Apple, Best Buy alliance grows with more Apple Watch locations, expanded in-store service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Electronics retailer Best Buy on Tuesday announced a substantial expansion of its partnership with Apple, a move that will include hundreds of new Apple Watch points of sale as well as a larger Apple presence in Best Buy stores.

Best Buy's Apple Watch rollout will expand from its current 100-store footprint to include all 1,050 outlets by the end of September, Best Buy chief executive Hubert Joly revealed during the company's quarterly earnings call. The Apple Watch hit Best Buy shelves earlier this month.

"Demand for Apple Watch has been so strong in the stores and online," Joly said, as noted by Fortune.

Changes are also coming to the retailer's dedicated in-store Apple shops. Some 740 of the outlets are being updated with new fixtures and a more expansive display area, with work expected to be complete at 520 locations in time for the holiday season.

Another area of extended cooperation comes in after-sales service and support. Best Buy will be allowed to sell AppleCare and AppleCare+ plans alongside Apple hardware before the holidays begin, a change one source told AppleInsider would begin on Sept. 13.

In addition, Joly said a pilot program that will see 50 Best Buy outlets become Apple Authorized Service Provider locations is underway.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34

But...but...but...Apple Watch is a failure and nobody's buying them.

• Reply 2 of 34
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    No one wants it indeed. Ha. Well at least an echo on the demand that isn't from Apple. Maybe detractors will shut it up for a bit...
  • Reply 3 of 34
    That's good news to hear AW is doing well.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    lymf wrote: »
    No one wants it indeed. Ha. Well at least an echo on the demand that isn't from Apple. Maybe detractors will shut it up for a bit...

Nah, check out some of the posts on MacRumors. For the haters there is no data that would shut them up. some are wondering how BB measures demand. I guess they've never heard of the word "sales"?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doomed watch to expand sales at doomed retailer. /s
  • Reply 6 of 34
    So many said it would flop because it was not a product anyone "needed". It was never about 'need'.. Anyone who says a product must be 'needed' is a moron. People buy as much, if not more, because they 'WANT'.. not need. If a person finds a use case and likes the idea and wants it, it sells.

So far, happy with mine.

I can do without, but I see this product category as eventually replacing the wallet / purse / clutch for CC's, identity verification and rewards cards. It won't be right away, but it's coming where a device like this is basically expected. It's the ideal location for such things and people will want to accessorize it; especially younger generations. Not to mention the duel function nature for health based uses. Just makes sense.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    But...but...but...Apple Watch is a failure and nobody's buying them.

12. Because Angela/Tim botched the retail launch of the Watch.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    adrayven wrote: »
    So many said it would flop because it was not a product anyone "needed". It was never about 'need'.. Anyone who says a product must be 'needed' is a moron. People buy as much, if not more, because they 'WANT'.. not need. If a person finds a use case and likes the idea and wants it, it sells.

So far, happy with mine.

I can do without, but I see this product category as eventually replacing the wallet / purse / clutch for CC's, identity verification and rewards cards. It won't be right away, but it's coming where a device like this is basically expected. It's the ideal location for such things and people will want to accessorize it; especially younger generations. Not to mention the duel function nature for health based uses. Just makes sense.

The irony is that a smartwatch with fitness tracking and a heart rate monitor is much closer to a necessity than anything else worn on the wrist (save for MedicAlert braclets and other medical devices, like a wrist brace, and I suppose a leather gauntlet if you're into falconry… but I digress).
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Has anyone actually seen the setup in Best Buy stores? My local stores don't have the Watch yet. I'm curious if they're using the same tables as are in Apple stores or if it's a different set up?
  • Reply 10 of 34

13. Because ?Watch is just a Jony Ive vanity project.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Until Best Buy actually delivers on its acceptance of ApplePay, I won't hold my breath Best Buy will actually become an Apple certified service provider. And I don't mean simply using their Geek Squad. It takes someone who who's Apple devices to work on them, not just another PC tech.

• Reply 12 of 34
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

it was ramped because of availability.  What was she supposed to do, pitch watches and not have any?

• Reply 13 of 34

Between selling the Apple Watch at all these Best Buys as well as Apple recently announcing that you no longer need to make an appointment to try one on at Apple stores there is bound to be a serious uptick in sales.

Both are great news for the watch. I have a feeling the holiday season will be strong for the watch.

• Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

It takes someone who who's Apple devices to work on them, not just another PC tech.

Don't send your products back to Apple for depot repair then. You're really sending them to Flextronics who repairs HP, Lenovo, Sony, and others.

• Reply 15 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I contacted Apple about the small Best Buy presence there and the huge Sammy section in the same stores.

What we need fixed badly is the Wal Mart displays!!
    My local Wal Marts have UGLY plastic cut outs that say "iPhone" in ridged font and display iPhone 4/4s.

I need to ask Siri to remind me to snap a photo to send to Tim Cook. This is not acceptable.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member

Is it a little weird that a particular brand and product  was called out on a financial call? On the same financial call as reported by Fortune, Best Buy had strong sales of washing machines. Unless I missed it, they didn't say anything about a particular brand and model. They could have said something vague about strong sales of smart watches. Instead, they said Apple Watches in particular.

I remember something very similar to this from Best Buy when the iPad came out. They reported strong iPad sales. After fielding complaints from other vendors, they changed it to strong tablet sales, with no more mention of the iPad in particular. I suspect the next time we hear from this person, it will be strong smart watch sales.

• Reply 17 of 34
    I was in my local Best Buy three days ago and my experience in the Apple department was abysmal. All I wanted to do was take a look at the new Macbook and had two salespersons on me like white on rice. I endured five minutes of sales pitches even after many times reminding them that I was only there to look. (I was there with someone else who was making a small purchase unrelated to computers.) This is why I normally avoid Best Buy. Oh, and the information they were pitching wasn't always accurate. Not good.
  • Reply 18 of 34

"Demand for Apple Watch has been so strong in the stores and online," Joly said, as <a href="http://fortune.com/2015/08/25/best-buy-apple/">noted</a> by <em>Fortune</em>.

I am waiting for our regulars in the anti-Watch-brigade to show up in force and address this obvious misstatement.

Hello? Hello? Anybody home?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I've visited my local Best Buy a few weeks ago and was shocked that they updated the Apple section.  It is much nicer now than just a month ago.   I'd say the Apple section is now bigger and more prominent than the Samsung section.  In the past the iPhone section was pathetic.  All it had was 2 iPhones that did not have working screens.  Now they have 20 iPhones on display.  Amazing.

But I guess Best Buy finally figured that Apple products sell and attract rich customers.  I can see the Samsung store pretty much disappear in a few months. 

They did not have 20 iPhones on display. No Best Buy has 20 iPhones on display.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    mac voyer wrote: »
    Is it a little weird that a particular brand and product  was called out on a financial call? On the same financial call as reported by Fortune, Best Buy had strong sales of washing machines. Unless I missed it, they didn't say anything about a particular brand and model. They could have said something vague about strong sales of smart watches. Instead, they said Apple Watches in particular.

I remember something very similar to this from Best Buy when the iPad came out. They reported strong iPad sales. After fielding complaints from other vendors, they changed it to strong tablet sales, with no more mention of the iPad in particular. I suspect the next time we hear from this person, it will be strong smart watch sales.

Do we know if this was part of the CEO's prepared remarks or a specific question he was asked during Q&A.