IDC speculates an Apple 'iPad Pro' could help invigorate 2-in-1 tablet market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

I would love to see such a device, that can work as a full blown Mac, but I just can't see Apple putting an effort into making one.  Not gonna happen, until it has to happen.

• Reply 22 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Jumping into that white-hot segment that is the Surface?

Good one.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Keyboard as accessory--sure. It makes sense for some. Probably left to 3rd parties.

Detachable 2-in-1? No.

That will make sense in a far off future where iOS and OS X merge. Until then, it's still a useful niche for some, but not a niche I expect Apple to target
  • Reply 24 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    LOLZ. The reason this market is "quiet" is because no one wants one. If you want a laptop you get a laptop, if you want a tablet you get a tablet. IDC's guess is precisely as useful as all their former predictions.

What is the new Mac Book? Capability wise there wouldn't be much difference between the new Mac Book and this device if Apple actually implements the ports needed. In fact with an A9X-Pro, it might actually outperform the Mac Book in a number of ways. An iPad, with a rational way to support a keyboard, isn't a bad idea at all. In fact it opens the platform to a far more user interaction and makes any app handling text far more user friendly.
  • Reply 25 of 46

I set my short to sell at $100, which it hit. And don't be surprised it it doesn't dip violently again. I doubt we have seen the end of this negative run just yet.

I don't see this correction getting fully resolved anytime soon. Right now there is too much focus on China but it is really a world economy problem, there are countries in far worst shape than China. For the average person the economy has been shit for decades now, and I think this has finally caught up to many people.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    gqb wrote: »
    People who don't get the use for a iPad Pro tend to be people who think 'productivity' = spreadsheets and databases.
    As a musician, I'm drooling to get my hands on a 12.9" iPad that supports split screen and perhaps even USB-C.
    I'd actually like to see the entire iPad line move to USB-C and most importantly free up the access to the port and some common drivers. I can not over stress just how stupid and hostile Apples Mifi program is to developers. This especially if you want to implement hardware for limited interest markets.
    Being able to do transcriptions by having Coda on one side and Symphony Pro on the other for notation would be perfect.
    A large (yet light) screen on my music stand for charts with a USB footswitch for advancing pages would be a god-send.
    A high quality pen input for making notations on my charts? Absolutely.
    How about a live performance rig with both my effects on one side and my looper on the other?

And don't want to get to its uses as an artist's self contained palette.

You see, productivity isn't just IT and office work.

Yet many people still can't imaging an iPad being used usefully in business. You just ran through one productivity use and yet people will still not see it. For far too many people their only understanding of productivity is an excel spreadsheet.
  • Reply 27 of 46

Do not think it beyond the realm of possibility that IDC would manipulate its data to present a positive outcome for it's latest predication. The 2-in-1 sellers NEED something to ignite sales and are desperate to use any scenario to get the ignition. Having IDC predict that Apple's iPad Pro could help invigorate the 2-in-1 tablet market is the godsend these companies need. The way I see it, the 2-in-1 tablet sellers already have their marketing teams coming up with ideas to compete with the expected weaknesses iPad Pro even though they were unable to compete with the perceived weaknesses of the iPad Air!  IDC has been paid well for this latest prediction!!

• Reply 28 of 46
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Won't they call it the iPad Plus, to match the naming of the larger phone?

• Reply 29 of 46
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    To invigorate the tablet market Apple should just realease a Mac tablet.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

For far too many people their only understanding of productivity is an excel spreadsheet.

The definition of productivity is based in what the user needs.  For some users, working in a complex spreadsheet is what make them productive and is part of their work, and an iPad is not the device for them.  At the same time, the iPad makes sense for @GQB since he runs the applications he needs. 

IMO, the iPad is a device that makes sense for many people, while is not the best device for many others.  The same applies to PC's / Mac's, notebooks or whatever device exists.  Some need a high end desktop PC because a notebook is not enough, but others may need the mobility from a notebook, something a PC don't have.  

Be happy and use the device you need and makes you more productive.  :) 

• Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Keyboard as accessory--sure. It makes sense for some. Probably left to 3rd parties.

