watchOS 2, Best Buy expansion expected to boost Apple Watch sales this holiday

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Investment firm J.P. Morgan believes sales of the Apple Watch will see a boost from two key events this fall --?the launch of watchOS 2 with support for native third-party apps, and a retail expansion to all Best Buy locations.

"We believe that news of the death of Apple Watch is considerably premature," analyst Rod Hall wrote in a note to investors on Wednesday. A copy of the note was provided to AppleInsider.

Hall's take came in response to the news that the Apple Watch will expand to all 1,050 Best Buy locations by the end of September. The retailer's CEO said that demand for the Apple Watch has been "so strong" since it debuted in Best Buy earlier this month.

Hall also expects that watchOS 2, a major software upgrade for existing Apple Watch hardware, will launch in September and help convert some potential buyers who may be on the fence about the wrist-worn device.

In particular, Hall is encouraged by support for native third-party applications, which will allow software to load more quickly and independently of an iPhone on the watch. He also believes that a number of developers have been waiting for native apps before they create new experiences specifically for the Apple Watch.

In addition to native apps, watchOS 2 will also include third-party watch face complications, and a new nightstand mode when charging. Other, smaller changes include the ability to start workouts with Siri, support for mass transit in Maps, new watch faces, and opening up microphone access to developers.

Covered Apple Watch diagnostics port, via iFixit.

Another potential driver of sales, Hall said, could be newfound rumors suggesting Apple is working on "smart bands" for the Apple Watch. A report last week claimed that the accessories will launch in 2016 and will add new health tracking functions, allowing users to upgrade and further customize their device without the need for an entirely new next-generation watch.

Specifically, it is rumored that Apple's "smart bands" will add blood oxygen, respiratory rate, blood pressure, and body temperature sensors. It's claimed that these accessories will connect to the hidden six-pin data port found inside the Apple Watch strap attachment grooves.

Apple hasn't announced sales for the Apple Watch and has said it has no immediate plans to do so. The company did reveal last month that sales of the Apple Watch at launch exceeded the first-generation iPhone and iPad from their respective launches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It's hilarious how analysts are calling an intro device, that sold more than twice as many as all competitors combined from 2014, in 1 month, a flop..

I swear, it's nothing but market manipulation at this point.. I've basically stopped taking anything they say seriously.. Just try it and buy it if you like it is what I'm telling people.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Yes please on the Apple smart bands. None of this Kickstarter bs.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Enjoying my Apple Watch. It doesn't fill a particular requirement, but it's fun and convenient...and I'm looking forward to the updates.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

It's hilarious how analysts are calling an intro device, that sold more than twice as many as all competitors combined from 2014, in 1 month, a flop..

I swear, it's nothing but market manipulation at this point.. I've basically stopped taking anything they say seriously.. Just try it and buy it if you like it is what I'm telling people.

I understand and agree with your point about market manipulation.

Still, in a pretty meaningful way, most of Apple's product releases in the past 12-13 years 

have been "intro devices", including ?Watch.  For the simple reason that, while there already were watches

and fitness trackers, etc., Apple has created a functionality and a methodology that almost

make putting it into an established category silly.  

They don't just stand on existing shoulders, they leap imaginatively from them....why I love 'em.

• Reply 5 of 10
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Apple should have given away the sport model instead of those goofy overpriced headphones for their back to school deal if they wanted to really boost sales. Apple Watches need to be seen in use publicly to really appreciate them, frankly.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Apple should have given away the sport model instead of those goofy overpriced headphones for their back to school deal if they wanted to really boost sales. Apple Watches need to be seen in use publicly to really appreciate them, frankly.

They wouldn't have been "sold" and would have given journalists/media so much ammo to criticize Apple.
    Imagine the headlines?

"Apple Watch sales so bad Apple has to give them away"

"Free is the only price people are willing to pay for Apple Watch"

"No one wants an Apple Watch so Apple is giving them away"

"Apple giving away massive back stock of Apple Watches"

"Even for free Apple can't get rid of Apple Watch inventory".
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I think people are over estimating what watchOS 2.0 will do for sales.

For me personally, I can't think of any compelling thing I want my Apple Watch to do beyond what it can already.

So now it's up to the developers, not Apple, to show me the things that I don't yet know I need it to do.

Sure, it might be nice for the weather to load a bit faster, but expectations need to be tempered.

Even if watchOS 2.0 allows you to edit feature length movies or spit out a cappuccino there will be howls of disappointment from all quarters about the temperature of the milk.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I'd like a guitar tuner on the Apple Watch
  • Reply 9 of 10

Alright... You've got me interested.

• Reply 10 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ilovestuff wrote: »
    I'd like a guitar tuner on the Apple Watch

Too easy.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/28/apple-watch-helps-tune-your-guitar/