Apple Music director Ian Rogers makes surprise departure for new job

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    If the acquisition of Beats ever turns a profit I'll eat my hat. Jimmy Iovine embarrassed himself and Apple in his lone appeareance on behalf of the company and Apple will have to sell billions of headphones to earn its investment back. I'm among many core Apple users who never subscribed to Apple Music even though its free. Just read another report about a guy who was rendered to tears by what Music did to his library and album art. Many have complained about Music making to difficult access their library and control their music. I admit it, I'm an old timer, but Apple's latest moves have not been clicking with me.
  • Reply 42 of 72

The real answer to these things are often 'he just didn't fit in,' or 'had conflict with more senior Apple executives.'

No big deal.

• Reply 43 of 72
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Probably because Beats music was better than Apple Music. I've used both.

Was Beats better than MOG?  I liked MOG a lot better than Apple Music, and went back to Pandora when Beats bought MOG.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

If the acquisition of Beats ever turns a profit I'll eat my hat. Jimmy Iovine embarrassed himself and Apple in his lone appeareance on behalf of the company and Apple will have to sell billions of headphones to earn its investment back. I'm among many core Apple users who never subscribed to Apple Music even though its free. Just read another report about a guy who was rendered to tears by what Music did to his library and album art. Many have complained about Music making to difficult access their library and control their music. I admit it, I'm an old timer, but Apple's latest moves have not been clicking with me.

They paid 2.8x revenue, they will get that money back very quickly.

• Reply 44 of 72

All tattoos are stupid, but to each his/her own.

• Reply 45 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Uvan View Post

I still haven't signed up for Apple Music. Not because I don't think it'd be cool. But I feel like I need an opportunity in my life for some downtime when I can spend the three month trial really digging in and using it a lot. If I start the trial now, and I'm too busy, the trial will slip by and I won't have had a chance to really try it all out.

My other concern is that I'm an iTunes Match subscriber. And I _LOVE_ iTunes Match. I'm a bit worried that signing up for Apple Music might pooch my iTunes Matched library. Have these issues been resolved yet?

I should have waited as well...not that I was too busy, but because Apple Music platform is still a muddy MESS. And while probably still one the best interfaces, IMO, I still can't find the music I'm looking for without fumbling around.

But FWIW, it didn't mess up my original iTunes Match playlists. YMMV.

• Reply 46 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    In before "the Beats deal was a disaster".
    mj web wrote: »

Oops too late!!

Beats makes a huge profit every year. This deal should pay for itself in 2 years or even sooner.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    "My work here is done. God speed, beats 1."
  • Reply 48 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    paxman wrote: »
    Shameful, perhaps, but it is the new reality. I completely see your point but the world has changed and it will not go back to royalty based earnings from albums sold.

BWAHAHAHA!!

These ignorant comments always crack me up.

If it were your job cutting your check in half and customers were stealing from you, you'd be on FIRE!!

This whole shrugging off artists(yet you listen to their sh** every day) is damn shameful.

"Reality" can always change. You don't have to be a sock puppet who just accepts it.

The labels really screwed the artist. I still say Apple should start a label so artists can actually keep making music instead of acting in movies or working at a fast food joint.
    Apple already has the biggest label execs in the industry employed.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Apple Music is ambitious, but ultimately doesn't bring anything new to the table.  So why use it?  Why switch from something that already works for you?  I think Apple is going to struggle with this one, not because the product/service is bad, but because they haven't given customers a compelling reason to switch from other services.

Well I will be paying for Apple Music rather than Spotify because the family plan is less expensive and my wife & kids love to stream music.  

• Reply 50 of 72
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Apple buying Beats shows its weakness.  What is the value of Beats that worth $3 billion?  Probably not Ian since he already left.  

• Reply 51 of 72
    mj web wrote: »

I'm fine if you speak for yourself, but trying to speak for "core Apple users" is a stretch. The rest of your post is hand waving, general criticism. If you are having issues with an Apple product, contact Apple directly.

Unless of course, your entire purpose was to criticize.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

BWAHAHAHA!!

These ignorant comments always crack me up.

If it were your job cutting your check in half and customers were stealing from you, you'd be on FIRE!!

This whole shrugging off artists(yet you listen to their sh** every day) is damn shameful.

"Reality" can always change. You don't have to be a sock puppet who just accepts it.

The labels really screwed the artist. I still say Apple should start a label so artists can actually keep making music instead of acting in movies or working at a fast food joint.

Apple already has the biggest label execs in the industry employed.

I don't think Apple needs to start its own label.  I think it needs to hasten the time at which labels become irrelevant.

The reasons for the labels to exist in the first place were:

(1) you needed their studios and equipment to produce your music,

(2) you needed their resources to produce a large (hopefully) number of physical copies of your music (i.e. records, tapes, CDs, etc),

(3) you needed their marketing to get your music discovered (via radio contacts, etc), and

(4) you needed their distribution connections to get the products onto record company shelves

What need for the labels now when people can produce their own music, deliver it electronically, and get discovered on YouTube or Apple Music, etc?