Detachable 2-in-1? No.

That will make sense in a far off future where iOS and OS X merge. Until then, it's still a useful niche for some, but not a niche I expect Apple to target

As niche-y as they may be, a lot of people stick keyboards on their iPad. I don't personally see a strong need, but if Apple actually came out with a really good one, I would re-consider.

Same thing regarding a stylus. I haven't tried the expensive ones out there, so maybe a solid, responsive stylus with no lag exists. That would interest me too.

I just got out of several days' worth of architectural/engineering meetings where for the first time, I did my markups on PDFs stored locally (but synched to cloud) on my iPad instead of hand-drawing on large sheets of paper. I made some notes with on-screen keyboard (which was fine), navigated and sometimes marked up with touch, and sometimes marked up and made simple sketches with a cheap stylus. Overall, a good (but not perfect) experience. For this application, a larger iPad and a great stylus would be a nice-to-have.

PS: A larger iPad could also take the place of those thick 11x17 design presentation decks (although connecting to a projector is better).

• Reply 32 of 46

I set my short to sell at $100, which it hit. And don't be surprised it it doesn't dip violently again. I doubt we have seen the end of this negative run just yet.
    I also doubt we've seen the last of violent dips,
    when & what happens when China unlocks all stocks for normal trading.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

To invigorate the tablet market Apple should just realease a Mac tablet.

Well, at least you’re consistently wrong about what they should do; I’ll give you that.

• Reply 34 of 46

Unless iPad Pro runs OSX, iOS is too locked down to be a Pro device.  You can't be productive without a proper pointing device and allow better file management.  iPad is better as a content consumption device than productivity.  Look at all those journalists with the Mac Airs.  If the iPad was productive enough some would carry only that.  

• Reply 35 of 46
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

IDC - the most faithful Microsoft's bitch ever!

• Reply 36 of 46
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    [@]sog35[/@] - come on dude... does every single thread have to be hijacked to include and talk about your favorite passtime, the stock market and price of Apple?

It's getting old, and I've stopped reading thise topics... but yet here you are on one of my favorite topics...?! :devil:
  • Reply 37 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Unless iPad Pro runs OSX, iOS is too locked down to be a Pro device.

I’m now excited for Apple to prove you wrong.

Though, honestly, I expect the 13” iPad to eventually run a form of OS XI rather than iOS.

You can't be productive without a proper pointing device and allow better file management.

Nix to the former, props to the latter. There are better ways of doing it than both iOS’s way and folder trees.

iPad is better as a content consumption device than productivity. 

But... the entire S&P 500 thinks otherwise.

Look at all those journalists with the Mac Airs.  If the iPad was productive enough some would carry only that.  

I rather think that’s more to do with typing speed for people who aren’t used to touchscreen keyboards. I’m still faster on a physical one, even, and I’ve been using iPhone OS/iOS’ keyboard since Day One.

PLEASE, APPLE, ABANDON THE MACBOOK KEYBOARD. IT WAS A BAD DECISION AND IF YOU MAKE A STANDALONE DESKTOP KEYBOARD LIKE THAT IT’LL BE HORRIBLE. I get what they’re doing–they’re making it so that physical keyboards are so close to touchscreens that you might as well just use the latter–but in doing so they have to make physical keyboards worse, which isn’t nice.

• Reply 38 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I think this new Adobe Photoshop app that is going to be iOS only at launch all but confirms an iPad "Pro". The new app will be available in October.

http://www.cnet.com/news/with-project-rigel-adobe-hopes-to-bring-photoshop-to-the-mobile-masses/

There's nothing new or innovative there.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Uh, did you get your shares for $90?
    Is it really necessary to continue trolling other members? Your posts that serve no purpose other than to poke and prod other long-term AI members into a response aren't helpful. I'm sure you must have some opinion to offer on-topic.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Dude man.  Just curious.  He's the one who voluntarily said he had a buy order at $95.  Just wondering if he got his shares.
    So ask him in that thread. You don't need to sprinkle the question around in unrelated ones.
    back on topic:  IDC is shit.
    Succinct enough.