Latest Apple Music ads debut during MTV VMAs, feature The Weeknd & playlists

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Taking advantage of a traditionally large and young viewing audience, Apple during Sunday's MTV Video Music Awards debuted two Apple Music commercials featuring The Weeknd and a guest appearance by John Travolta.

Apple dedicated some of its VMA ad space to a two-part episodic narrative, both starring The Weeknd, touting the artist's music and shining a spotlight on Apple Music's user interface, namely playlist functions.

In the first minute-long spot we see The Weeknd exit stage right following a live performance and, grabbing the obligatory bottle of water, head straight out the backstage door to a waiting limo. After getting settled, he pulls out his iPhone -- apparently running iOS 8 and no third-party apps -- opens the Music app and taps over to Beats 1 radio.

Apple timed the commercial to run after The Weeknd's actual VMA performance, but you wouldn't know that unless you watched the show, so we get a brief expository voice over by DJ Zane Lowe. As Lowe puts on The Weeknd's hit "Can't Feel My Face," we cut to limo driver John Travolta asking, "Hey man, I'm driving, but where we going?" The afterparty, of course.

As promised, the second commercial picks up outside the afterparty, where we see The Weeknd exit Travolta's Uber and walk into a well-appointed flat slow-mo style. The fashionably late entrance is set to his latest track "The Hills." Once again the iPhone comes out, but this time the focus is on playlist creation, as The Weeknd deftly adds a number of songs to a list called "Late Night Party Vibes."

When he posts the playlist to Apple Music everyone in the party disappears and up comes two taglines, "It's all in your head" and "Create your own party." The commercial wraps up with information about monthly streaming rates and Apple Music's logo.

While today's Apple Music ads have yet to be posted to Apple's official online channels, a number of fans uploaded video captures to YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I can't remember the last time apple put a price in a commercial. Interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Commercials were a little weird but might have been The Weeknd's idea.

I think ?Music will do fine. I'm wondering if they should skip android all together now?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    cali wrote: »
    Commercials were a little weird but might have been The Weeknd's idea.

I think ?Music will do fine. I'm wondering if they should skip android all together now?

Apple marketing, and they let someone else take over? I don't think so.

Skip Android? Nope.

I'd go further and say they should do other Android apps as well. They should kill the FaceTime app and bundle FT functionality into Messages, heck, they're mostly there anyhow. And they need to tweak iMessage initial setup to be the same as WhatsApp where it's connected only to your cell number. Even for an iPad or Mac to set up iMessage you're asked for your mobile number and are texted a confirmation code to enter. We don't need iMessage connected to anything but phone numbers—that'd clean up some things.

And then release an Android version of that app.

I want to be able to iMessage and FaceTime and voice message or send a video to anyone on any device and any time. If Apple released iMessage on Android it'd be big news and pretty much every Android user would install it. If it was a well made Android app I could see iMessage becoming pretty much the defacto messaging platform for smartphones within 5 years. Besides, F*** Zuckerberg.

Here's the kicker: if every Android user installs iMessage it makes my life as an Apple devices user simpler. I get to use iMessage for ALL my short communication. Goodbye kik, goodbye Facebook messenger, goodbye WhatsApp, goodbye texts, goodbye Skype. If Apple is about simplifying and improving our lives, well, they know what to do.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    As the parent of a 16 year old learning to drive, I got uncomfortable when the limo driver (JT) turned around and talked to the passenger... as the car continued to roll forward. "Eyes on the road!", I wanted to yell. Oh I know: they were in the future self-driving Apple Car and JT was just decoration.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder if Tim Cook knows The Weeknd's "I can't feel my face" is about cocaine use? I'm assuming not since he felt it was appropriate for WWDC.

These ads were so not Apple like. It really makes me miss the awesome iTunes silhouette ads. What a great ad campaign. The opposite of Apple Music ads (so far). Has there ever been an Apple ad that showed a price at the very end of it?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder if Tim Cook knows The Weeknd's "I can't feel my face" is about cocaine use? I'm assuming not since he felt it was appropriate for WWDC.

Man, a stimulant that numbs your face... Not working correctly..... That sounds more like Heroin or some other narcotic.

For Cocaine that's usually only the case when used as a topical anasthetic;

are they applying it in a paste to their whole face in this urban legend about this song?

Pretty weak urban legend too since it didn't even make it to the song's wikipedia entry...

BTW, if its OK enough for that song to hit #1 on Billboard's chart (meaning it plays everywhere, on every radio and stream), I'm guessing it's mainstream enough for Apple.

Overstimulation of nerve endings leads to them not responding for a while, that's how those cocaine derived topical pain killers work.

If taken internally tough the effect is quite different... In this case, you'd get the total opposite of numbness, with over sensivity to stimulus.

• Reply 7 of 35
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I didn't like these videos at all.. I feel like they were specifically made for this occasion, and will never air again.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Man, a stimulant that numbs your face... Not working correctly..... That sounds more like Heroin or some other narcotic.

are they applying it in a paste to their whole face in this urban legend about this song?
    Pretty weak urban legend too since it didn't even make it to the song's wikipedia entry...

BTW, if its OK enough for that song to hit #1 on Billboard's chart (meaning it plays everywhere, on every radio and stream), I'm guessing it's mainstream enough for Apple.

Overstimulation of nerve endings leads to them not responding for a while, that's how those cocaine derived topical pain killers work.
    If taken internally tough the effect is quite different... In this case, you'd get the total opposite of numbness, with over sensivity to stimulus.

