Tim Cook refutes China worries, calls Apple's growth 'strong' in rare mid-quarter update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm going by what Tim Cook told the Wall Street Journal last year. He said iPhone would be the main revenue driver for Apple for the next 5 years.

Hmmmmmm... So that''s when we can expect the Apple Car?

• Reply 62 of 90
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't know exactly when Cook responded to Cramer's email but I'm going to assume before he hit send the email was reviewed and approved by Apple finance and legal departments as OK to send.

Possibly. But officers of the company are authorized to speak for the company. Officers obviously don't have to clear everything with legal, such as when they speak extemporaneously in shareholder Q&As, press interviews, etc.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    thompr wrote: »

Didn't you get the memo?

Sog is an expert on absolutely everything.

He's well-connected. :lol:
  • Reply 64 of 90
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member

I certainly hope Tim is out there buying more stock... Wait... maybe this mornings rebound was Tim on a buying spree...

• Reply 65 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Eric Jackson is saying we should all be worried because Cook's comments show he's too focused on the stock.

http://realmoney.thestreet.com/articles/08/24/2015/why-tim-cooks-email-jim-cramer-should-worry-apple-investors

Considering Apple is dead silent on future plans and product roadmaps I see nothing wrong with Cook once in a while sending out a statement or making a comment to reassure investors. The stock is down 21% over the last 3 months (down 5% YTD), mostly on China fears. If Cook thinks those fears are overblown is it wrong for him to comment when asked?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised Jackson is saying this as he's slammed Apple for doing stock buybacks saying the company should have spent the money on acquisitions like Twitter or Netflix instead.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Who cares.

The SEC should be happy that Tim did that.  He literally saved the stock market from going into full bear mode.

If Apple tanks the entire US stock market will tank.

Tim did not "literally" save the stock market today. He had nothing to do with it at all. Stop acting like the world lives and dies by Apple. It doesn't.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Actually, I'd like for someone to actually do the research into how Apple buys back its own stock. Is it handled by a brokerage? Is it timed (in other words, does it happen automatically every week or once a month, or something)? Is it something that takes advantage of drastic market corrections? My impression is that it all happens on a schedule and is executed by a disinterested third party, but my impression could be incorrect. It would be imprudent for the CEO to have a hand in directing someone to make stock purchases because of the conflict of interest.

For the reporters and story contributors, here are the people Apple lists on their site.

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/04/27Apple-Expands-Capital-Return-Program-to-200-Billion.html

Investor Relations Contacts:

Nancy Paxton

Apple

[email protected]

(408) 974-5420

Joan Hoover

Apple

[email protected]

(408) 974-4570

• Reply 68 of 90
  • Reply 69 of 90
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Tim did not "literally" save the stock market today. He had nothing to do with it at all. Stop acting like the world lives and dies by Apple. It doesn't.

And right now the Dow is down almost 650 points (4%). So I'm not sure what Apple supposedly saved.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:

And right now the Dow is down almost 650 points (4%). So I'm not sure what Apple supposedly saved.

The Chinese stock market, their currency and their economy should be exposed as the fraud it is, just as the existence and role of the Fed in the US should be on the table.

• Reply 71 of 90
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No its Cook setting the record straight.

How can we know he's setting the record straight?

• Reply 72 of 90
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    The Dow was down 8% and the Nasdaq 9% before Apple lead the way to a recovery

Before the Cook letter the market was down 9% and heading to the abyst

Seriously!? Whether Tim wrote the letter today or not the market would of done the same thing. The letter had no effect on the entire market at all. It's down another 588 points for just today. Totaling over 1000 point drop in the last two trading sessions.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:

Eric Jackson is saying we should all be worried ...

W(ho)TF is Eric Jackson?

• Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No its Cook setting the record straight.

How can we know he's setting the record straight?

Yeah, we can't.

After all, he's known for his lying.?

• Reply 75 of 90
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    AAPL hit a 52-week low of $92, but still didn't quite reach my limit of $90.

Why does Tim talk to carnival barker Jim Cramer anyway? The man is a clown.

Your limit order is suspect. Just 3 days ago you said your order was at $95 http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/187828/apple-cant-outrun-china-worries-stock-drops-into-bear-territory#post_2764591

(though I completely agree on the Cramer comment)

QFT:
    As I've written before, (and this is not investing advice...for anyone) I have a buy order in for $95, just in case the market panics/engineers panic that continues to spread. I consider anything close to or below $100 for AAPL absolutely nuts and a great buy.

