Purported 'iPhone 6s' box suggests Apple will keep entry-level capacity at 16GB

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Just like I said 16GB is still the majority. Why drop?
  • Reply 82 of 118
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So Apple makes the same profit margins as Google and Microsoft.  So what seems to be the problem?  If you call Apple greedy you need to call Google/Microsoft greedy also.

Lots of people call Google and Microsoft greedy.

• Reply 83 of 118
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

What a killer line up:

iPhone 6S+ $299

iPhone 6S  $199

iPhone 6+ - 32GB - $249

iPhone 6+ - 16GB - $199

iPhone 6 - 32 GB - $149

iPhone 6 - 16 GB - $99

iPhone 5S - 16 GB - $0

Wow. Damn.  Loving it.  Covers almost all price points, size, and storage options.

Quote:

Dude.  I was talking about the incremental price difference between the 16GB model and the 64GB model.  You know, what this whole topic is about.  

You have mixed "down prices" with your discussion of the extra flash memory prices. Please be clear on which you are referring to.

• Reply 84 of 118
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically Apple's #1 priority is margins and ASPs not the best consumer experience. Great. image

Without margins and profits Apple cannot build and maintain the best ecosystem in the world.  

Without margins and profits Apple cannot invest the needed R&D to make awesome new products and services.

Without margins and profits Apple cannot maintain top talent since 90% of the compensation for top end employees is stock options.

You are free to choose a piece of shit Android phone if you want.  

There are hundreds of millions of people who are willing to pay for quality.

Apple have got enough money to buy Luxembourg. It's ok to have a 16 GB model on an ipod but on a phone that starts at $1000 AUD, it's a joke. A sad joke really.

• Reply 85 of 118
    *crickets*

Thought so.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    If rumors are true about 4k video and 12MP camera they should consider moving the storage up. However with the ability to only store lower res versions on the device and full res on Apple's servers maybe the lower capacity is enough.

Even a 256GB model would not be enough for 4K. Apple's best option for 4K is to being back the SD-card, even if it's just a Lightning attachment. 35-50Mbit HEVC is going to be around 375MB per minute.

The reality is, 16GB is just fine for the people who use Spotify and such, because they don't need to carry around 20GB of music around.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    analogjack wrote: »
    Apple have got enough money to buy Luxembourg. It's ok to have a 16 GB model on an ipod but on a phone that starts at $1000 AUD, it's a joke. A sad joke really.

So you're saying because the iPod costs less it should have less storage capacity than the iPhone, without any regard for all the components and licensing in the iPhone that makes it cost more? Really?!
  • Reply 88 of 118
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    misa wrote: »
    Even a 256GB model would not be enough for 4K. Apple's best option for 4K is to being back the SD-card, even if it's just a Lightning attachment. 35-50Mbit HEVC is going to be around 375MB per minute.

The reality is, 16GB is just fine for the people who use Spotify and such, because they don't need to carry around 20GB of music around.

Where is your math? A 42-44 minute pilot episode of Breaking Bad in 4K video from Netflix is 18GiB in H.264. Let's cut that in half for H.265/HEVC. In 1080p H.264 it's about 4.5GiB, so all we're really talking is double that. That means, based on your previous statement that 256GB wouldn't be enough that 128GB wouldn't be enough for 1080p/H.264 and yet it is, and is for those that have smaller capacity sizes who may take or load the occasional video.
  • Reply 89 of 118

Number of people here who want a 32GB iPhone 6s: 0

Number of people here using this as a reason to criticize Apple: EVERYONE

• Reply 90 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Number of people here who want a 32GB iPhone 6s: 0
    Number of people here using this as a reason to criticize Apple: EVERYONE

Hmm...I'm sure some people would be shocked they were put in the criticize category. :lol:

So either your suggesting everyone here wants at least a 64GB phone or they wouldn't take a 32GB phone instead of 16GB if Apple offered it. Somehow I don't think either of those are true. ;)

Btw in 2006 Apple's profit as a percentage of premium was 10.2%. In 2005 it was 9.5%. In 2014 it was 21.6%. Somehow Apple was able to bring the iPhone, iPad, unibody Macs etc. to life on profit margins that were half what they are today. Of course I'm not suggesting Apple's profit margin should only be 10%. But the notion that upping the entry level iPhone to 32GB Will somehow prevent apples from investing in R&D is ridiculous. If that's the case then why did Apple offer 64GB for the price of 32GB? Isn't that hurting profit margins?
  • Reply 91 of 118
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...I'm sure some people would be shocked they were put in the criticize category. :lol:

So either your suggesting everyone here wants at least a 64GB phone or they wouldn't take a 32GB phone instead of 16GB if Apple offered it. Somehow I don't think either of those are true. ;)

Btw in 2006 Apple's profit as a percentage of premium was 10.2%. In 2005 it was 9.5%. In 2014 it was 21.6%. Somehow Apple was able to bring the iPhone, iPad, unibody Macs etc. to life on profit margins that were half what they are today. Of course I'm not suggesting Apple's profit margin should only be 10%. But the notion that upping the entry level iPhone to 32GB Will somehow prevent apples from investing in R&D is ridiculous. If that's the case then why did Apple offer 64GB for the price of 32GB? Isn't that hurting profit margins?

