'iPhone 6s' 12MP camera rumored to shoot 4K video, front camera again said to have 'selfie' flash

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    That's true, but only works in SW, not HW.

There is HW doing it in the SOC. You can google it, Anandtech, chipwork, or someone like that confirmed it.
    So, not sure what you're saying.
    Apple has not made the API for that available to anyone but themselves, but its there in the SOC right now.

The encoding and decoding is done is SW:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2ugpl1/request_tweak_to_unlock_the_builtin_hardware/

The 2014 models do not support H.265:
    https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

If we are to get 4k support I would presume Apple to implement H.265 fully. And by that I mean a HW encoder/decoder in the iPhone, iPad and the Apple TV. The iPod touch was just updated, so I think that will be put on the backburner, but full support on the desktop should be expected as well (iTunes, QuickTime, OS X FaceTime, OS X iMessage careen sharing et cetera)

And with that, they really ought to add 4k movies for purchase and rental in the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 43 of 55

If Apple releases a 4K phone that is still 16 GB, I know they no longer care about user experience. I think I read that the storage required is like 700 MB for just one minute of 4K video @ 24 fps (please correct me if I am wrong here). 32 GB is necessary at a minimum.

• Reply 44 of 55

That page makes no mention of H.265. A simple Cmd-F doesn't even find 265.

It is indeed being used for FaceTime. But if you scroll down to 'TV & Video' it only mentions H.264
  • Reply 45 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That page makes no mention of H.265. A simple Cmd-F doesn't even find 265.

Yes, but it said it at launch and for months after.

• Reply 46 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Record 4k video that takes up extra storage, and nobody who views your clip will be able to tell the difference image Everyone wins!

Yep, it amazes me any time I have my parents over to watch the kids, never fails my wife and I come home to find my parents watching a SD broadcast.  My eyes burn just looking at the screen.  They aren't the only ones either.  I know plenty of people who will sit through crappy YouTube videos that aren't even 720p.   

• Reply 47 of 55
    4K videos at any bitrate uses an insane about of space. We need that 512GB iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    With new Toshiba 256 Gb NAND they could just go 64, 128, 256.

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/company/taec/news/2015/08/memory-20150803-1.html
  • Reply 49 of 55
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    4k? On iPhone? I don't see it happening. I would be very surprised if it's true. We shall see! What I really hope is that the camera is at least 12mp
  • Reply 50 of 55
    idrey wrote: »
    4k? On iPhone? I don't see it happening. I would be very surprised if it's true. We shall see! What I really hope is that the camera is at least 12mp

The iPhone is a hugely popular source of personal movie content. It's definitely a big feature to capture 4k/HDR/wcg in the source file, even if you can't see it fully on a phone screen.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    With new Toshiba 256 Gb NAND they could just go 64, 128, 256.

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/company/taec/news/2015/08/memory-20150803-1.html

1) That's Gb, not GB. So only 32GB.

2) The fab isn't finished till 2016H1 (from the article you linked to)
  • Reply 52 of 55
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    The iPhone is a hugely popular source of personal movie content. It's definitely a big feature to capture 4k/HDR/wcg in the source file, even if you can't see it fully on a phone screen.

I agree with you iPhone is huge and 4k will be attractive. But I think they can give it another year.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoinAPhrase View Post

The problem is that ALL Smartphone cameras shooting 4K shoot basically garbage; it's just a box to tick on the marketing spreadsheet. Shooting video this size and compressing it real time presents all sort of difficulties. Mostsmart phones barely shoot decent 1080P video. The Iphone is the best video shooter out there (because of its processing and quick focus even in low light).

• Reply 54 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

If Apple puts out ads using the word "selfie" in them, all is lost.

• Reply 55 of 55
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,031member
    If Apple puts out ads using the word "selfie" in them, all is lost.

Don't worry, there will be an exquisite video with Jony in a tee shirt describing the incredibly accurate color and natural vision dynamic range in the new Personal Short Focus Optical Capture Sensor...