September iPhone event marks return of live stream for Windows users

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Next month's iPhone event will mark the first time in recent history that Windows users will be able to officially live-stream an Apple presentation, the company quietly revealed on Thursday through the event's website.

Windows 10 users will be able to watch via Microsoft's built-in Edge browser, according to the site's fine print. This is because the software supports the same HTTP Live Streaming technology found in Apple apps like QuickTime and Safari.

Previously, people wanting to tune into an Apple event had to have an OS X, iOS, or Apple TV device, or else find workarounds through software such as VLC. iTunes for Windows technically supports HLS, but for reasons unknown the company has never given it options for tuning into live press events.

Using HLS has offered a variety of advantages for Apple, including avoiding Flash, but the standard has comparatively little support beyond the company's ecosystem. The decision has inherently limited the scope of audiences.

The event is scheduled for Sept. 9 at 10 a.m. Pacific, or 1 p.m. Eastern. The focus of the event is expected to be on an iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, but Apple should also show off a fourth-generation Apple TV enhanced with an A9 processor, an App Store, Siri voice control, and a touchpad remote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Sounds like a clever scheme to cultivate more switchers!
  • Reply 2 of 35
    danielsw wrote: »
    Sounds like a clever scheme to cultivate more switchers!

My prediction is the opposite. AppleTV will work with Windows (from more than just iTunes). iLife and Siri will become compatible with Windows as well.

It will attract huge numbers of Windows users to AppleTV. The product is finally ready for takeoff.

Huge move with significant financial implications for Apple, if it comes to pass.

(Incidentally, given the Mac OS is now free and primarily exists in the Apple ecosystem to help sell more Apple hardware, why doesn't Apple just elevate Bootcamp to a new level of simplicity and integration to allow users to easily install Windows? If users then experience Mac OS and its elegance, security etc., they may decide to switch anyway. What does the dependence on Mac OS buy for Apple? Serious question!)
  • Reply 3 of 35
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    "Finally"
  • Reply 4 of 35
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    This is claiming that the 4th gen Apple TV will have an A9 processor. I think A8 is more likely.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Anxiously waiting a nice refresh on aTV... Would also like to be tempted to upgrade my iPhone 6! Just need a real compelling reason.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    My prediction is the opposite. AppleTV will work with Windows (from more than just iTunes). iLife and Siri will become compatible with Windows as well.

It will attract huge numbers of Windows users to AppleTV. The product is finally ready for takeoff.

Huge move with significant financial implications for Apple, if it comes to pass.

Nope to iLife and Siri for Windows. Nope to anything other than iTunes for Windows integration for Apple TV.

How would iLife and Siri on Windows sell more Apple hardware?

Possible BI headline: Floundering Apple courts Windows users for iOS event!
  • Reply 7 of 35
    jungmark wrote: »

Nope to iLife and Siri for Windows. Nope to anything other than iTunes for Windows integration for Apple TV.

How would iLife and Siri on Windows sell more Apple hardware?

Possible BI headline: Floundering Apple courts Windows users for iOS event!

I think you didn't read my post carefully. I did not say that iLife and Siri for Windows will help sell more Macs. I said it will help sell more AppleTVs.

You may be confusing it with my separate point about Bootcamp and Mac OS.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Wait! What's the VLC workaround?!?!
  • Reply 9 of 35
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cornchip wrote: »
    Wait! What's the VLC workaround?!?!

Using the Network Media option in VLC to link directly to the live stream. Works decent enough but you need to know the actual address of the live stream, not just the video link from the apple.com/live page.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Just hope this doesn't result in a bottle-neck of the stream with all the additional traffic.

It has happened before.

I don't think I would be able to tolerate all the Apple haters talking trash about an Apple botched live-feed.

• Reply 11 of 35
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Just hope this doesn't result in a bottle-neck of the stream with all the additional traffic.
    It has happened before.
    I don't think I would be able to tolerate all the Apple haters talking trash about an Apple botched live-feed.

