Apple can't outrun China worries, stock drops into bear territory

Comments

• Reply 121 of 177
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Go look at the graph, it goes back to 2007, pre-crisis.   China sales are 26% of Apples global revenue, not 50%+.

@e1618978 :    I said Apple's global "iPhones" sales, not their overall revenue.   Further, the crisis (or recession) started in late 2007 and there are only two data quarterly points (so there is really no pre-2007 data).

• Reply 122 of 177
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

@e1618978 :    I said Apple's global "iPhones" sales, not their overall revenue.   Further, the crisis (or recession) started in late 2007 and there are only two data quarterly points (so there is really no pre-2007 data).

Where did you find iPhone revenue in China vs the rest of the world?

• Reply 123 of 177
    tooltalk wrote: »
    (seems to explain why you are on my "block list")

I am on YOUR block list!? Wow. Thank you, really genuinely, thank you, for that badge of honor.

Now, buzz off again. Please.
  • Reply 124 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am on YOUR block list!? Wow. Thank you, really genuinely, thank you, for that badge of honor.

Now, buzz off again. Please.

@anantksundaram : sure, anything to call out your nonsensical economics batsh*t.  Too bad this isn't DailyKos.

• Reply 125 of 177
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

No surprises?   Wouldn't you expect at least some impact to show up in that graph relating to the 2008/2009 financial crisis?   The spikes are not about new iPhones, btw, they are Christmas sales.

Bitcoin has amazing utility for most of the people in the world:

- Go ask a prostitute who advertises on backpage.com, bitcoin has allowed them to keep operating even though MasterCard and Visa tried to kill the site.

- Go ask a phillipino maid living in the US and remitting money back home, bitcoin has allowed them to reduce the cost of foreign remittances by over 99% and increase the speed from days to less than 10 minutes.

- Go ask a farmer trying to do a wire transfer to another country to buy a farm, bitcoin is way faster and cheaper.

Bitcoin is already guaranteed to take over the foreign remittance and wire transfer business due to the huge advantage it has - which means that it will be something that both very rich and very poor use very often.  Only the middle class is ignoring it.

Go look at the graph, it goes back to 2007, pre-crisis.   China sales are 26% of Apples global revenue, not 50%+.

Right... I'm ignoring because you talk nonsense.

• Reply 126 of 177
    Sog35 was banned a couple of days ago. I have no doubt he'll be back. Soon.

However he'll be self-banning at the end of the year anyway, so why bother?

Incidentally, the Chinese stock market is plummeting again today, falling almost 9% last I checked. Changed my AAPL buy order to several orders at $90 and $80. Who knows how ugly it's going to get for US markets tomorrow morning...

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/.SSEC
  • Reply 127 of 177
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    tmay wrote: »
    Won't help current AAPL stockholders, but a great buying opportunity for all when AAPL hits bottom.

A good time for Apple to buy back their own stock?
  • Reply 128 of 177
    mcdave wrote: »
    A good time for Apple to buy back their own stock?

Of course, however aren't these events timed so they can't be accused of manipulating their own stock? I assume (perhaps wrongly) that their buybacks happen whether the stock is up or down.
  • Reply 129 of 177
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

However he'll be self-banning at the end of the year anyway, so why bother?

Incidentally, the Chinese stock market is plummeting again today, falling almost 9% last I checked. Changed my AAPL buy order to several orders at $90 and $80. Who knows how ugly it's going to get for US markets tomorrow morning...

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/.SSEC

I'm at $87. I was comfortable at 97.00 a week ago. 

• Reply 130 of 177
    atlapple wrote: »

I'm at $87. I was comfortable at 97.00 a week ago. 

"Be greedy when others are fearful." (That's half of the quote, anyway).
  • Reply 131 of 177
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

@anantksundaram : Sure,  Apple has $55B in debt -- AND about $180+B in cash all over the world.  That's after having distributed $60+B in dividends in the past few years.  Further, Apple makes profit pretty much every year; there hasn't been any surplus in gov't since 1957 -- when the fiscal-conservative Eisenhower was the prez.

