Instagram loosens limits, enables portrait, landscape modes for photo & video

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Facebook on Thursday released an update to its Instagram apps for iOS and Android, opening up the media-sharing service to posts in landscape and portrait ratios.

When choosing an existing photo or video to upload, Instagram users can now tap a format button to choose one of three dimensions. The full-sized content will then appear in feeds, although profile grids will still show images in cropped squares to preserve symmetry.

Instagram has traditionally forced users to post all content in a square format, a deliberate throwback to old analog cameras such as Holgas.

The update also breaks down barriers between filters. The apps previously maintained separate filters for photos and videos, but these are newly interchangeable. On videos, users can now scale the intensity of effects.

The iOS version of Instagram is a free download, and requires an iPhone or iPod with iOS 7 or later. It also has a companion Apple Watch app that can be used to browse photos or check feed notifications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

Yay! More pixels is better, right?

• Reply 2 of 15
    I am not seeing this option.

Is this another one of those "America only" updates?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Interestingly, while traveling in Europe, everyone would say "Oh, you are from America?" That sounds really odd to me because if someone were to ask where we're from we might say "The US or United States", not America, although we do refer to ourselves as Americans so I guess it makes some sense, but it still sounds odd.

• Reply 4 of 15

Nope. In Oregon and not seeing option either
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    About goddamn time.

@mstone: Yes, I agree. We should have just called ourselves United States of North America or something else. A very stupid presumption of The United States of America seeing as that represents North, Central and South America.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    About goddamn time.

@mstone: Yes, I agree. We should have just called ourselves United States of North America or something else. A very stupid presumption of The United States of America seeing as that represents North, Central and South America.

Except that North America includes Canada, and Mexico.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

About goddamn time.

Unitedstatesians doesn't really roll of the tongue.

• Reply 8 of 15
    lymflymf Posts: 65member

Me neither in Belgium. Hopefully coming soon here
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Interestingly, while traveling in Europe, everyone would say "Oh, you are from America?" That sounds really odd to me because if someone were to ask where we're from we might say "The US or United States", not America, although we do refer to ourselves as Americans so I guess it makes some sense, but it still sounds odd.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to sound how it did.

If you read the text of the update there is this section:

Quote:

We're thrilled to introduce Explore tab in the US, featuring several major updates:

also

Quote:

While the redesigned Explore tab is currently only available in the US, we've also improved search for everyone else.

• Reply 10 of 15

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Sorry, that wasn't meant to sound how it did.

Don't be. No offense taken. We like the term America and we use it a lot. In normal reference to the country we usually drop the America part of the name unless it is an exclamation of national pride such as Trump's slogan "Make America Great". It is usually only a term that Americans should use in that shortened form. It would be better for the rest of the world to call our country the US or the United States, or USA or the States as in my location profile. No harm done though, simply an observation.

• Reply 11 of 15
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    mstone wrote: »
    Don't be. No offense taken. We like the term America and we use it a lot. In normal reference to the country we usually drop the America part of the name unless it is an exclamation of national pride such as Trump's slogan "Make America Great". It is usually only a term that Americans should use in that shortened form. It would be better for the rest of the world to call our country the US or the United States, or USA or the States as in my location profile. No harm done though, simply an observation.

Vereinigte-Staatsianer/in just isn't gonna cut it in German :D

So how ya feelin' about simply 'murica... something the in crowd on social media uses alot? :p

Edut: spilling...!
  • Reply 12 of 15

So how ya feelin' about simply 'murica... something the in crowd on social media uses alot? :p
    !

Stupid, juvenile and derogatory.
  • Reply 13 of 15

"United states of America" is your countries name, the shortening is USA 

United States should not be used nor America as these are both generic terms that have other meanings

there are other places that use the term United States in their name and people outside of the United States of America understand this

ie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Indonesia

and as previously mentioned America is a bit bigger that the USA.

;)

• Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Stupid, juvenile and derogatory.

Which is how we feel when you display the wrong flags:

http://www.sportal.com.au/other/news/49ers-post-nz-flag-by-mistake/kr6ptlirr0n417c8ajs2lonnc

:-)

In all fairness Australia stole our flag because they're a nation of criminals and they were too lazy to come up with their own so they just added a star and changed the colours. :-P

• Reply 15 of 15

Well people did try something different from American in the past- Usonian.

Term history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usonia