wide flat iPhone is just what I want.

Yes I know that other electronics company is now making everything curved, TVs, etc.   They just want to be different.

Recently I learned the (flawed) 3D TV they brought out, is now basically useless because of lack of 3D programs.  :\

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Sorry. but may I suggest your post is just trash.  You don't know the iPhone 6s specs. I have some ideas, but just my guesses.

BTW I don't need a new shape, a flat longer than wide flat iPhone is just what I want.

Yes I know that other electronics company is now making everything curved, TVs, etc.   They just want to be different.

Recently I learned the (flawed) 3D TV they brought out, is now basically useless because of lack of 3D programs.  :\

The past 4 years and since Steve Jobs death, the industry watchers have spied and guessed correctly on Apple unreleased products.  This site especially has reported on spied prototypes correctly.  

Apple is not releasing a flat screen TV, it 's a losing commodity.  Apple is focused on content delivery and the Apple TV will be just a tiny stick or box.  That's how Amazon Fire TV stick and box is winning and beating the current Apple TV.  

Apple TV in it's current form is the weaker choice compare to all other devices currently.  It's sad that the 2nd gen Apple TV jailbroken is more in demand than the 3rd gen which tells you that people want content of their own choice vs locked down limited choices.

• Reply 8 of 8
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

The past 4 years and since Steve Jobs death, the industry watchers have spied and guessed correctly on Apple unreleased products.  This site especially has reported on spied prototypes correctly.  

Apple is not releasing a flat screen TV, it 's a losing commodity.  Apple is focused on content delivery and the Apple TV will be just a tiny stick or box.  That's how Amazon Fire TV stick and box is winning and beating the current Apple TV.  

Apple TV in it's current form is the weaker choice compare to all other devices currently.  It's sad that the 2nd gen Apple TV jailbroken is more in demand than the 3rd gen which tells you that people want content of their own choice vs locked down limited choices.

I didn't comment on the Apple TV device,  which isn't an actual TV, but since you brought it up I will.

I agree with you on the Apple TV device, that's why I bought another much more flexible TV adapter box.