Comparison: Subscribing to Apple Music vs. Google Play Music

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    ...but, as lifelong music lover, I can say that Apple Music is nothing short of phenomenal.
    I agree totally. They've done such a good job with the curation, ease of discovering new great music, instead of discovering new crap music like in for instance Spotify. Because Apple seems to care about finding good music to your taste. Others, it seems, rely on either commercial rules (pay to get higher up on the list) or algorithms, that fail to understand the quality in music.
    And about the UI. I actually like it.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The number one single complaint I have with Apple Music is Apple's insistence on co-mingling purchased music with iCloud music in the same iTunes library. Until that's fixed, none of the other things matter.

The thing is, it was such a boneheaded design decision, and one that someone who was passionate about their music collection would never have made in the first place.
  • Reply 43 of 81

September is right around the corner. It's going to be interesting seeing how ?Music plays out over the next 2 months.

• Reply 44 of 81
    Just started my Apple Music trial and already I have to say I like it. A lot.

It seems mature already and the UI is actually exceedingly easy to use and the entire experience is very high end. Googles looks like crap.

It's easy to find the type of music I want as well as an exact song.

Spotlfy is nice. But Apple simply built their system better.

I've yet to be hit with deleted playlists, etc. so I'll hold final did feme t for a couple months.

But initial impressions are very good.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danielagos View Post

I don't see why you think Apple Music UI is complex. Google hides options in a hamburguer menu, which is awful (they don't seem to mind about UI usability though, they use that kind of menu in many of their apps). Unfortunately, Apple Music is indeed full of bugs.

Using a command bar at the bottom is a good UI design practice for smaller apps, where the number of commands/features is limited to 5. Having multiple command bars in a single app, like in Apple Music, is a nightmare in terms of usability. As an end user you frequently hopping around to find the right button on the right command bar.  And because hopping around does not go that easy in a multi layered command bar structure, this approach fails.  Squeezing out the bugs of Apple Music won't help that much, the UI design will remain bad, especially for the iPhone. 

The approach of the Google is better and easier to use.  Remember, the app of AppleInsider also uses a hamburger menu

• Reply 46 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple's business model is stupid. I want free music. Did I mention Google Music is free? I love Google. Google is so awesome you guys. Everyone should try it. Did I mention it's free? Here, look at some more ads. Click 'em. Click as many as you like! That's a huge advantage for Google Music.

Nonsense. There is an even better and more free service called YouTube. All the music you like, and it is uber-free. 

Let me just check who owns it...wait....Darn. 

;-)

So, one more time: Yes, I know, people want to have all-yo-can-eat for FREE, online, offline, any line. What price? Please collect more of my data and sell it onward, I could not be happier. Free is the new Amendment to the Constitution. Adds? They do not count s price. And if I don't like it, I will find even freer music somewhere, just like good old Napster times. Who cares about artists anyway? Why they should earn money, when I can listen to it for FREE? Discovering new Artists, and giving them a platform for reaching a broader audience? Meh. Give me more Miley in Smartie-Dress, that's as deep as musical culture should go. 

I think the topic goes way deeper than Apple Music vs. Google Play-Thingy.

Oh, and yes, Apple should fix the UI.

• Reply 47 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The number one single complaint I have with Apple Music is Apple's insistence on co-mingling purchased music with iCloud music in the same iTunes library. Until that's fixed, none of the other things matter.

The thing is, it was such a boneheaded design decision, and one that someone who was passionate about their music collection would never have made in the first place.

Together with the fact that you cannot keep your music local on your iDevice when you activate Music in the Cloud.

• Reply 48 of 81
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Nonsense. There is an even better and more free service called YouTube. All the music you like, and it is uber-free. 

Let me just check who owns it...wait....Darn. 

;-)

So, one more time: Yes, I know, people want to have all-yo-can-eat for FREE, online, offline, any line. What price? Please collect more of my data and sell it onward, I could not be happier. Free is the new Amendment to the Constitution. Adds? They do not count s price. And if I don't like it, I will find even freer music somewhere, just like good old Napster times. Who cares about artists anyway? Why they should earn money, when I can listen to it for FREE? Discovering new Artists, and giving them a platform for reaching a broader audience? Meh. Give me more Miley in Smartie-Dress, that's as deep as musical culture should go. 

I think the topic goes way deeper than Apple Music vs. Google Play-Thingy.

Oh, and yes, Apple should fix the UI.

Interestingly enough, Facebook is now the more popular choice for personal posting of videos than YouTube, although I favor YouTube as it has lots of tutorials for the various software applications that I use daily (SolidWorks, GibbsCAM, and Inventor HSM Pro).