Wrong.... http://www.davemanuel.com/history-of-deficits-and-surpluses-in-the-united-states.php

Clinton left GW with a surplus.

• Reply 132 of 177
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    splif wrote: »

Nope:

"The Bill Clinton Myth goes something like this. After “mismanagement” of the economy by President George H.W. Bush, which resulted in the recession that coincided with the 1992 election, Clinton took office and “managed the economy” wisely during his eight year presidency. Clinton’s “centrist policies” were just what the economy needed at a time of technological revolution, and his wise stewardship resulted in not only unprecedented growth and low unemployment for the economy, but balanced budgets and even surpluses for the federal government. By the time Clinton left office, the United States was more powerful economically than it had been at any time in its history.

Like the Populist Myth of the 19th Century, this one is a great story, but none of it is true. While even some Republicans begrudgingly credit Clinton with the mythical budget surpluses or the equally mythical prosperity in the 1990’s, they do themselves a disservice in regard to their quest to discredit every Democrat who ever (or will ever) lived.

In reality, there were no federal government surpluses. The lion’s share of the prosperity was a Federal Reserve-created bubble (the dot com bubble) and what real economic growth there was occurred despite Clinton’s policies, not because of them.

It might be necessary to go back and read that last sentence again. It is heresy, as surely as Galileo’s heliocentrism was to the Inquisition. It’s also just as true."

http://www.tommullen.net/featured/the-bill-clinton-myth-finally-debunked/#sthash.non7BcVt.dpuf
  • Reply 133 of 177

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">And, please: I could care less about Krugman, let alone be a "daft supporter" of his. All you have are poorly formed views based on zero empirical evidence from questionable sources, and you pass it off as bold economics predictions. Do you even have a degree in economics, to be able to make the forecasts you are making?</span>

Speak English man!
  • Reply 134 of 177
    e1618978 wrote: »

In order to allow an increase, a software update would be required - and all the mining nodes in the world would have to agree to that update and start using the software.   The miners have no incentive to do this, since it would destroy trust and therefore destroy all value in the bitcoin economy - every vested interest that is built on top of bitcoin would fight it.

You could never get a consensus big enough to implement the change.

Keep telling yourself Bitcoin is safe from manipulation. Consensus is easy if the majority of miners are owned by a few with the resources to keep in the mining game. Then they will control the future of Bitcoin.
  • Reply 135 of 177
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think the market fears of Apple slowing growth in China are overblown. On the last earnings call Cook did not sound alarm bells on China. He can't lie to investors on earnings calls. If Apple was seeing a slowdown in China Cook couldn't show up for an earnings call and say just the opposite.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/24/guest-column-why-chinas-economic-gyrations-will-not-affect-apple/?xid=yahoo_fortune
  • Reply 136 of 177
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I think the market fears of Apple slowing growth in China are overblown. On the last earnings call Cook did not sound alarm bells on China. He can't lie to investors on earnings calls. If Apple was seeing a slowdown in China Cook couldn't show up for an earnings call and say just the opposite.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/24/guest-column-why-chinas-economic-gyrations-will-not-affect-apple/?xid=yahoo_fortune

The Chinese stock market is to Chinese investors what a day at the horse races is for gamblers. If you thought US companies had problems, China's command economy is fraud based on fraud based on yet more fraud.
  • Reply 137 of 177
    Complete BS!
    The suckers have been suckered again.
  • Reply 138 of 177
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member

It's a giant #$%^ sandwich, and we're all gonna take a bite. 

I wouldn't be too worried about the bottom dropping out of Apple, there is too much support there.  It will get taken down with the other sinking stocks/indexes, but will rise back with everyone else.  If you sold out of the market a couple of weeks ago, then get ready for a GREAT re-entry point. 

• Reply 139 of 177
    Great. I'll buy share under 95 US$. Great potential.
  • Reply 140 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Markets in Asia lost 4-5% on Monday. If the US follows suit, Apple should end up just under $100.