Apple supposedly confirmed to hold Sept. 9 iPhone event at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Following up on rumors circulating earlier this week, a report on Wednesday claims Apple has indeed rented out the large Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco for its upcoming iPhone event.

Citing a "trusted source" who provided documentation concerning event logistics, local publication Hoodline reports Apple is renting out the building through Sept. 12, giving the company more than enough time to set up and break down a large press event. The same publication on Monday suggested Apple could be behind a "private event" to be held at the auditorium from Sept. 4 through Sept. 13.

Documents unearthed this week show plans to modify four windows at the venue to support 15-foot logos. While mock-up images reveal a malformed star shape logo not known to be assigned to any one company, Apple's marketing iconography would fit well over the proposed subframe.

With a capacity of about 7,000 people, the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium is a much larger venue than those traditionally used by Apple to host its annual iPhone announcements. For example, San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center can hold 1,470 people, while the site of last year's debut, Flint Center in Cupertino, can accommodate 2,400 visitors.

If the rumors are true, Apple is planning something big, as Hoodline reports of multiple street closures in the area starting from 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 8. Apple normally holds iPhone announcements on Tuesdays, but that could change in 2015 with streets surrounding Bill Graham Civic Auditorium closed on Wednesday, Sept. 9 from 4 a.m. to noon.

Apple is widely expected to announce next-generation "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" devices at a special event in September, potentially alongside an entry-level 4-inch smartphone. Also rumored for inclusion is a new Apple TV version with touchpad remote, Siri support and a dedicated App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Damn, I would have totally lost this bet.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Damn, I would have totally lost this bet.

It seems likely at this point but there is yet no confirmation from Apple. Typically that's done about a week before, but with this holding so many more people, if it's because they are inviting a lot more and from a uique industry, like they did with the Watch, they may want to widen the time between invitation and event.

PS: How much time was between the Watch announcement and the event?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member

Apple doesn't usually have events at fairly big venues unless there's a big announcement. 12.9" iPad maybe?

• Reply 4 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why such a huge venue to announce new iPhones and ?TV?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why such a huge venue to announce new iPhones and ?TV?

"Introducing our BIGGEST IPHONE EVER!"
  • Reply 6 of 28
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    The even will begin with Tim Cook pulling up to the stage in the backseat of a car without a driver. He'll get out and then using his Apple Watch, he'll tell Siri to park the car - or better yet, to go pick up some local Uber fares but be back in 2 hours to pick him up...
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

PS: How much time was between the Watch announcement and the event?

Invitations were sent out on Aug 28th, 2014 for the Sept 9th event.

• Reply 8 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

It seems likely at this point but there is yet no confirmation from Apple. Typically that's done about a week before, but with this holding so many more people, if it's because they are inviting a lot more and from a uique industry, like they did with the Watch, they may want to widen the time between invitation and event.

Eh, still tend to think there will be a week of free concerts (Apple Music) and during the day on the 9th, Apple will use the space to show off the new iPhones and whatever else they have planned.

• Reply 9 of 28
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Invitations were sent out on Aug 28th, 2014 for the Sept 9th event.

A little more time than usual but only a by a few days.

mjtomlin wrote: »
    Eh, still tend to think there will be a week of free concerts (Apple Music) and during the day on the 9th, Apple will use the space to show off the new iPhones and whatever else they have planned.

I sure hope not, but with this new launch of Apple Music and massive investment (for Apple), your hypothesis does make sense.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Apple doesn't usually have events at fairly big venues unless there's a big announcement. 12.9" iPad maybe?

Surely there would've been hardware leaks by now if that was the case.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Surely there would've been hardware leaks by now if that was the case.

Sometimes Apple HW flies under the radar. I think the latest Mac mini design did that. Or, in the case of the original Apple TV, iPhone, iPad and Watches there is a long enough lead time before the product is launched that the leaks by 3rd-parties haven't occurred because the large scale manufacturing hasn't yet occurred.

So why would a larger iPad need a longer lead in time? One reason would be to give 3rd-party app makers time to update their apps for the device (if it's a new aspect ratio), and another would be for them to include support as well as features for apps that use a digitizer.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Love the new star logo!

That apple thing was soooooo played.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    The venue is the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, not Billy Graham, but it gave me a idea as to what could be happening after a recent episode of [I]Last Week Tonight with John Oliver[/I]: Apple will register as a [I]bona fide[/I], legally recognized religion so it can avoid taxes in everything it does.

[VIDEO]

[I](Starts at 14m:10s in, but I recommend you watch the entire segment about this asshole scammers)[/I]
  • Reply 14 of 28
    canukstorm wrote: »

No way. Noooo. It's a bigger announcement. It's got to be a 17" iPad Pro Pro. The second Pro means it's twice as Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    "Introducing our BIGGEST IPHONE EVER!"

21.5" should be the new median phone size by 2030. And I base that on absolutely nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Read elsewhere that the Salesforce convention is being held much earlier than usual and booked several usual Apple venues. That could explain it partially; I think it will be a pretty big announcement with demo area and Apple Music concert at the end.

• Reply 17 of 28

Prepare for disappointment as usual the Fall event always predictably boring.  Pretty much all the leaks have covered the event already.

The Apple TV will be the weakest product.  Apple is more concerned about bringing content than innovating.

• Reply 18 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    vision33r wrote: »
    Prepare for disappointment as usual the Fall event always predictably boring.  Pretty much all the leaks have covered the event already.

so you read rumor sites, then complain about not being surprised? err....yyyeahhh...

The Apple TV will be the weakest product.  Apple is more concerned about bringing content than innovating.

define innovating, please. and have some sources handy.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    There's only one possible event that's potentially big enough to justify this space. And everyone has talked themselves out of even considering it.

Apple will invite the entertainment industry press and a slew of media industry types to an unveiling of the new Apple-branded 4K 65" and 120" LED/LCD panels. They are reference monitors, too sophisticated to be callled TVs.

"Apple TV" will be the non-mobile platform of the future.

Edit: there has to be an iPhone connection, though. That's beyond my pay grade.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ronn wrote: »

Read elsewhere that the Salesforce convention is being held much earlier than usual and booked several usual Apple venues. That could explain it partially; I think it will be a pretty big announcement with demo area and Apple Music concert at the end.

And this is the bummer explanation, also credible, if the details match reality.