This week on AppleInsider: Sept. 9 event confirmed, Tim Cook on China, Apple TV rumors & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Apple this week confirmed a Sept. 9 press event, even as last-minute rumors about it continued to flow. The company simultaneously dealt with economic tumult, as well as losing one of its key Apple Music executives.

Apple's Sept. 9 press event

Apple on Thursday sent out media invitations to a Sept. 9 event at San Francisco's Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. Unusually the invites were Siri-themed, suggesting that Apple has major plans for the voice technology.

The event is expected to focus on an iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, but more importantly a completely revamped Apple TV -- featuring Siri support, as well as an A8 processor, a touchpad remote, and a unique App Store.

Tim Cook calms China concerns

In another unusual move, Apple CEO Tim Cook on Monday sent an email to CNBC's Jim Cramer, looking to pacify concerns investors might have about economic troubles in China. Cook suggested that Apple has been doing well throughout July and August.

The action immediately raised questions about whether Cook was violating Securities and Exchange Commision regulations. These prevent publicly-traded companies from sharing certain information privately without also disclosing it openly.

Flood of 'iPhone 6s' rumors

A multitude of next-generation iPhone rumors emerged this week, apparently backing earlier claims about the devices. iOS code and a parts leak, for example, hinted that the devices will indeed get Force Touch controls.

Another report claimed that the phones will have 4K video and front-facing flash, and two others showed supposed boxes, including one hinting that Apple will stick to 16 gigabytes of storage on base models.

Apple Music director leaves for new job

Ian Rogers, formerly the CEO of Beats Music, made a sudden departure from Apple to work at a Europe-based company. While at Apple, he was instrumental in the development of Beats 1 radio.

Apple confirmed Rogers' exit, but refused to comment any further. Rogers was one of several top-level executives Apple brought over after its $3 billion takeover of Beats in 2014.

New Apple TV to 'blow away' other TV interfaces, lack Apple streaming service

One report claimed that the updated set-top will have a radically improved user inteface, better than any other smart TV option on the market. Part of this may involve the touchpad remote, which could also have a microphone for Siri and motion sensors for functions like gaming.

At the same time, another story reinforced views that Apple's long-delayed streaming TV service will have to wait. The main obstacle is thought to be Apple'a insistence on keeping the price to about $40 a month, lower than media companies are allegedly willing to accept.

AppleInsider podcast

Editors sat down to talk about a variety of topics, including Sept. 9 predictions, "Apple Car" rumors, and Apple's trouble on Wall Street.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I hope there's a huge increase in RAM. I'm sick of web pages reloading when I return to Safari after checking Mail, for example. I mean, I was gone for 5 seconds and it couldn't retain that one web page in memory?!
  • Reply 2 of 9

I think you are overlooking a huge possibility for an app store on AppleTV. I think yes games for more casual gamers who might not want the additional expense of dedicated console are certainly a possibility. The bigger possibility would be an AppleTV store that would feature hardware and software for HomeKit that might be more difficult to find scattered around the internet. An AppleTV store, that featured these products front and center in one place and had demos etc to show off the capabilities of such HomeKit enabled packages, could be a boon for Apple when it comes to driving innovation in the living room. While some more tech oriented types are into home automation most general consumers are not. This would drive awareness of such HomeKit devices and also serve to educate and drive demand. Apple would of course receive it's customary cut albeit smaller than the usual 30%.

• Reply 3 of 9

I am skeptical about self driving cars. Car owners don't own cars to be driven. Even the wealthy who can afford drivers and such like to DRIVE fancy sports cars. Soccer moms have popularized SUVs because of the empowering nature of DRIVING. Here particularly in the United States we have a love affair with cars that is based around the thrill and enjoyment of driving. Ride sharing is great for cities, but outside of major municipalities Americans like the convenience of their own vehicle or a vehicle that can be their for a period of time and DRIVING it, not having some computer do the speed limit and signal every lane change properly.

I do believe Apple wants to do a car for the environment impact of vehicles. Tim wants to make a car that will improve air quality, be sustainable. So I think Apple is drawn to the electric car movement to break the hold of oil on the world. Or the clean car movement.

Apple makes end to end solutions so I don't believe they will make a car OS that they would license out to car makers. That is simply not the Apple way. A gamble sure but Apple had no experience in the phone business either and well we all know how that has turned out.

• Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleTechSpot View Post

I am skeptical about self driving cars. Car owners don't own cars to be driven. Even the wealthy who can afford drivers and such like to DRIVE fancy sports cars. Soccer moms have popularized SUVs because of the empowering nature of DRIVING. Here particularly in the United States we have a love affair with cars that is based around the thrill and enjoyment of driving. Ride sharing is great for cities, but outside of major municipalities Americans like the convenience of their own vehicle or a vehicle that can be their for a period of time and DRIVING it, not having some computer do the speed limit and signal every lane change properly.

I do believe Apple wants to do a car for the environment impact of vehicles. Tim wants to make a car that will improve air quality, be sustainable. So I think Apple is drawn to the electric car movement to break the hold of oil on the world. Or the clean car movement.

Apple makes end to end solutions so I don't believe they will make a car OS that they would license out to car makers. That is simply not the Apple way. A gamble sure but Apple had no experience in the phone business either and well we all know how that has turned out.

Well, I guess I would be the antithesis.   All I want out or a vehicle is convenience.  I want to know it works when I need it, it gets me from point A to point B as fast as possible and with as little effort as possible - when I decide I want to go to point B (not wait in line).  If I can get in a vehicle and it be like a mini version of my living room where I can sit down and put my laptop on a table and play or work on the computer.... or sit around a table with friends and play cards.....  that would be great.  Driving long distances (I am talking 7 to 14 hours in a day) there is nothing more boring than to have to keep your focus on that little patch of highway ahead of the vehicle.  If I want to have fun.... and take personal control.... then there is always the motorcycle.

• Reply 5 of 9
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Agreed AppleTechSpot... That's why I think it's a livery service... 'AppleTaxi' maybe?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yes to both car arguments. There are still many that like to drive, but that experience is being steamrolled by the the increasing amount of the CupHolder/Texter* generation (not age defined) that find driving "boring" and will do anything but (drive) while in the driver's seat.
    This unfortunately is overwhelming the sanity and patience of those who understand the responsibility and importance of paying attention (while, you know, driving).
    The epidemic of stupid, coupled with ignorant narcissism appears to be irresistible and will inevitably change the previously time honoured concept of driving.

* covers all "social" media
  • Reply 7 of 9

Better podcast. The Skype call audio breaks up a lot, but that's so normal for Skype, that use the interruptions in sound and video in that horror movie "Unfriended." For the record, FaceTime audio has always been really good, but I don't think there's video conferencing.

Also, I'm not sure Skype's audio compression does Mikey's voice justice. It's probably not even tuned for those deep, bassy frequencies.

• Reply 8 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Breaking news --- Apple TV 4 coming in October for under $200, Apple TV 3 stays & gets new streaming service
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    wood1208 wrote: »
    Breaking news --- Apple TV 4 coming in October for under $200, Apple TV 3 stays & gets new streaming service
    The rumor is either $149 or $199 isn't it?

EDIT: according to 9to5