Swatch CEO calls Apple Watch an 'interesting toy,' voices privacy concerns

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

He has a point about battery life.  Mine will last almost two days but to get a good daily rhythm I am getting a 2nd watch (42mm SS for daily use, 38mm sport to sleep and exercise with).  

His comments remind me of this though:

Balsillie on the iPhone in February 2007: "It’s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that’s overstating it."

Read more:  http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-ceo-quotes-2011-9#ixzz3jjvbftHj

• Reply 22 of 94
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Did he trademark "one more shitty thing"?
  • Reply 23 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Here is how I think the traditional watch makers are best suited to use their skills for the modern world: Connected watches. Essentially these are the feature phones of watches, but with the strong fashion and collectables aspects of traditional watches that cellphones never had I think it's how they will be able to compete in a world where they aren't likely to fully grasp the modern CE.

nolamacguy wrote: »
    it's amazing how quickly the hours roll by and the reminder to stand up and walk around are killer for me.

Even with the stand reminders 50 minutes after the hour I fail to notice them the majority of the time when I'm focused on a task. I have, as of today, added an alarm complication to my face and set it for an hour so I can have that repeated alarm vibration to stand when I know I'll be seated for over an hour. I hope the next Watch has a stronger haptic engine, but they could also resolve the issue if they allow an option to vibrate longer or even push a notification to my my iPhone and/or Mac (whichever is actively in use) to remind me to stand up.
    have never needed it to get out of a museum.

You know what belongs in a museum? Nick Hayek's dismissive, boilerplate comments about a new Apple product category.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    rogifan wrote: »
    This whole battery life argument to me is kind of stupid.unless you're going to be someplace where you have no access to power for several days why does it matter whether your watch needs a charge every day, two days or once a week?

Exactly. I agree completely. And if you are in a place like that, there also is likely no internet or cell service, so your ? Watch might be able to last a few days anyway, since you theoretically wouldn't be using it for anything other than timekeeping and health tracking.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Even with the stand reminders 50 minutes after the hour I fail to notice them the majority of the time when I'm focused on a task. I have, as of today, added an alarm complication to my face and set it for an hour so I can have that repeated alarm vibration to stand when I know I'll be seated for over an hour. I hope the next Watch has a stronger haptic engine, but they could also resolve the issue if they allow an option to vibrate longer or even push a notification to my my iPhone and/or Mac (whichever is actively in use) to remind me to stand up.

I would like a stronger haptic engine also, but just a suggestion: I have my ? Watch set with Prominent Haptic turned on and that helps me with those concerns quite a bit. ????????
  • Reply 26 of 94
    This guy really does not sound like a visionary and more like a buffoon. But the truth is there are concerns about putting anything in the cloud, encrypted or not.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    ah, I see you haven't used one yet.

It is rather easy to pick these individuals out, isn't it. ?
  • Reply 28 of 94
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

Well what did you expect him to say...  Not everyone wants an Apple Watch believe it or not. I am not sold on health tracking for people that do not have a condition that needs that kind of monitoring either but to each his own. I think AW is not a fully developed product and it's usefulness (for me) is not there yet. Even Apple's own commercials are selling "lifestyle" over function, I guess if I am lost in a museum someone watching me from a distance can draw and arrow and send it to me, ahhh that is not enough for me. 

You do know that Watch primarily tracks activity.  The heartbeat data is collected in this context, to allow users to gauge their fitness level.  There's no pretense that the Apple Watch is tracking your health.  

• Reply 29 of 94
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

If the way I've seen traditional watch makers tout storing your credit/debit cards for NFC-based payments is accurate then the privacy concerns fall on them, not Apple.

1) No, they don't lose control of it.

2) It would be nice to have the option to keep the data locally on the device. We wouldn't your daily step count falling into the wrong hands now, would we? Worst… Bond… Villian… EVER!

Are you taking responsibility if the data stored on the NFC chip is used by without permission? The banks are gonna love you if you do.

Bottomline: This is a lot of pooh-poohing for something that is only a 'toy' with no threat to your traditional business model.

Same garbage came out when the the iPhone was introduced. In the near future, we all get to look back on these quotes and laugh.

• Reply 30 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What a fool. You don't downplay the competition unless you can back it up with a working product.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Apple doesn't make toys. Apple goes by the strictest privacy standards in the industry. He's blowing smoke or worse maybe he's smoking something.

Either way he doesn't have a clue.

• Reply 32 of 94
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

I get 4 days out of a single charge on my Sport edition, really impressed.

I get 4 years with my current watch

• Reply 33 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cropr wrote: »
    I get 4 years with my current watch

And? How long do you get from your word processor app on your "PC" over a paper and pen? Not a fair comparison? Why not, both can be used for writing, just as both wrist-worn devices can be used for telling time, which is the foundation for your ill-conceived comparison?
  • Reply 34 of 94
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Apple doesn't make toys. Apple goes by the strictest privacy standards in the industry. He's blowing smoke or worse maybe he's smoking something.

Either way he doesn't have a clue.

Making toys is a respectable business, so I would not mind that Apple is making toys.

In case you want to remain naive about Apple privacy policies  (and I don't mind you do) read this post:

http://scripting.com/2015/07/24/quickFollowupReGmailProblem.html

So in terms of not having clues, I am not sure who is right here.  Apple is as scary as all the other IT companies.  Only its great marketing makes you believe otherwise. 

• Reply 35 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I finally made a payment yesterday with mine. Starting to see some in the wild. Three or four times on TV announcers. One on a woman next to me at a stop light. Of course if you go to the Apple Store you'll see plenty. I'm not sure how all those sales associates can afford it. Maybe they get a really big discount.

• Reply 36 of 94
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

Why is this CEO trying to have it both ways? It's a toy but it's also a potential security and privacy risk that he cannot be responsible for. That doesn't sound like a toy to me.

• Reply 37 of 94
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This whole battery life argument to me is kind of stupid.unless you're going to be someplace where you have no access to power for several days why does it matter whether your watch needs a charge every day, two days or once a week? I charge my watch for about 1/2 hour before I got to bed, wear it to bed and charge it again while I'm in the shower the next morning. Not a big hassle at all. If I'm doing that every other day with watchOS 2 great. But I think battery life concerns are overblown. And I'm not sure how a Swatch smart watch with Android Wear is going to fare much better, unless the device is absolutely massive to allow for a much bigger battery.

Whenever anyone complains about Apple Watch battery life I simply ask them if they have a smartphone. They always do and the battery life is always worse than the Apple Watch's. If they don't feel as stupid as they look at that point, there's no helping them.

• Reply 38 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

I would like a stronger haptic engine also, but just a suggestion: I have my ? Watch set with Prominent Haptic turned on and that helps me with those concerns quite a bit. ????????

The trick is to crank up the sound. While you can miss the sound or the haptics, the unique combination of both helps your brain detect in the presence of noise.

• Reply 39 of 94
    he even looks like Lazaridis...
  • Reply 40 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mieswall wrote: »
    he even looks like Lazaridis...

I thought he looked a little like a homeless Robert De Niro.