A proper streaming system doesn't need to worry about the source being affected when it comes to the number of end users. I think the issue last(?) year had to do with something else that completely fudged up the source stream. Perhaps their attempt at using live tiles on their apple.com website?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

It has happened before.

A proper streaming system doesn't need to worry about the source being affected when it comes to the number of end users. I think the issue last(?) year had to do with something else that completely fudged up the source stream. Perhaps their attempt at using live tiles on their apple.com website?

Well, if by "proper", you mean 'properly scaled', then yes, that's my point.

That's not always easy to do with a mobil system. But I expect all will be fine. (I'm sure they do too)

The last time they had problems though certainly wasn't the first time they had them. I think that's why they had stopped streaming these events in the past, up until several years ago when they started doing them again. Better technology and economies of scale.

• Reply 13 of 35
    bobschlob wrote: »

Well, if by "proper", you mean 'properly scaled', then yes, that's my point.
    That's not always easy to do with a mobil system. But I expect all will be fine. (I'm sure they do too)
    The last time they had problems though certainly wasn't the first time they had them. I think that's why they had stopped streaming these events in the past, up until several years ago when they started doing them again. Better technology and economies of scale.

That was a year ago and there was a new situation in place that was the cause of the issue. We've had several — 3? — live streaming events since then without issue.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

It has happened before.

I doubt there's enough people rocking Edge yet who also want to watch an Apple keynote to make much of a dent...

• Reply 15 of 35
    cornchip wrote: »
    "Finally"

Yes, if by "finally" you mean Microsoft has created a modern HTML5 standards-based web browser for Windows and given up on Internet Exploder.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That was a year ago and there was a new situation in place that was the cause of the issue. We've had several — 3? — live streaming events since then without issue.

MRI studies on troll brains show that their brains have special regions devoted to forming and retaining strong memories of any negative news about Apple, Inc. The result is near instant and vivid recall, even years later, giving them an edge in trolling over normal people. ;)
  • Reply 17 of 35
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

(Incidentally, given the Mac OS is now free and primarily exists in the Apple ecosystem to help sell more Apple hardware, why doesn't Apple just elevate Bootcamp to a new level of simplicity and integration to allow users to easily install Windows? If users then experience Mac OS and its elegance, security etc., they may decide to switch anyway. What does the dependence on Mac OS buy for Apple? Serious question!)
    Apple is about the experience and the experience is all about the marriage of hardware and software. They make money on the hardware but they are not a hardware company. They will never give up control of the interface and functionality. Seems obvious I think I must have misunderstood you.
  • Reply 18 of 35

Am I crazy, or are there like 3 or 4 posters on AI who just think everybody else is a Troll?

Really hard (for me) to suss it out. :???: 

• Reply 19 of 35
    MRI studies on troll brains show that their brains have special regions devoted to forming and retaining strong memories of any negative news about Apple, Inc. The result is near instant and vivid recall, even years later, giving them an edge in trolling over normal people. ;)

All joking aside, I do wonder how negative and positive memories are stored. Some people seemingly only focus on the negative and others seemingly on the positive, but I'd say that most of us remember both good and bad, but that this can sway heavily to one side depending on a particular event or incident type.

PS: [@]BobSchlob[/@] isn't a troll.
  • Reply 20 of 35

I doubt that Apple will release the ?TV with the same processor it puts into the phones. I would bet they will put a beefed up processor in the ?TV able to do games at a reasonable clip. There is no sense putting a processor into a machine that will be used for gaming, that is designed for a phone (Yes I know the iPhone can [play games). The ?TV can be somewhat power hungry since it will be plugged into the wall. My guess is a 64bit, 2.5Ghz, 4core, 8 or 16 GB RAM. It will be the same heritage as the A9 just beefed up. They have a great processor division that has shown it can keep a secret (64bit bomb shell). It does not have to compete with the PS4 or XB1.

The apps will come fast and furious! There will be lots of bombs but enough good/great apps that they will sell more ?TVs in Q1-16 then they have to date... Can't wait to see if I'm right.