'iPhone 6s' 12MP camera rumored to shoot 4K video, front camera again said to have 'selfie' flash

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
With less than two weeks to go before Apple is expected to take the wraps off of its next-generation iPhone, a new rumor claims the so-called "iPhone 6s" will be capable of shooting ultra-high-resolution 4K video with its rear facing 12-megapixel camera.

Citing unnamed sources, 9to5mac on Thursday reaffirmed a number of earlier rumors about Apple's next-generation iPhone, including the fact that it is expected to feature a forward facing flash that would improve selfies in low-light situations. Evidence of a new front flash module, paired with a 1080p-resolution front camera, was first spotted by developer Hamza Sood in an iOS 9 manifest file.

And analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said in May that the rear camera on the "iPhone 6s" will boast a 12-megapixel image sensor, improving on the 8-megapixel shooter in the current iPhone 6 series. At the time, Kuo also revealed the next-generation iPhone will feature 2 gigabytes of RAM, as well as a new rose gold color option.

Thursday's report did add one new detail, claiming that the rear camera will be capable of recording 4K-resolution video.

"Ultra High Definition" branded content is shot at a resolution of 3,840 by 2,160 pixels. In comparison, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus capture 1080p video at 60 frames per second, which works out to 1,920 by 1,080 pixels.

Earlier rumors had suggested Apple might adopt a unique new dual-camera system with the "iPhone 6s," but AppleInsider's own sources debunked that myth back in February. Those same sources reaffirmed that the 2015 iPhone upgrade will feature Force Touch input as a hallmark feature, as well as 2 gigabytes of RAM.

Apple is widely expected to be planning a media event for Sept. 9 to unveil not only its next iPhones, but also a revamped Apple TV with voice input, a new touchpad controller, and a dedicated App Store. Invitations to that anticipated event are likely to be sent out in the coming days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

2160p30 so that the iPhone 7 has 2160p60 to sell.

• Reply 2 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Wow. 9to5mac gets credited for the article. Props to AI for this.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Sounds amazing. Although 4K would be killer on a 16GB phone.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And apparently dynamic lock screens similar to some of the ?Watch faces. I wonder if that means the new displays will be OLED?

4K Video to me equals no more 16GB on the flagship models.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member

Not sure where my post went...this seals the deal on a 4k ATV...

• Reply 6 of 55
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to pump it up to 32, 64, 128.

• Reply 7 of 55

More interested in the A9 and what Apple has done to the image processing. This is as important (if not more important) than the sensor itself.

• Reply 8 of 55
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Oh great... now we can be blinded by morons in front of us taking flash selfies, along with those using flash to light up stages 100 yards away.

It worries me that this is the first new iPhone in years that I'm thinking isn't worth upgrading for.
    Hopefully the 2nd year contract people will keep the upgrades flowing.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    philboogie wrote: »

They made sure to cast doubt on it though while promoting Ming-Chi, of course.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Where, exactly, did I cast doubt?

• Reply 11 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh great... now we can be blinded by morons in front of us taking flash selfies, along with those using flash to light up stages 100 yards away.

It worries me that this is the first new iPhone in years that I'm thinking isn't worth upgrading for.

Much of the world still operates on a 2-year upgrade pattern. Still a lot of contracts out there. If you're coming from a 5 or 5s, there'sa lot of reasons to upgrade. This site skews to enthusiasts who may be more likely to update every year.

• Reply 12 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I've read elsewhere, with very good reasoning, that the camera will be 13MP, because Apple's module source is exclusively Sony. Because of that, the only sensors that fit the size that Apple can use in their bodies are 13MP sensors.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    gqb wrote: »

I doubt the availability of a flash for that camera. Pictures and descriptions of the front glass show no opening, or clear area, for a flash.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder how Schiller will announce this on stage since Apple clearly hasn't been in the megapixel game.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    slurpy wrote: »

I wonder if they'll embed a H.265 HW chip. That would result in smaller sizes. Oh, where's [@]SolipsismY[/@] when I could use his calculation expertise?

OT: AI, please get rif of discontinued usernames and banned fakes?

• Reply 16 of 55
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wonder how Schiller will announce this on stage since Apple clearly hasn't been in the megapixel game.

Possibly with a "doesn't innovate anymore my ass"
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

OT: AI, please get rif of discontinued usernames and banned fakes?

Wiping the names would just free them up in the system to be used again. That’d create confusion. Not that there aren’t a large number of unused insults left.

• Reply 18 of 55
    rogifan wrote: »

That's not really true, is it? The first camera had a 2MP sensor. They've moved that up several times to get to 8MP. Apple's been stuck at 8MP for several years, but that doesn't mean they don't want to move forwards. But they're still well behind in the MP wars here, even if they do go to 13MP, as other flagship cameras are, or are moving, to 21MP. In addition the top models of the Lumia have had a much higher Rez sensor for years.

So don't worry, they'll still be comfortably behind every other flagship phone as far as Rez is concerned.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    philboogie wrote: »

You mean because the first link in the article points to nowhere? (2015/08/27/iphone-6s-camera-12-megapixels-4k-selfies/)
  • Reply 20 of 55
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You mean because the first link in the article points to nowhere? (2015/08/27/iphone-6s-camera-12-megapixels-4k-selfies/)

Link works fine on the main page. I have nothing to do with it not working on the forums.