iOS code suggests 'iPhone 6s' will feature Force Touch technology

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Code discovered in a recent iOS build suggests Apple is testing implementations of pressure-sensitive Force Touch gesture technology in its next-generation smartphone hardware, anticipated to launch in the coming weeks.

Source: Hamza Sood via Twitter

Developer Hamza Sood, who has a track record of uncovering unannounced features hidden within Apple source code, was able to generate pseudo code that appears to enable deep press trackpad gestures for selecting UI text. It is thought that such capabilities will be borne out through Force Touch hardware on upcoming "iPhone 6s" models.

"Some force touch code in iOS. Looks like they've tested kb trackpad gestures on the 6s, activated via force touch," Sood said in a Tweet on Wednesday.

AppleInsider first received word of Apple's plans to proliferate Force Touch to iOS devices in February, with sources saying this year's iPhone variants will sport the pressure-sensitive input mechanism debuted on Apple Watch. Apple has since integrated Force Touch into its MacBook product line, including the latest MacBook Pros and 12-inch MacBook with Retina display.

Recent rumors suggest Apple suppliers started ramping up iPhone 6s Force Touch module production in July ahead of a fall release. Aside from Force Touch, the forthcoming handset is expected to include an all-new A9 system-on-chip, a chassis made from 7000 series aluminum, enhanced camera hardware, integrated Qualcomm transceiver and more.

Apple is widely expected to announce a refreshed iPhone lineup alongside new Apple TV hardware at a special event in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Hopefully with a more intuitive implementation than the Apple Watch, because wow.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'll definitely be getting the 6S regardless.

Apropos of nothing, it would be nice if the Magic Mouse had an "ignore light touches that appear to be accidental" feature...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cash907 wrote: »
    Hopefully with a more intuitive implementation than the Apple Watch, because wow.
    I agree the Watch implementation is somewhat hidden -- you have to deep-press and see what happens -- but now that I know what happens within each app, I use the Force Touch all the time.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    slprescott wrote: »
    I agree the Watch implementation is somewhat hidden -- you have to deep-press and see what happens -- but now that I know what happens within each app, I use the Force Touch all the time.

IMO it'd be good if there was a visual cue that force touch is available on a particular screen within each app. I often forget to think about trying it out in various Watch apps and miss half the functionality. It'd only need something simple such as a slight wiggle when the app opened (like the one you get when you force touch something non-force-touchable) and it'd let you know FT is available on that screen, and at the same time remind you that force touch is a thing.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's intuitive about long press in iOS? If you never used an iOS device before would you know that long press brings up a copy/paste menu, or that you long process to insert a photo or video into an email?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    elijahg wrote: »
    IMO it'd be good if there was a visual cue that force touch is available on a particular screen within each app. I often forget to think about trying it out in various Watch apps and miss half the functionality. It'd only need something simple such as a slight wiggle when the app opened (like the one you get when you force touch something non-force-touchable) and it'd let you know FT is available on that screen, and at the same time remind you that force touch is a thing.
    I'm not exactly sure how you would do that from a UX perspective. I think there are some things you just have to be taught or learn via exploring. There are plenty of things in iOS that don't necessarily provide visual clues. Ask someone who's never used an iOS device how to delete an app or add a photo to an email message and they would have no clue. People learned right-click with the mouse, I think they can learn force touch too. I like that the watch has haptic feedback when you use it, it would be nice if the phone did something similar.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I was hoping Apple could keep their software secrets better. The last big secret that wasn't revealed until the keynote address was that Apple had a 64-bit build of iOS 7 for the newly announced iPhone 5s and A7 chip.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not exactly sure how you would do that from a UX perspective. I think there are some things you just have to be taught or learn via exploring. There are plenty of things in iOS that don't necessarily provide visual clues. Ask someone who's never used an iOS device how to delete an app or add a photo to an email message and they would have no clue. People learned right-click with the mouse, I think they can learn force touch too. I like that the watch has haptic feedback when you use it, it would be nice if the phone did something similar.

Perhaps a slight sheen effect on the homescreen on the app icon for a while after you install. Reminds you that there is something new?

• Reply 9 of 19
    quambquamb Posts: 143member

It's really not that hard to guess what's in store for phones these days... especially on the "s" cycle.

I guess the 7 will bring a new design, 8 might integrate the home/finger button into the screen, 9 may be about dual lens cameras....  Not that exciting. We're really hitting a wall with these devices where it's now more and more about the software.

• Reply 10 of 19
    IF anything buying "S" phone is buying last year's model with a few extra touches. Save your money for the 7.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    vision33r wrote: »
    IF anything buying "S" phone is buying last year's model with a few extra touches. Save your money for the 7.

What a load of crap. 4S brought a much faster processor, better camera, and was the first phone in the world with BT 4.0 support.

5S brought Touch ID and the world's first (and most advanced) 64bit ARM processor.

These are hardly "extra touches". They are major upgrades.
  • Reply 12 of 19

The iPhone 5s introduced the world's first 64-bit smartphone, better camera, dual tone flash. Give me a break.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Stupid comment is stupid.

Touch ID, 64 bit mobile cpu, M7 coprocessor, massive power increase, dual tone flash, etc. Yeah, "touches".

But sure, screw the facts.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Actually, it's almost opposite. "Standard" numbers bring above all new overall design, like case and screen size/form factor, whereas "s" actually bring really big changes in internals. "s" always seem to be "real thing" after following design change hype, therefore I'm "s" user. :)

• Reply 15 of 19
    quamb wrote: »
    It's really not that hard to guess what's in store for phones these days... especially on the "s" cycle.

I guess the 7 will bring a new design, 8 might integrate the home/finger button into the screen, 9 may be about dual lens cameras....  Not that exciting. We're really hitting a wall with these devices where it's now more and more about the software.

Why do smartphones have to be exciting?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

wow what? you press forcefully. that's it.

whether there's a relevant function to act on or not is not different than knowing if you can right click for a contextual menu. try it and see.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    quamb wrote: »

until we have print scanners and FaceTime cameras embedded in the screens (so you can actually look at each other's eyes) then no, we have not plateaued in usefulness in hardware.
  • Reply 18 of 19

ignorant. in years past the S models have had almost all new hardware inside...only the case design remains. big whoop.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

See, this is never an issue for me. I upgrade to S and non-S models every year!