Swatch CEO calls Apple Watch an 'interesting toy,' voices privacy concerns

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Whenever anyone complains about Apple Watch battery life I simply ask them if they have a smartphone. They always do and the battery life is always worse than the Apple Watch's. If they don't feel as stupid as they look at that point, there's no helping them.

yes - i thought the nightly routine of removing my watch and placing it on the charger would be a pain, but it isn't. In fact, I would often remove my previous watch sometime late evening, meaning i often had to search in the morning as to where i put it.

My biggest gripe about the 24 hours, is when i travel for a single overnight stray (frequent) its annoying to take the long charger cable.

• Reply 42 of 94
    If I was on the Swatch board, I'd be looking for a new CEO. He appears to be a very ignorant man.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

yes - i thought the nightly routine of removing my watch and placing it on the charger would be a pain, but it isn't. In fact, I would often remove my previous watch sometime late evening, meaning i often had to search in the morning as to where i put it.

My biggest gripe about the 24 hours, is when i travel for a single overnight stray (frequent) its annoying to take the long charger cable.

Yeah, I do see a big market in the future for a Y cable that charges both iPhone and Apple Watch.

• Reply 44 of 94
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

This dude looks like a homeless drunk troll!

• Reply 45 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smcarter View Post

If I was on the Swatch board, I'd be looking for a new CEO. He appears to be a very ignorant man.

yes - ignorant and stupidly negative. He could have faintly praised the apple watch - while promising to overcome its 'obvious' shortcomings - battery life, display not always on, only works with iPhone, square shape etc...

• Reply 46 of 94

Swatch is a 'Behemoth?' I have barely had any awareness of them since the 80s.

Must be big overseas, where the 80s never ended.

• Reply 47 of 94
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    The pot calling the kettle black with their overpriced plastic toy watches...
  • Reply 48 of 94
    Nick being Nick.
    Nick just being a dick with his inaccurate FUD.
    Selling what he has.
    Old tech with new design.
    Denigrating the new tech that will eat his lunch.

I think the new smart swatch is attractive. But it is the real toy with its subset of functionality that I currently enjoy on my ?Watch.

Can't wait for the added functionality and extended battery life with wOS2; then SMH will fall further behind with its incomplete fast follower strategy.

I also think Nick was a major A-hole for trademarking SJ's signature "One More Thing" phrase and am looking forward to Apple slamming it out of court but in a way that denies any free positive publicity built on stealing the words of a dead man.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    applezilla wrote: »

Huge all over the world. Don't think of the cheap Swatch watches that had a spike in popularity in the 80s, look up Swatch Group to see how many brands they control.

PS: "Where the 80s never ended" was really only in communist nations with little importation and well before the Internet. These days you can go pretty much anywhere in the world and they know about the latest news, media and fashion.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

What do people expect a CEO to say? "Apple caught us flat footed. We didn't believe any of the rumors, and they've revolutionized wearables in one felled swoop. I'm hoping we can maybe salvage some market for people that want a simple watch. Maybe look to people that have AOL dialup and flip phones. They might be interested in what we can make without doing any real innovation. Because reasons."

• Reply 51 of 94
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    That thing on his wrist in the picture looks more like a "toy" than the Apple Watch does. lol
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Their pricey Breitlings and Pateks will presume their rightful place in a drawer alongside pocket watches.

My Baume et Mercier already has.

Just out of wistfulness, I put it on the other day (had to shake it quite a bit for it to start moving again), and noticed how heavy and chunky it felt on my wrist.

• Reply 53 of 94
    Wait. Which one looks like a toy again? I'm with the commenter above: This guy is sounding like the previous Blackberry CEOs.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I've always thought of them as Toy Watches!!!!  A 80's fad.  I'm kind of shocked they're still around.  Then again I haven't worn a watch is YEARS!!!!  Maybe the Apple Watch will be the one to get me to wear one again, but these days I wait for at least a second generation device.  I didn't get my first iPhone until the iPhone 4, my first iPad until iPad 3 and my first AppleTV until the 3rd generation.  I used to be a early adopter.  I was first in line for a TIVO back in the late 90's for example.  (In fact i just came back to TIVO with a Roamio OTA Box a couple months ago after 20+ years of Cable Box's until I cut the cord a number of years ago and went with Media Center.) To get away from all the VHS recording was a huge plus.  A Apple Watch, is for me not a big rush out and buy one device.  I can wait.  

One thing is for sure, If/When I do buy a watch, Swatch would be way down on the bottom of my list.

• Reply 55 of 94

The watch Nick Hayek appears to be wearing is the upcoming Swatch Touch Zero One that is geared towards tracking volleyball activity. From what I have read about the watch, the Touch Zero One will send data from the watch to the volleyball player's smartphone using NFC.

One thing I hope Nick Hayek is aware of is Watch OS 2 developers will be able to create volleyball apps for the Apple Watch that will compete with the Swatch volleyball watch. So, the "interesting toy" that Swatch will be competing with is a watch that can be extended by a lot of application developers around the world. Unless I missed something, I do not think the Touch Zero One can be extended by application developers. If Watch OS 2 developers can create volleyball apps that are as good as the Swatch Touch Zero One, Nick Hayek just might be speaking much differently before December 31, 2015.

One more thing, if the Touch Zero One will have a payments capability that competes with Apple Pay and other payment systems, how easy will the Touch Zero One payment usability be? Apple Pay has nailed ease of use on the iPhone and Apple Watch. Having a payments capability just to have a payments capability does not mean the payments capability should exist.

• Reply 56 of 94
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Exactly. I agree completely. And if you are in a place like that, there also is likely no internet or cell service, so your ? Watch might be able to last a few days anyway, since you theoretically wouldn't be using it for anything other than timekeeping and health tracking.

It's dumb. Of course a computer on your wrist isn't going to have the same battery life as an analog watch but if you have to charge it why does it matter if it's once a day, or once every two days? And the only way to get anything close to a week is a device with a crappy display that doesn't do much. The last thing I want to look at every day is a crappy pebble display.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

For years the trolls have called Apple products ‘toys’ that couldn’t perform ‘real’ work. This guy knows he is going to get his ass handed to him on a platter by Tim Cook. Mr. Hayek, go take one more look at the Steve Ballmer video laughing at the iPhone. That’ll be you in another year or so. 

• Reply 58 of 94
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This whole battery life argument to me is kind of stupid.unless you're going to be someplace where you have no access to power for several days why does it matter whether your watch needs a charge every day, two days or once a week? I charge my watch for about 1/2 hour before I got to bed, wear it to bed and charge it again while I'm in the shower the next morning. Not a big hassle at all. If I'm doing that every other day with watchOS 2 great. But I think battery life concerns are overblown. And I'm not sure how a Swatch smart watch with Android Wear is going to fare much better, unless the device is absolutely massive to allow for a much bigger battery.

Because nerds who do nothing but troll message boards all day, and have no social life, have no "time" to connect it to a charger before they sleep. Or something like that. The fact that this is the biggest "complaint" against the Apple Watch just proves how solid of a product it is. 

• Reply 59 of 94
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Nick Hayek learns about the ? watch 2 during a livestream keynote event of Apple ...

source: the Devil's advocate

• Reply 60 of 94
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Ladies & gentlemen I introduce to you the new Ed Colligan.