Griffin launches Survivor Tactical, Ultra Thin cases for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Griffin on Wednesday launched its first-ever protective cases for the Apple Watch, the Survivor Tactical and the Ultra Thin, adding to a growing selection of aftermarket accessories tailored to Apple's wearable device.

Like its counterparts for iPhone and iPad, the Survivor Tactical is a rugged case, designed to shield as much of the Watch as possible from damage. The bulk of the case is built from a combination of thermoplastic elastomer and polycarbonate plastic. Raised bezels and an integrated screen protector help to guard the display.

The case also covers the Watch's side button, and the top half of the digital crown, leaving only the bottom open to spinning. The product can be attached to a Watch without removing an attached band.

The Ultra Thin is intended more for style than protection, being only 0.5 millimeters thick and lacking a screen protector. Likewise, both the side button and the digital crown are fully exposed.

The Survivor Tactical comes in 38-millimeter and 42-millimeter sizes, but costs $30 either way. Blue, black, red, and white colors are available for 42mm watches, while 38mm owners have an extra green option.

The two Ultra Thin sizes are $20 each (38mm version and 42mm version), and include a three-pack of gold or silver cases in polished, matte, and clear styles. A "multi pack" option mixes polished silver, matte gold, and a clear case.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    The watch does not need a case... Come on.....
  • Reply 2 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Guess if from past experience you tend to beat up your watch: whack it into doorjambs and such on a regular basis. I only do so occasionally and the SS in Space Gray hasn't shown any effects so far....
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Ultra Ugly. Traditional case and Apple accessory makers don't seem to have an aesthetic bone in their body.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Faux Gold. Should be a top seller!

• Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Guess if from past experience you tend to beat up your watch: whack it into doorjambs and such on a regular basis. I only do so occasionally and the SS in Space Gray hasn't shown any effects so far....

Have you checked the screen under bright light? Three months in, I got three decent scratches and a good scuff on the fillet of the screen.

• Reply 6 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    If it's not waterproof, it offers nothing I need for my watch.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

No watch is waterproof, water resistance to certain depths for a certain length of time, sure. Apple Watch is water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes. If you are diving you probably need a dive watch, but it is not going to have a microphone and a speaker.

• Reply 8 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    mstone wrote: »

No watch is waterproof, water resistance to certain depths for a certain length of time, sure. Apple Watch is water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes. If you are diving you probably need a dive watch, but it is not going to have a microphone and a speaker.
    Took it off before Stand Up Paddleboarding today. Just didn't want to take a chance.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    konqerror wrote: »
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Have you checked the screen under bright light? Three months in, I got three decent scratches and a good scuff on the fillet of the screen.
    is yours a model with a sapphire screen?
  • Reply 10 of 28

Yep, nothing. And I'm the type that carries two microfiber clothes around for polishing so I'd have noticed. Probably caught the stainless steel case. I chipped a Rolex date bump once by that same sort of impact (I caught the door lock in a glancing hit). Only repair it needed until recently, thirty five years between is okay by me.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Dive watches are relegated to backup these days what with all the advances in dive computers. For me anyway. Wear mine for nostalgia probably more than anything, but then I don't push civilian no decompression limits.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

is yours a model with a sapphire screen?

No mine's the Sport. Just realized the poster had the sapphire. Apple really cut corners with the glass, there's a reason why even $300 Seikos and Citizens use sapphire.

• Reply 13 of 28
    Two weeks after getting my Apple watch sport I brushed it against a bathroom wall with ceramic tile. The watch suffered some light scratches and a hairline crack in the crystal. Still waiting to hear from Apple in the damage will be covered or not. The sport watch is not durable at all and will likely be the last Apple watch I buy if they don't cover damage from normal every day use. The ion glass is junk.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Or oled touch screens? Seriously.

That's why Apple should have used a stronger crystal. As I've pointed out before, the OLED screen combines with scratches to make an annoying rainbow diffraction effect. On top of that, the crystal is much thinner than used in traditional watches because you got a touchscreen. This makes a strong and scratch-resistant surface even more critical. Scratches on the body don't affect the usability of the product, but scratches and cracks on the screen certainly do.

Apple cheaped out to meet their profit margins and produced a compromise product.

• Reply 15 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You gotta pay to play son.

Do those seikos have cutting edge microcomputers or sensors? Or oled touch screens? Seriously.

nope, and they don't have contactless payments, activity trackers, or Bluetooth music storage either. comparing them to AW and expecting sapphire in the sport is absurd...I see he's still trolling
  • Reply 16 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Apple cheaped out to meet their profit margins and produced a compromise product.

Im under the impression you don't even have an AW. how then are you qualified to determine it as a compromised product? (ignoring for the moment that all products are compromises of various aspects). I'm trying to figure out what makes you not an apple watch troll...
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Why why why why why why why
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Im under the impression you don't even have an AW. how then are you qualified to determine it as a compromised product? (ignoring for the moment that all products are compromises of various aspects). I'm trying to figure out what makes you not an apple watch troll...

I'm pretty sure 99% of these pro-watch trolls, like you, don't own one. Freshly wiped from a lens cleaner, 3 months old. I've only used it in the office, I've taken it off for rough and sweaty activities ever since the crown started sticking.

Stuff forming a line in the upper left is scratches and you can see the deeper of the two scratches above the 2, the one that diffracts the screen light. There's more close by that you can't see. Scuff on the upper right as well.

You can also see how the anodization comes off on the lip on the upper left (some of it is camera saturation but some of it is bare aluminum)

This watch is going to be completely unusable by the end of 2 years.

• Reply 19 of 28
    As an SS Apple Watch owner I can't fathom who would buy these fugly cases, or any cases to be honest.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    I'm in construction. I have the same watch and it's still flawless despite my rough trade. I'm very satisfied with its inherent toughness. Amazed, really.