I didn't sign in purely to harass you, my original intent was to ask if your order went through, given that the price briefly touched $92. The meat of the question being to understand how good your brokerage is in situations like these. First, I'm assuming your order wasn't for tens of thousands of shares, and that you aren't a "VIP" with your brokerage (i.e. no "special" treatment). A limited number of shared traded below $95, but plenty enough to fill lots of retail orders.

So what's the deal? Did you really have a $95 limit order in place, or were you bullshitting us? Or did you change your order during the frenzy (in which case, why bother to say you have an outstanding $95 order if you're going to play games with it during the chop ((typically a bad idea unless you're in NY doing this professionally)) ).
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Your limit order is suspect. Just 3 days ago you said your order was at $95 http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/187828/apple-cant-outrun-china-worries-stock-drops-into-bear-territory#post_2764591

(though I completely agree on the Cramer comment)

QFT:

I didn't sign in purely to harass you, my original intent was to ask if your order went through, given that the price briefly touched $92. The meat of the question being to understand how good your brokerage is in situations like these. First, I'm assuming your order wasn't for tens of thousands of shares, and that you aren't a "VIP" with your brokerage (i.e. no "special" treatment). A limited number of shared traded below $95, but plenty enough to fill lots of retail orders.

So what's the deal? Did you really have a $95 limit order in place, or were you bullshitting us? Or did you change your order during the frenzy (in which case, why bother to say you have an outstanding $95 order if you're going to play games with it during the chop ((typically a bad idea unless you're in NY doing this professionally)) ).

After looking at the story in the Chinese market last night and this morning, I thought about it and adjusted my buy order down before the market opened, thinking the stock would fall even lower. That's why I chose $90. That did not happen today, but it does not concern me that my order didn't go through. I evaluated the situation and went with my gut. Just off by $2, but that's how it goes sometimes. ;)  I don't engage in "bet the house" trades and I'm not desperate for the money, so whether it went through or not won't have a major effect on my account. It remains to be seen what happens the rest of this week and, as always, I do not give investing advice.

• Reply 77 of 90
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

After looking at the story in the Chinese market last night, I thought about it and adjusted my buy order down before the market opened, thinking the stock would fall lower. That did not happen today, but it does not concern me that my order didn't go through. I evaluated the situation and went with my gut. Just off by $2, but that's how it goes sometimes. ;)  I don't engage in "bet the house" trades, so whether it went through or not won't have a major effect on my account.

Should have left it alone! Frankly, trying to make real-time adjustments to limit orders is a fool's game unless you're a professional. I play around the edges sometimes, but there's no way you can keep up with the pros or programmed trading swings. (edit: I see you did this before the open, and it could have been any time over the weekend, so fair enough)

Do you think your $95 limit order would have filled? It was likely only below $95 for a very short time. I'm very interested in these "flash" moves, and who gets their orders filled when they happen.

melgross, are you reading here? Any insights?
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Should have left it alone! Frankly, trying to make real-time adjustments to limit orders is a fool's game unless you're a professional. I play around the edges sometimes, but there's no way you can keep up with the pros or programmed trading swings.

Do you think your $95 limit order would have filled? It was likely only below $95 for a very short time. I'm very interested in these "flash" moves, and who gets their orders filled when they happen.

melgross, are you reading here? Any insights?

Would the $95 have gone through? No way to tell now, but my brokerage has been OK with my trades before.

I think Mel is "buy and hold" guy from way back also. He just happened to "buy" more and good on him for doing so.

• Reply 79 of 90
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I can't wait until there's other stuff in the pipeline where Apple will no longer be iPhone, Inc. I think we're 5 years out on that because I doubt we'll see a new major product from Apple before then.

not saying you are, but often we hear haters claiming Apple is a one trick pony (funny, considering all the different tricks over the last 30+ years...) and I don't really get the problem. so what if Apple is only soaking up profit from and delivering great phones, laptops and desktops? I need those things. I like those things.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    asdasd wrote: »
    You generally accumulate infractions -- a points system. Go over an amount and you are banned temporarily.

So they don't give any explanations?  I did not receive any warnings PM's on why I was banned.  Strange.

It's pretty much always for ad-homs. Infractions should be listed in your profile page. Yours are mostly variations of calling people clowns, fools, idiots etc. You don't need to have these explained every time you do it, you know those comments are against the forum rules and they are removed from the forum. If you never insult another member of the forum, you will most likely never get an infraction, it's that simple. They are completely unnecessary additions to comments, you can make exactly the same point without adding the insults. If you use insults a lot then the forum starts issuing temporary bans each time you do it. A few bans usually gets people to stop doing it.