• Reply 53 of 72
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

If the acquisition of Beats ever turns a profit I'll eat my hat. Jimmy Iovine embarrassed himself and Apple in his lone appeareance on behalf of the company and Apple will have to sell billions of headphones to earn its investment back.

Pretty sure each pair of Beats headphones sold turns more than a $1.50 profit.

• Reply 54 of 72

Here's the simple problem with Apple Music.  There's not a lot of great music being created at this moment in history.  It's hard to get people interested in something that is at a creative low point.  

• Reply 55 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Here's the simple problem with Apple Music.  There's not a lot of great music being created at this moment in history.  It's hard to get people interested in something that is at a creative low point.  

Country music is still the top-selling music in the US. So much focus on "EDM" is a big mistake, in my opinion.

• Reply 56 of 72
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Nonsense.

• Reply 57 of 72
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    thrang wrote: »
    By the buck stops here way of thinking, I agree. Though I'm not sure the demo person defines anything remotely connected to responsibility

However, Apple is so large, I would imagine the director of the service would have significant input and control, as how much time can Cue devote to the multitude of details of a product?

Of course, he should, as should all of the executives - Jobs would spend incredible time being focused on some of the smallest details of products, holding or killing things if it wasn't just right. Some of the things wrong with Apple Music and infrastructure makes me think that they aren't eating their own dog food (from the perspective of the typical user) as often as they should.

So, firmly in the realm of idle speculation.. Cue wasn't aware of these issues, and Rogers, as the project lead is now gone. Or Rogers is taking the heat for an internal fall out even if the final decisions weren't his alone.

Rogers seemed to be in charge of the beats music station at Apple. Not my cup of tea but fairly successful by all accounts. Of course eddy cue is involved in the look and feel of iTunes and apple music. That's his job. It's two apps ( three if you think desktop iTunes is a different app). Designers present ideas, he signs off. He probably also tests the app. Managers who don't are worthless. Not that I rate eddy.

jameskatt2 wrote: »

Maybe he was simply homesick for England.
    Maybe he has wife and kids there who he did not want to uproot.

My guess. Americans are amazed when we prefer Blighty or Europe but sometimes we do.
    slurpy wrote: »
    Maybe he *shocker" accomplished what he set out to accomplish, which is to setup Beats1 and launch Apple music, and now wants to move on to something new?

Na, obviously he's just fleeing a sinking ship, etc. 

Maybe. It could be differences with Cue. We might never know. All ex Apple execs seem to take a vow of silence.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

How do I hear about new artist? From friends, live performances, and even TV, show's like SNL has always been at the forefront of upcoming musicians. 

That's nice that you have the ability but my friends often have different tastes to me and so I don't care what music they listen to. Live performances here in NZ can be a bit of a joke and we don't really have music TV shows here anymore and most of it is the same as music my friends listen to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

I'm from a generation that prefers to have copies of their music in arm's reach to play when I like. I don't like subscribing to many things either. Again I'm not the target audience of Apple Music however I really like Match. 

I don't see why people see the two as mutually exclusive.

The thing I LOVE about Apple Music over iTunes Match is that if I love an artist I can go to their listings and download their entire music library to my device and truly listen to their music without having to pay for the entire album. You can't do that with iTunes Match without first buying the music. That gets expensive when you might only be curious.

I think people aren't giving it the chance it really deserves all because of some idiot Spotify and Rdio fans. Apple Music has much better value for money than Spotify.

I LOVE Apple Music and I will definitely pay for the service which, considering I never liked the idea of streaming music, says a lot actually. It is so much more than a streaming service and it is much of a disservice to Apple Music to think of it as such.

• Reply 59 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

The real answer to these things are often 'he just didn't fit in,' or 'had conflict with more senior Apple executives.'

No big deal.

Or, given that he's gone to a completely different field, he's had enough of the music industry and wants to try something new.

Hell, I've been in IT for almost 20 years I've had enough and I'm thinking of getting a plumbing apprenticeship.

• Reply 60 of 72
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I don't think Apple needs to start its own label.  I think it needs to hasten the time at which labels become irrelevant.

The reasons for the labels to exist in the first place were:

(1) you needed their studios and equipment to produce your music,

(2) you needed their resources to produce a large (hopefully) number of physical copies of your music (i.e. records, tapes, CDs, etc),

(3) you needed their marketing to get your music discovered (via radio contacts, etc), and

(4) you needed their distribution connections to get the products onto record company shelves

What need for the labels now when people can produce their own music, deliver it electronically, and get discovered on YouTube or Apple Music, etc?

Agreed with everything you said.  But you forgot one essential thing.  Labels advance money to artists for everything from studio time to advertising to promotional services (ie: radio servicing, magazines servicing).  While everything you wrote is completely valid, how are artists going to record albums?  The entire industry can't rely on crowd funding.  A lot of expense goes into producing and promoting a record.  Most artists don't have the ability to self-fund, hence the continued need for labels.