No you're playing a game of Fantasy Apple Product Manager. It's like Fantasy Football except you pick Apple's product line up. Other people are doing it in this thread. Just look at all those fantasy product SKUs by specs and prices!

You have completely missed the point of my quip, which is: everyone here is making a "but think of the other people" argument (it's like "but think of the children"). Everyone is expressing indignation that Apple would sell the 16GB iPhone 6s all those unfortunate OTHER PEOPLE. Tell me why I should care? I am not a 32GB customer; I don't want it. Then I ask: who among you people in the forums personally is trying to buy a 32GB iPhone 6s? Who here wants to buy it? NOBODY. Then why do you people care what Apple sells to OTHER people?

The buying choice you make is the only one that counts in the free market. Being offended on behalf of some hypothetical customer whom you say Apple is fleecing counts for nothing. Those hypothetical customers have the same choice to make as the rest of us. Buy 16, 64, 128 GB iPhone or go buy a 32GB something else. That is what counts.
  • Reply 92 of 118
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Fantasy Apple Product Manager could be a great game. No matter how well you're doing, the stock market is apathetic and rumour forums call for your head on a spike.
  • Reply 93 of 118

Apple is entirely right to sell a 16 GB iPhone.

Consumers simply need to choose the iPhone best for their needs.  

They need to realize that they cannot stuff all of their belongings into a small storage iPhone if they choose the 16 GB model.

ANALOGIES:

16GB iPhone = 1 Bedroom Condominium, 600 Square Feet

64 GB iPhone = 3 Bedroom Home with 1-car garage, 1800 Sqaare Feet

128 GB iPhone = 5 Bedroom Home with 3-car garage, 4000 Square Feet 

Businesses prefer the 16 GB iPhone for their employees. Their employees won’t fill up their iPhones with data, unnecessary information, personal apps or photos, or worse – information that compromises the business if the iPhone was stolen. Businesses generally use only a few apps - and certainly not multigigabyte games.

Many people, such as Android Phone Users, just need a 1 bedroom condo iPhone. The vast majority of Android Phone Users simply use it for the phone calls and text messages. The smartphone isn’t their primary personal computer or center of their life. It is a PHONE.

If you buy a 1 bedroom condo, you cannot expect to house visitors nor raise a family in such a small place.  You cannot even put a lot of belongings in such a home.  Often, you have to keep belongings in an external storage unit.  If you need more room, then simply move out and buy a bigger home.

• Reply 94 of 118

A 16GB iPhone is technically useless, even more so when 4K video capabilities are factored in. Other than maybe businesses, what is a compelling use case for this configuration other than purely to push people to a higher paying tier, since that is what Apple seems to be all about these days?

• Reply 95 of 118
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pbrstreetg wrote: »
    A 16GB iPhone is technically useless, even more so when 4K video capabilities are factored in. Other than maybe businesses, what is a compelling use case for this configuration other than purely to push people to a higher paying tier, since that is what Apple seems to be all about these days?

My argument is about cost not about usefulness of size. If Apple can sell 64GB for the price of 32GB then they should be able to sell 32GB for the price of 16GB. Of course we all know why they don't; because 32GB would be the sweet spot and Apple wants people spending $100 more. It's probably why they don't offer the silver Sport watch with black band, because Schiller would rather you spend the extra $200 and get the SS watch. And even if you don't do that you're still spending another $49 if you want the black band instead of white or colored.
  • Reply 96 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

My argument is about cost not about usefulness of size. If Apple can sell 64GB for the price of 32GB then they should be able to sell 32GB for the price of 16GB. Of course we all know why they don't; because 32GB would be the sweet spot and Apple wants people spending $100 more. It's probably why they don't offer the silver Sport watch with black band, because Schiller would rather you spend the extra $200 and get the SS watch. And even if you don't do that you're still spending another $49 if you want the black band instead of white or colored.

I understand and respect your viewpoint totally; I just think that Apple's 16GB tier is compromised right out of the box. From a personal perspective, I'd like to make 32GB work but even with a 64GB configuration, I have less than 20GB left on my iPhone, most of the space is occupied by photos and video. I can only imagine how that would be with 4k video clips.

• Reply 97 of 118
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Yeah, not surprised. A 32GB base model would be a sweet spot for too many people. Apple wants to push everyone to buy the next higher capacity.

I agree, 32GB would be perfect for me. The 64GB size is overkill for me.

For now I'm just getting by with 16GB.

• Reply 98 of 118

Absolute BS. It's 2015. Storage costs Apple pennies! So happy I jumped off the iPhone ship in 2013! Enjoying my 64GB GS6 edge. No other phone maker is giving less than 32GB for the base model of their flagship device!

• Reply 100 of 118

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/12/28/reason-apple-still-sells-16gb-iphone/

"If the company did make the 32GB model the base model, there would be fewer and fewer buyers going for the 64GB iPhones, thus spending less money that doesn’t go into Apple’s pockets. A 32GB base iPhone model would essentially cannibalize 64GB and 128GB iPhone sales."