Purported 'iPhone 6s' box suggests Apple will keep entry-level capacity at 16GB

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
A sticker claimed to be for the packaging for Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6s" shows a 16-gigabyte capacity, suggesting that Apple will stick with that memory level for its entry-level model.

Photo via Steve Hemmerstoffer.

Apple faced criticism last year for doubling the capacities on its mid- and high-range iPhone 6 series models, to 64 and 128 gigabytes, respectively, without upping the entry-level model to 32 gigabytes.

Critics complained --?and even filed lawsuits --?because they said the iOS 8 update took up such a large percentage of the capacity on their 16-gigabyte iPhone.

Friday's leak, first shared by Steve Hemmerstoffer, suggests that despite those complaints, Apple will in fact keep the entry-level storage of 16-gigabyte for the so-called "iPhone 6s." There was no sign of any "iPhone 6s Plus" capacity, but it would not be a surprise to see a 16-gigabyte base model for Apple's jumbo-sized phone as well.

Apple has made strides to address user complaints in iOS 9, most notably shrinking the space required to install software updates. For example, while the iOS 8 upgrade required 4.6 gigabytes of free space, iOS 9 will require just 1.3 gigabytes.

Apple will also include a new automatic installation option that will let iPhones and iPads update themselves at a convenient time for the user. Users will be able to select an "Install Later" option, and will be notified with a message after their phone has been updated.

All will be revealed at Apple's Sept. 9 event, where the company is expected to introduce not only its next-generation iPhones, but also a revamped Apple TV. The new "iPhone 6s" series is expected to be largely identical to the current iPhone 6 lineup, including design, appearance, pricing, and capacity levels.

Most upgrades for the handset are believed to come internally, with new pressure sensitive Force Touch input, a faster "A9" processor, higher-quality cameras, and a forward facing flash for selfies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118

Hardly surprising....got to keep those margins :grumble:

• Reply 2 of 118

Yeah, not surprised. A 32GB base model would be a sweet spot for too many people. Apple wants to push everyone to buy the next higher capacity.

• Reply 3 of 118
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yeah, not surprised. A 32GB base model would be a sweet spot for too many people. Apple wants to push everyone to buy the next higher capacity.

Maybe in the past but 32 GB is a problem for many non commercial users. 32gB simply will be frustrating if the rumors about the new camera capabilities are true.

That being said I don't think a lot of people get it, the 16 GB model is for business. Businesses simply don't want their people carrying around phones with lots of business related data on them. The 16 GB machine really isn't a consumer device.

Now the big question is this: will the other two models get bumped? It would be nice to see capacities of 128 GB and 256 GB in the two upscale models.
  • Reply 4 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Well that sucks, especially with the rumors of improved camera and 4K recording. If Apple keeps 16GB and has no iCloud changes Phil might as well get up on stage and give everyone the middle finger because that's what Apple is saying.
  • Reply 5 of 118

So basically Apple's #1 priority is margins and ASPs not the best consumer experience. Great. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 6 of 118
    If rumors are true about 4k video and 12MP camera they should consider moving the storage up. However with the ability to only store lower res versions on the device and full res on Apple's servers maybe the lower capacity is enough.
  • Reply 7 of 118
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Maybe in the past but 32 GB is a problem for many non commercial users. 32gB simply will be frustrating if the rumors about the new camera capabilities are true.

That being said I don't think a lot of people get it, the 16 GB model is for business. Businesses simply don't want their people carrying around phones with lots of business related data on them. The 16 GB machine really isn't a consumer device.

Now the big question is this: will the other two models get bumped? It would be nice to see capacities of 128 GB and 256 GB in the two upscale models.

So 16 > 128 > 256? If 16GB is only for business/education why does Apple even offer it to consumers? At some point people will say screw you to Apple's upselling.
  • Reply 8 of 118
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    smart. segment the market. too many people are fine with 16GB. the rest will pay more for 64GB.
  • Reply 9 of 118
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I guess that is a possibly but the problem I see with that is the size of most "business" documents. Outside of a large database file, even a 16GB iPhone would be able to store thousands of average size business documents. Plus, most businesses that would be worried about such a thing probably wouldn't let their employees store any documents on their phones.