Um... have you ever experienced real cocaine? From your post, possibly your age and location... I don't think so.

FYI: you'd have to be at least in your teens or older before the mid-'80's or crack hit the streets... then you just might know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd go further and say they should do other Android apps as well. They should kill the FaceTime app and bundle FT functionality into Messages, heck, they're mostly there anyhow. And they need to tweak iMessage initial setup to be the same as WhatsApp where it's connected only to your cell number. Even for an iPad or Mac to set up iMessage you're asked for your mobile number and are texted a confirmation code to enter. We don't need iMessage connected to anything but phone numbers—that'd clean up some things.

That may work for you, but some of us prefer to keep our iMessage separate. For example, I don't need or want work messages showing up on my personal iPad. Therefore, I turn off the cell # as a point of contact for my iPad. Please don't presume to speak for everybody or their use cases.

• Reply 10 of 35
    I certainly wouldn't want my brand associated with that trash show last night.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

I can't remember the last time apple put a price in a commercial. Interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I certainly wouldn't want my brand associated with that trash show last night.

Steve is dead. Tim runs the show now. Apple has changed. Once the underdog supported by fanatical users Apple is now stands on top of the mountain. The only argument left is whether that change is good or bad. For oldies like me it’s a mixed bag. I used to get strange questions when people found out I used an Apple computer. Just a few years ago someone asked me if Apple was still in business. They did not connect the iPhone to the old company in their mind.

• Reply 12 of 35
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

As the parent of a 16 year old learning to drive, I got uncomfortable when the limo driver (JT) turned around and talked to the passenger... as the car continued to roll forward. "Eyes on the road!", I wanted to yell. Oh I know: they were in the future self-driving Apple Car and JT was just decoration.

Both ads are dream sequences. They don't have to be "correct."

• Reply 13 of 35
    queuequeue Posts: 28member
    FaceTime and iMessage are anchor features and I don't see them going over to Android. Some potential switchers are not switching because their friends and family are using FaceTime and iMessage. Apple Music on the other hand needs volume to propel market share just like why iTunes went over to Windows.
    Also if these are on Android, their security can be compromised.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple marketing, and they let someone else take over? I don't think so.

Skip Android? Nope.

And then release an Android version of that app.

I want to be able to iMessage and FaceTime and voice message or send a video to anyone on any device and any time. If Apple released iMessage on Android it'd be big news and pretty much every Android user would install it. If it was a well made Android app I could see iMessage becoming pretty much the defacto messaging platform for smartphones within 5 years. Besides, F*** Zuckerberg.

Here's the kicker: if every Android user installs iMessage it makes my life as an Apple devices user simpler. I get to use iMessage for ALL my short communication. Goodbye kik, goodbye Facebook messenger, goodbye WhatsApp, goodbye texts, goodbye Skype. If Apple is about simplifying and improving our lives, well, they know what to do.

FaceTime is so much better on iPhones than Android.  And it also works simultaneously on iPads and Macs.

I seriously doubt it will be removed by Apple.  FaceTime has already become a verb among iPhone users.  It is like announcing you are in an exclusive club.

If you want to FaceTime, get an iPhone, iPad or Mac.  Join the club.

Why should Apple let an Android user be able to iMessage or Facetime to Apple users?  After all, this doesn't sell more iPhones or Macs.

Apple Music - just like iTunes - is the gateway drug to the Apple Ecosystem.  Like Apple Music, then you can buy an iPhone and truly FaceTime and iMessage with others in the Apple ecosystem.

• Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

You miss the point.  The guy's face is numb because being with the girl is like getting high on cocaine.

• Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by queue View Post

FaceTime and iMessage are anchor features and I don't see them going over to Android. Some potential switchers are not switching because their friends and family are using FaceTime and iMessage. Apple Music on the other hand needs volume to propel market share just like why iTunes went over to Windows.

Also if these are on Android, their security can be compromised.

Yes.  When I tell people we can FaceTime but they then explain they have Android.  I tell them "Too Bad."

• Reply 17 of 35
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    That was a fascinating ad. I love that Apple is not afraid to go to places that aren't 100% cheerful happy people. In the original Apple Music ad, most of the people were going about their day, a few were jamming, and one teenage girl was crying. Now you've got the Weeknd, clearly high AF, clearly feeling dissociated from the rest of the world, going home and having a dance party where he watches everyone else have fun while he views them from a great distance. Then it's suggested that maybe the party never existed and he went home to a cold, lonely apartment. 

They manage to touch on emotions that aren't just HYPE YEAH WOO PARTY YEAH while still saying in a moderately safe place. Really impressive. 
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just a few years ago someone asked me if Apple was still in business. They did not connect the iPhone to the old company in their mind.

Heh heh. Apple Computer is not in business....

(Nice post).

• Reply 19 of 35
    John Travolta? Come on, Apple. A wooden Drake on stage is one thing, but giving this freak any association with you is just crazy. Who's in charge over there these days?
  • Reply 20 of 35

Has anyone else noticed how hard it is to build an Apple Music playlist with iTunes? It's terrible on the Mac, and it seems they just want you to build playlists with music you already own. I think a lot of people are going to be sticking with Spotify until they get this straightened out.  

Apple's straddling a sales model and a subscription model and it's ugly.

Netflix doesn't sell movies on a different screen, Spotify doesn't sell music on another screen. 

There needs to be an Apple Music subscription app that's cleaned up.

Right now it looks like they've hired Microsoft engineers to manage iTunes.