NFL Game Pass comes to Apple TV with updated app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
With the 2015 NFL campaign set to kick off, Apple on Monday pushed an update to the league's Apple TV app that adds access to live streaming via Game Pass alongside a new design.

With a Game Pass subscription, Apple TV owners can watch any out-of-market preseason game live. Regular season games will be available on demand the day after they air, and archival footage of games between 2009 and 2014 is available any time.

Game Pass subscribers outside of North America and the UK can also stream regular-season games live, along with the same on-demand privileges and video archive.

Interested Apple TV owners can subscribe to Game Pass on the set-top streamer via iTunes, or access subscriptions purchased through other venues. A $99.99 subscription will provide access until July 31 of next year.

The update come as Apple is expected to introduce a new, fourth-generation Apple TV at its Sept. 9 special event. AppleInsider will be on hand in San Francisco and will provide live coverage from the venue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Regular season games will be available on demand the day after they air..

I'll sell you yesterday's newspaper for a quarter of its price... will you buy, please... please...?

DOA.

• Reply 2 of 26
    mikrazmikraz Posts: 10member
    Nothing like watching Monday Night Football on Tuesday.. oh wait..
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I love the NFL, but I can't think of a single reason why I would want to watch a game the day after it aired and I likely already know the result.
  • Reply 4 of 26

I don't think I like football enough to pay what they're asking for Game Pass or Sunday Ticket ... oh wait, I can't actually get the online version of Sunday Ticket because I'm not a college student or in a city. Guess I'll just catch whatever I'm able via OTA HD antenna.

• Reply 5 of 26
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    This is such a genereous offer from the NFL, I think I will send them $99 for nothing. /s
  • Reply 6 of 26
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I realize it's still preseason, but this would've been nice to have a couple of weeks ago. NFL also needs to begin showing these games live. I'm happy to pay if that were an option. Side note, their changes to the NFL Mobile app make if incredibly hard to use
  • Reply 7 of 26

Agreed...another half-hearted step to try and "not" give the customer what they want! Ugh.

On a side note...I find watching the NFL painful. According to the over-the-top commentary, every player is the "best at his position" and brilliant and intelligent! Ugh. 

• Reply 8 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesehead Dave View Post

I love the NFL, but I can't think of a single reason why I would want to watch a game the day after it aired and I likely already know the result.

Not really Apple's problem.

• Reply 9 of 26
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    I don't understand why anyone would pay for this. There's literally zero benefit for the general consumer. Anyone who would need to access old games or possibly rewatch a game has free ways to do so.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

NFL fail.

• Reply 11 of 26

This is not entirely accurate. Games are available the same day at the conclusion of the last game of the day. Still not live, but way better than the following day.

• Reply 12 of 26
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member

This exemplifies the challenges launching a streaming service... entities are so tied to traditional distribution that they cannot do what is necessary to really revolutionize content viewing. Day-old live (that's an oxymoron) games should be free. Game Pass should be real time, but NFL cannot apparently negotiate this with existing network, cable and satellite rights...

• Reply 13 of 26

Not really Apple's problem.

Where did he say it was Apple's problem?
  • Reply 14 of 26
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

I want to watch my team, which is not in my market, so anything that gives me that option would be nice. Of course, if I was in market, I'd get to watch most of the games OTA, except for those locked into the NFL network and ESPN. It's interesting I haven't read anything about lawsuits against the NFL for locking broadcasting of many of their games onto their own network, which ends up costing you whether it's on cable or satellite. If NFL streaming (whatever they want to call it) would be available live for all in-season games no matter where you live and without a cable or satellite contract, then $100 for one year might be worth it (that's $8.33/month). Is this going to be on the new AppleTV lineup? (doubt it)

• Reply 15 of 26
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    A day late and $100 short. No thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    eightzero wrote: »
    NFL fail.
    no they don't. DTV has exclusive right to air the games live. NFL just want to make extra money.
  • Reply 17 of 26

NFL makes billions from cable and network tv deals why would they give it away for peanuts in an app.  This is for cheapskates.

• Reply 18 of 26
    Yes the problem is the exclusive contract between DirecTv and NFL. Which is good for 100 years ( don't really know time period but know it's a long time). :(
  • Reply 19 of 26
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would pay for this. There's literally zero benefit for the general consumer. Anyone who would need to access old games or possibly rewatch a game has free ways to do so.

Well from Germany, it's a great service. I get to watch any and all of the games either live... or yes throughout the week the others if I want to. What's truly great about that is you have 2 choices: 1) condensed without commercials; and 2) only the "downs" reel, which is basically Playbook style. Most games then only take about 40 - 80 minutes depending on your choice and of course the game.

The archive is also a great feature among other BHS, news, etc.

For an NFL fan* $99.00 is not too much IMHO.

*** I would spend double that for a comprehensive conference NCAA package!!!!

Edited to add: shoutout to Vikings, 49ers, Cowboys Cheerleaders and USC Trojan fans everywhere :D
  • Reply 20 of 26
    sog35 wrote: »
    An absolute rip off still.

Last year this was called NFL rewind and it was $30. They added a few crap features, changed the name and then tripled the price.

Maybe in America, but here in Europe it's been NFL GamePass with the same format I wrote in my above post for I believe the last 4 Seasons (possibly longer). Time flies ;)