It is a pure money play on Apple's part. A 16GB entry level phone encourages users to upgrade to the 64GB for another $100 which is almost pure profit for them. If it was a 32GB entry level model, many people would forego the upgrade and save $100. Apple sees their users as cash cows that need to be milked.

-kpluck

• Reply 10 of 118
    I think 16, 64, 128 was/is dumb. I get that they might want a cheaper/less-storage option for business but 16gb is too small nowadays.
    It should be 64, 128, 256 ;)

I know there's app slicing etc in iOS9 but that's gonna take time to filter into real world app-store apps.
    Anyone buying a 16gb is not gonna have a great experience and they're likely the price conscious people coming from android that otherwise would see a big positive.
    I think this is a case where AAPL should forego some profit to give at least lower end users a better product.

In case anyone wonders I have a 128gb 6+ and am undecided about upgrading - but if I do upgrade it will be largest capacity for me.
  • Reply 11 of 118
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You can always get the iPhone 6 with 32GB for $650.
    You can always get a worse phone in a storage option that isn't available?

Great solution bro.
  • Reply 12 of 118
    This makes sense.  Nice move by Apple.

Lets say you only have $199 to pay for a phone.  Your choice is either:

16GB iPhone 6S or
    32GB iPhone 6

I'm loving the new iPhone line up this fall:

$299 iPhone 6S+
    $199 iPhone 6S - 16 GB
    $199 iPhone 6 - 32 GB
    $99 iPhone 6 - 16 GB
    $0 iPhone 5S 

I thought you said Apple wouldn't keep last years phones at $100 cheaper because they would cannibalize the flagships? Also according to 9to5Mac Apple is keeping both the 6 and 6 Plus around.
  • Reply 13 of 118
    You can always get the iPhone 6 with 32GB for $650.

Where?
  • Reply 14 of 118
    The mid-level phone will be the iPhone6

$99 iPhone6 - 16GB
    $149 iPhone6 - 32GB

Research first Bro.

Says who? Apple hasn't announced anything. And what if I want the flagship? Apple's just milking their best customers for $100 more?
  • Reply 15 of 118
    If people are so hardup for cash they always can buy the iPhone6 32 GB for $199

Seriously, what the hell is $100 over 2 years.  Its like paying a dime a day.  Or skipping one Starbucks drink a month.

Didn't you freak out over paying $1 a month for more iCloud storage?
  • Reply 16 of 118

I hope they release a 16GB version just to piss off all the experts who think Apple MUST make 32GB the base model.

• Reply 17 of 118

THERE IS NO 32GB OPTION FOR THE IPHONE OR IPAD ANYMORE!!! Where do you keep coming up with this 32GB option? It doesn't exist!

• Reply 18 of 118
    If people are so hardup for cash they always can buy the iPhone6 32 GB for $199

Seriously, what the hell is $100 over 2 years.  Its like paying a dime a day.  Or skipping one Starbucks drink a month.

Why do you keep mentioning something that is currently on sale and hasn't been announced by Apple? The fact is upselling people from 16 to 64 is basically pure profit for Apple. It's the reason they can report $18B profit in a quarter. But amazingly they were able to develop the iPod, iPhone and and iPad when they had much smaller profits. So clearly they can do amazing R&D without milking customers.
  • Reply 19 of 118
    I hope they release a 16GB version just to piss off all the experts who think Apple MUST make 32GB the base model.

Right because pissing off customers is such a good idea.
  • Reply 20 of 118
    Pay up if you want the flagship son.

Its like some clown crying that Ferrari doesn't sell a $50k car.

And why should Apple care?  The first 3 months of iPhone release they cannot even keep up with demand!  Why the hell should they sell it at a discount?  After 6 months most carriers sell iPhones with incentives so then you are getting the 64GB model at a discount.

Apple will care when people start giving them the middle finger instead of the other way around. ;)