• Reply 49 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

Using a command bar at the bottom is a good UI design practice for smaller apps, where the number of commands/features is limited to 5. Having multiple command bars in a single app, like in Apple Music, is a nightmare in terms of usability. As an end user you frequently hopping around to find the right button on the right command bar.  And because hopping around does not go that easy in a multi layered command bar structure, this approach fails.  Squeezing out the bugs of Apple Music won't help that much, the UI design will remain bad, especially for the iPhone. 

The approach of the Google is better and easier to use.  Remember, the app of AppleInsider also uses a hamburger menu

In particular, because the bars and UI elements are tiny compared to the rest of the screen estate. Too much crammed down there.

Example: How again do I get to the full album when playing all songs in random order? The tiny triangle on the top left? Ah, no pity. The ellipse on the bottom. Darn, Nope. Swiping? Hehe, not really. Ah, how could I have missed this intuitive way: Tap the triangle on the top, then the minuscule ellipse in the minuscule "player" above the tabs, and finally the shmall Album icon/current song info on the top of the pop-up menu. 

And why on earth do I have to activate "Show music available offline" to hide the offline music? and why put this option in this completely unintuitive place.

And it's more of such things.

• Reply 50 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Interestingly enough, Facebook is now the more popular choice for personal posting of videos than YouTube, although I favor YouTube as it has lots of tutorials for the various software applications that I use daily (SolidWorks, GibbsCAM, and Inventor HSM Pro).

I thought FB is slowly on decline, and Instagram is the new FB.

• Reply 51 of 81
    Quote:

I only saw that YouTube was declining relative to Facebook, but it may be that both are declining relative to Instagram.

• Reply 52 of 81
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    john.b wrote: »

I dunno. If the song is available to me why distinguish?

I always thought apple should pull the radio feature out and leave music and iTunes integrated
  • Reply 53 of 81
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmay View Post

I only saw that YouTube was declining relative to Facebook, but it may be that both are declining relative to Instagram.

FB's growth is declining, but it's still growing (it hit 1B users in one day for the first time, so it doesn't seem to be declining as a whole), but it may or may not be because of Instagram; every service eventually hits a quasi saturation point in a country. In the US, it's possible FB is slightly declining.

Instagram is probably just a lot farther from saturation than some others.

• Reply 54 of 81
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Instagram would need to be 8 times bigger I think to be FB... And by that time, people would be bored with it and moved on to the new new FB... That's the circle of life.  FB's doing pretty good actually this year; it's prospects are better than 2 years ago (when many were predicting doom and gloom).;

• Reply 55 of 81
    A true comparison would have been Spotify... I am an Apple fan but I am afraid they have made the UI too complicated. Spotify seems to have got it right IMHO. I have been using both for a few weeks now and I hope Apple learns some UI lessons from Spotify in future versions...
  • Reply 56 of 81
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    You're forgetting... YOU are not Google's customer, you are its product.

Google fattens you up and pokes you with a stick now and then, and all you can think of is, "Free food."
    I don't think you can get fat off music, and free music beats paid music from the consumers perspective, if all other things are effectively the same.
  • Reply 57 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

FB's growth is declining, but it's still growing (it hit 1B users in one day for the first time, so it doesn't seem to be declining as a whole), but it may or may not be because of Instagram; every service eventually hits a quasi saturation point in a country. In the US, it's possible FB is slightly declining.

Instagram is probably just a lot farther from saturation than some others.

Facebook owns Instagram don't they? Purchased them in 2012.

I was just referring to video uploads anyway.

• Reply 58 of 81
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    You're forgetting... YOU are not Google's customer, you are its product.

Google fattens you up and pokes you with a stick now and then, and all you can think of is, "Free food."

LMAO!!! Nice one.
  • Reply 59 of 81

I still pay for Google's, largely because it was first at the time, and I got in at the reduced $7.99 price. 

As has been called out, I do think it has a better UI and navigation, you basically get their iTunes match for free, and the music videos if that's your thing. The biggest thing for is definitely the web platform concept, and using a simple web interface on my laptop or any device I may choose without having to install anything (eg my work machine). That beats the boondoggle we all know iTunes has become. 

To Apple Music's credit, during the trial I have really used the Siri integration with my bluetooth headset a lot and it's quite convenient not having to mess with my 6+ to change music. Though I don't think that's worth the extra $2/month right now. I'll still keep iTunes match to supplement going forward though. 

• Reply 60 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    dugbug wrote: »
    I dunno. If the song is available to me why distinguish?

What happens the day my Apple Music subscription lapses? What am I left with if Apple Music in the cloud "matches"/overwrites my purchased music with DRM'ed tracks? I could theoretically re-download from the iTunes Store (and manually fix hundreds of playlists) but many tracks are no longer available to download. As just one example, any Zeppelin tracks bought before the recent 2014/2015 remasters are unavailable to download.

Again, not a big deal to transient listeners of subscription music, but a huge deal to those of us who have cultivated our music collections over literally decades. (And, yes, Steve was widely known to have been the latter.)