VMware launches Fusion 8 with Windows 10 & OS X El Capitan support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited August 2015
VMware on Tuesday launched Fusion 8, an updated version of its virtualization tool for Mac users who want to run Windows -- or other operating systems -- without having to boot into the other OS.

The new software supports the finished version of Windows 10, including always-on Cortana access. Graphics support has only been updated to DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3 however, leaving out the new effects and performance improvements in DirectX 12.

For a boost, Fusion users can assign up to 2 gigabytes of video memory to a virtual machine. VMware is also promising optimization for Retina, 4K, and 5K displays.

Machines have full 64-bit support, and can each be assigned up to 16 vCPUs, 64 gigabytes of RAM, and 8 terabytes of storage.

The software also includes support for OS X El Capitan, not just as a base platform but for people with an earlier version of OS X wanting to test out compatibility. Users with the latest MacBooks can take advantage of technologies like USB-C and Force Touch.

Other changes include things like an improved Application Menu, easier virtual machine installation, better integration with VMware's vSphere server virtualization platform, and compatibility with new Linux distributions.

The regular edition of Fusion 8 is $80 new, or $50 as an upgrade. Fusion 8 Pro is available at prices of $200 and $120, respectively, and is required for things like linked clones, vSphere, vCloud Air, and imposed restrictions on virtual machines such as expiry dates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    According to the review on Arstachnica today, this has some bugs.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

According to the review on Arstachnica today, this has some bugs.

Of course it does. It has to support Windows 10, DirectX 10 as well as OS X 10.11, which is still in beta and will change before it's released. I'm not sure why they're releasing it now anyway, especially without any disclaimer.

"Fusion 8 Pro is ready for OS X El Capitan. Run Fusion 8 Pro on El Capitan with confidence knowing it deliver the experience that professionals expect. - See more at: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion-pro/features.html?src=WWW_FusionPro_US_HPPromo_Features#sthash.PuLptJE2.dpuf"

• Reply 3 of 14
    rob53 wrote: »

Of course it does. It has to support Windows 10, DirectX 10 as well as OS X 10.11, which is still in beta and will change before it's released. I'm not sure why they're releasing it now anyway, especially without any disclaimer.

"Fusion 8 Pro is ready for OS X El Capitan. Run Fusion 8 Pro on El Capitan with confidence knowing it deliver the experience that professionals expect. - See more at: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion-pro/features.html?src=WWW_FusionPro_US_HPPromo_Features#sthash.PuLptJE2.dpuf"

I don't understand your point. There are a couple of serious bugs. It's a product. There shouldn't have been a rush to release. They seem to know about the nastiest one, which they say they won't fix until a "." Release. That's just not right. I've upgraded to the new parallels, and it doesn't have any real bugs I can find that's serious.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

They seem to know about the nastiest one, which they say they won't fix until a "." Release.

From Ars...

Quote:

The bug in some cases causes the Windows Start screen to be unavailable when running Windows 10 in Unity mode, which runs Windows applications alongside Mac ones. 

Given it only occurs in Unity Mode and not consistently at that, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Given how Parallels operates, I would take that bug over Parallels any day of the week.

-kpluck

• Reply 5 of 14
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

From Ars...

Given it only occurs in Unity Mode and not consistently at that, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Given how Parallels operates, I would take that bug over Parallels any day of the week.

-kpluck

And how does Parallels operate?

• Reply 6 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

I don't understand your point. There are a couple of serious bugs. It's a product. There shouldn't have been a rush to release. They seem to know about the nastiest one, which they say they won't fix until a "." Release. That's just not right. I've upgraded to the new parallels, and it doesn't have any real bugs I can find that's serious.

My first sentence had a bit of sarcasm but I then asked the same question you just asked, "I'm not sure why they're releasing it now anyway, especially without any disclaimer." I agree with you. Why are they releasing a product that they know has bugs? 

• Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Urahara View Post

And how does Parallels operate?

Damn fine in my not so humble opinion.

VMWare is playing catchup with a lot of Parallels features including DirectX 10 support. We'll never see DirectX 12 at least not for a very long time but frankly from what I've read there's not much benefit to even physical Windows PCs.

I think Fusion is a great product but it has always been more buggier for me than Parallels (I know that's completely opposite to some people but that's how the cookie crumbles) and it has always been behind in features. I might play with the trial but frankly my money has been well spent in upgrading to the new version of Parallels.

• Reply 8 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member

The only complaint I have with VMWare Fusion is the fact that they don't give you a break on upgrade pricing if you're coming from version 7 versus version 6. People who have stayed up-to-date on each version don't catch a break over people who skipped a version. Technically and performance wise it is a very good product. 

• Reply 9 of 14

FYI out there: My version 7.1.2 doesn't work with the new Macbook SSD NVMe interface - there is a beta dev version that can run it - but not sure if the fix is in 8 or not - can't find out anywhere I've looked...

• Reply 10 of 14
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    dewme wrote: »
    The only complaint I have with VMWare Fusion is the fact that they don't give you a break on upgrade pricing if you're coming from version 7 versus version 6. People who have stayed up-to-date on each version don't catch a break over people who skipped a version. Technically and performance wise it is a very good product. 

are you sure about that? I think the upgrade price applies to 7 users as well.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

are you sure about that? I think the upgrade price applies to 7 users as well.

He's saying that version 7 users don't get a cheaper upgrade price than version 6 users.

Basically the EXACT same issue the haters of Parallels are railing on them for.

• Reply 12 of 14

VMWare Fusion is a good product -- and it is not surprising that they would rush to sync a new release with a new release of operating systems since it is a good way to maximize upgrade revenue.  I use to use VMWare workstation on Linux and Windows and it cost around $200 per license with of course "upgrade pricing" to match - now it is likely higher... and "OS X" users complain about a $49 upgrade price?  I use it to run Linux and Oracle RDBMS and it handles it fine....  and I love the fact it costs less than getting the equivalent product on another platform...

• Reply 13 of 14
    kpluck wrote: »
    From Ars...

-kpluck

Unity mode is a major feature, and if it doesn't work correctly, it's a big problem.

Most reviews and users, myself included, consider Parallels to be a superior product.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    rob53 wrote: »

My first sentence had a bit of sarcasm but I then asked the same question you just asked, "I'm not sure why they're releasing it now anyway, especially without any disclaimer." I agree with you. Why are they releasing a product that they know has bugs? 

Because they're in competition with Parallels, both companies release their new products about the same time, and the new Parallels has been released. I've already upgraded. I actually have both. But I don't like VM as much, as it usually has performance deficits when compared to Parallels.