Apple's Jony Ive, Jimmy Iovine to join tech and entertainment luminaries at Vanity Fair event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Apple CDO Jony Ive will again be attending Vanity Fair's 2015 New Establishment Summit in October to talk design and tech -- and potentially new iPhones -- this time accompanied by Beats cofounder Jimmy Iovine.

Apple SVP of Design Jony Ive (left) interviewed by Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter at
the 2014 New Establishment Summit. | Source: Business Insider

Ive joined Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter last year in an interview ranging from the history of industrial design to Ive's first product commissions at Apple. It was during this exchange that Ive famously called Chinese smartphone startup Xiaomi's iPhone-esque designs a form of theft.

"I don't see it as flattery. I see it as theft," Ive said. "When you're doing something for the first time and you don't know it's going to work. I have to be honest the last thing I think is 'Oh, that is flattering. All those weekends I could've been home with my family.' I think it's theft and lazy. I don't think it's OK at all."

This year's summit is expected to elicit more in-depth discussions on topics of interest to the tech community, while Vanity Fair promises thought-provoking back-and-forth banter through "unexpected" speaker pairings. As a final schedule has yet to be announced, it is unclear if Ive is going solo or will be joined by fellow Apple executive Iovine.

Also attending are Tesla/SpaceX cofounder Elon Musk, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, Walt Disney's Bob Iger, the cast of "Silicon Valley," 21st Century Fox CEO James Murdoch and more. Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson is also scheduled to talk.

The event runs from Oct. 5 through Oct. 7 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. A more detailed schedule is expected soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow they nabbed Mark Zuckerberg. How often does he speak at events like this? and Jmmy Iovine is listed as Beats, not Apple. :lol:
  • Reply 2 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And people still question the Beats acquisition. It's a freaking fashion icon now.

Why no Giggle? Is it cause they have nothing to contribute?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Nothing to copy.

• Reply 4 of 8
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cali wrote: »
    And people still question the Beats acquisition. It's a freaking fashion icon now.

Huh? Beats was that before Apple bought it. But based on last quarters earnings call appears that Beats headphones sales are declining. If there was no ?Watch, the "other" category would have shown negative growth YOY. I'm not surprised. Best Buy's headphone section used to be like 90% Beats. Not anymore. I think people have figured out there are better headphones than what Beats is offering. I don't think Apple bought Beats because they wanted to get into the headphone business so I doubt much effort will be put into them. Those that need to have the Beats logo on their ear will continue to buy and that's good enough for Apple.

I'm still waiting for the real reason Apple bought Beats to bear fruit. The Apple Music beta that wasn't called a beta doesn't inspire confidence.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Someone...anyone... put a muzzle on Iovine.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    A fair for vanity. How apropos.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    > Beats was [a fashion icon] before Apple bought it. But based on last quarters earnings call appears that Beats headphones sales are declining. ... Best Buy's headphone section used to be like 90% Beats. Not anymore. I think people have figured out there are better headphones than what Beats is offering.

Yes. Beats headphones were actually a bit of scam, in terms of price and quality. Beats sold hardware by selling image, not by selling substance. I suspect you are right about Apple's motives for buying Beats
  • Reply 8 of 8
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Huh? Beats was that before Apple bought it. But based on last quarters earnings call appears that Beats headphones sales are declining. If there was no ?Watch, the "other" category would have shown negative growth YOY. I'm not surprised. Best Buy's headphone section used to be like 90% Beats. Not anymore. I think people have figured out there are better headphones than what Beats is offering. I don't think Apple bought Beats because they wanted to get into the headphone business so I doubt much effort will be put into them. Those that need to have the Beats logo on their ear will continue to buy and that's good enough for Apple.

I'm still waiting for the real reason Apple bought Beats to bear fruit. The Apple Music beta that wasn't called a beta doesn't inspire confidence.

A part of me still doesn't quite understand the Beats acquisition.

Or at the very least, why Apple paid so much to acquire it. I kinda wish Steve was still around to negotiate that deal. He was known for being a savvy and tough negotiator, and even if I wouldn't fully understand the motivation for the acquisition, I would have at least felt that Steve got a good deal.

With Tim, or Eddy or whoever else handled the negotiations, I just don't have that same sense of confidence.