New, polished Apple TV interface said to 'blow away' existing smart TVs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
The launch of new Apple TV hardware may have been delayed from WWDC to Apple's Sept. 9 event to allow the company more time to polish its interface, one that will allegedly "blow away" current, "junky" smart TV interfaces.

In a preview of Apple's upcoming event, Matthew Panzarino of TechCrunch revealed some interesting tidbits he's heard from sources about the anticipated hardware refresh. Specifically, he said the interface on the new device has been heavily refined by the company, particularly in the final touches put in place.

Panzarino went as far as to say that the new iteration of the set-top box will be the "first real Apple TV product" from the Cupertino, Calif., company.

He believes that by including an App Store that will allow content to be delivered directly to consumers, Apple will gain leverage in negotiations with traditional media companies. Those talks for a subscription streaming TV service have allegedly been held up over issues of pricing.

"A mid-market breakout box offering is one thing, but a huge, rumbling platform with an upward trajectory of living-room dominating apps and third-party content is another beast," Panzarino wrote. "If, obviously if, Apple is successful with the Apple TV, it could be in a position to dominate content in a way that no other 'smart' TV platform has before it."

The report also reaffirmed that the new Apple TV is expected to boast the same A8 processor found in the current iPhone 6 series. But sources indicated that Apple will be able to push the chip even farther with a new dual-core configuration that is constantly plugged into the wall, with no need to worry about battery conservation as in an iPhone.

Earlier reports estimated the A8's PowerVR graphics that are estimated to be about on par with a Sony PlayStation 3.

Panzarino also revealed that Siri support on the new Apple TV is said to be possible through a microphone on the device's new touchpad controller. He expects the revamped controller will also include motion sensors that could put it on par with Nintendo's Wii remote, and offer similar style gaming functionality.

All will be revealed at Apple's media event on Sept. 9, where it is also expected to take the wraps off of its next-generation "iPhone 6s" series. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage from San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 241
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope he's right. And hopefully it wasn't the Apple Music engineers working on the interface.
  • Reply 2 of 241
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I hope it's 1/10th as good as it sounds.
  • Reply 3 of 241
    solipsismy wrote: »

Yes. Almost sounds too good to be true.
    And it's my b-day as well where the original idea was to get the watch. Now plans may broaden....

I really hope they can amaze us once more.
  • Reply 4 of 241
    uh. that tech crunch link with 'interesting tidbits' is a wrong link.
    it redirects to 'theverge.com article of android wear being supported for iPhone users'
  • Reply 5 of 241
    The A8's GPU is NOT equivalent to the PS3. That's the next generation of PowerVR graphics likely coming in the A9.

And there are more to games than graphics. The fantasy that an AppleTV will replace dedicated game consoles is sheer lunacy.

That being said, hopefully it's actually a decent, open streaming box. The current one is way too closed down.
  • Reply 6 of 241
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    When product becomes complex and expectations of users are sky high. Apple should offer decent and improve it fast as feedback start rolling in. One will always find a set of users with UN-resonable expectation but that can also be met with time and patience.

Let's hope, new Apple-TV starts laying down ground for mid tier game console, first tier set-top box streaming(TV,video,music), decent Homekit Hub, reasonable internet browsing(may be 802.11ac router), etc. I will buy for $249-$299 if all these can be in one device.
  • Reply 7 of 241
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    And it's my b-day as well where the original idea was to get the watch. Now plans may broaden....

Do you know how common that day is for a birthday? It's the 2nd most common day, after Sept. 16th.

My hypothesis is due to Xmas and NYE being just over 9 months before that's why people have some extra free time on their hands (and other body parts). :smokey:

Now tell me your mother's maiden name and the name your first childhood pet so I can tell you how common those are¡

sog35 wrote: »
    Sucks that I have jury duty on Sept 9th.  

Seriously.

That sounds like a legitimate reason to get out of it.
  • Reply 8 of 241
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

""blow away" current, "junky" smart TV interfaces"

That's a rather easy bar to beat.  From the brief experiences I've had trying to use "current" smart TV interfaces my now ancient second gen AppleTV is considerably better IMHO.

• Reply 9 of 241
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Expectations are irrationally high. Tech wannabe spec mongers want everything under the sun. Not gonna happen.

• Reply 10 of 241
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »

In all likelihood that's exactly what it's going to be.
  • Reply 11 of 241
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Apropos of nothing, intriguing new comments from Ray Kurzweil:  http://genius.com/Ray-kurzweil-how-the-world-will-change-annotated

• Reply 12 of 241
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Aww... You made a funny.

• Reply 13 of 241
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Aww... You made a funny.

Well allow me to thank you for that acknowledgement.
  • Reply 14 of 241
    sog35 wrote: »
    Sucks that I have jury duty on Sept 9th.  

Seriously.

Tell them that you believe in jury nullification and you'll be excused.
  • Reply 15 of 241
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That doesn't always work. I've heard some judges will ask you if you're capable of rendering a fair judgment based on evidence presented (or something to that effect) and they'll not let you off the hook. In many places, they're having problems getting jurors and accept fewer excuses these days.

• Reply 16 of 241
    Apple will not replace console or PC gaming with this unit. However the masses will be more than satisfied with the graphics capability of an A8 chip. Apple has always known how to appease the masses and that is what they will do here.

We are all ready for a game changer.
  • Reply 17 of 241
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The A8's GPU is NOT equivalent to the PS3. That's the next generation of PowerVR graphics likely coming in the A9.

And there are more to games than graphics. The fantasy that an AppleTV will replace dedicated game consoles is sheer lunacy.

That being said, hopefully it's actually a decent, open streaming box. The current one is way too closed down.

Apple offers a bazillion games for iPhone/Pad/Touch. They and the developers clearly get the game business.

Ninento sold millions upon millions of the original Wii. It was not the best performer in any sense, but it opened gaming consoles to a huge market, from toddlers to seniors, who would have no desire to use complicated PS3 or XBox systems or play games with huge learning curves. If Apple could combine the user friendliness of Wii with decent performance and an app store with developers willing to port games over and then develop brand new games, they will have a grand slam on the gaming side.

• Reply 18 of 241
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Sounds awesome. With Internet tv exploding Apple is could not have delayed this upgrade any further.
    And as much as I use the chromecast stick, and as convenient as it is, it really is pretty junky. But it's been the most convenient device to date. Expect google to follow rather quickly. Advertising directly to the living too sounds rather lucrative. Especially with the slow death of consumer desktops and ad blocking on Apple devices.
  • Reply 19 of 241
    dasanman69 wrote: »

That doesn't always work. I've heard some judges will ask you if you're capable of rendering a fair judgment based on evidence presented (or something to that effect) and they'll not let you off the hook. In many places, they're having problems getting jurors and accept fewer excuses these days.

To that I say "fair is subjective"
  • Reply 20 of 241
    Apropos of nothing, intriguing new comments from Ray Kurzweil:  http://genius.com/Ray-kurzweil-how-the-world-will-change-annotated

Wow what a load of bull he speaks. We were promised hover boards 30 years ago and he reckons we'll have a pool of self-driving cars to hail in 18 months time. Lmfao