One of Apple's first 'next-generation' US retail store designs will debut near Memphis

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
With Apple chief designer Jony Ive and retail head Angela Ahrendts collaborating on major changes to their company's retail experience, a first glimpse of what's to come may debut at a relocated Apple Store near Memphis, Tenn., it was revealed this week.

Apple's current Saddle Creek store in Germantown will move, if the project is approved.

Early plans for the new store, located to the east of Memphis, were approved by the local design review commission last week, according to the Memphis Daily News. In his presentation, Apple representative Rick Millitello called the project "the next generation of retail store that we're rolling out," saying it would be one of the first of its kind in the U.S.
Apple's current Germantown store was the 20th retail outlet ever opened by the company.
"We're really excited because this is going to be one of the first, if it's approved, that we build," he said. "So we're really excited to expand in Germantown and we're excited to see the result of all the work that we've put in to develop this system."

The current Germantown location is one of Apple's oldest retail stores. 512 Pixels, which was first to discover the report, noted that the Tennessee Apple Store at Saddle Creek was the 20th opened by the Mac maker overall.

Millitello described the new retail design as having"a matte granite reinforced panel on the exterior wall as well as natural oak tables inside," the Daily News said. The storefront is expected to have a changeable display with living plants, TV displays, artwork, and more. It will be located inside the same shopping center, at a new location.

Back in February, it was revealed that Ive and Ahrendts are working together on a complete overhaul of Apple's retail stores. The two apparently hope to utilize a different approach than the past, making the stores better suited for selling the fashionable Apple Watch.

Ive was recently named Apple's Chief Design Officer, a role which will see him relinquish day-to-day oversight of industrial design, allowing him to take on a wider array of projects. Among the tasks in which Ive will take on a greater role is the redesign of Apple's retail stores.

Subtle changes to Apple's retail experience have already begun to take effect. For example, in July Apple Stores began carrying products with new retail packaging with a "premium" feel co-designed by Apple itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    My first impression is that this a giant step backwards.
  • Reply 2 of 48

Agree this looks like something the Gap would build, mass market not upscale. Is Apple cutting corners on their retail stores? I understand every store cannot not look like one of the flagship stores but this design is uninspired. 

• Reply 3 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

Agree this looks like something the Gap would build, mass market not upscale. Is Apple cutting corners on their retail stores? I understand every store cannot not look like one of the flagship stores but this design is uninspired.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

The caption states that this is the current store which the article says is one of the oldest.

"Apple's current Saddle Creek store in Germantown will move, if the project is approved."

• Reply 4 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

My first impression is that you don't know what the hell your saying... I'm pretty much bang on, as usual!

This is the CURRENT STORE.... Good fracking grief. Yeah, Apple stores do look like the Gap....

Because that was a trendy esthetic a decade ago (or even more).

Now, they look like they got stuck in 2000 somehow.

I myself never found the Apple stores appealing, they look like some place you'd do arts and craft in, easy to clean up after the mess...

• Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:

Nope. It's a giant step forwards.

• Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus tree View Post

No it doesn't. It's quite inspired. Now Angela gets to really show her stuff.

• Reply 7 of 48

What a wise move it was over a decade ago for Apple to create its own retail stores!

It's proven to be a major boon to the company's bottom line, as well as the best possible way for non-Apple people to newly discover the company's products hands-on.

And now with continuing prosperity, they are free to enhance the retail experience to better present their new product.

Sheer genius.

• Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

the stores haven't been built yet.  

Seriously, I wonder if you even read the article or just looked at the picture of the legacy store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

My first impression is that you don't know what the hell your saying... I'm pretty much bang on, as usual!

This is the CURRENT STORE.... 

You have to admit, AI made a poor image choice to go along with the headline, because you would assume that the image is the new store.  A good editor wouldn't let that happen.  Yes, I understand that the caption explains that this is the current store, but still...

• Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

This is the CURRENT STORE.... Good fracking grief. Yeah, Apple stores do look like the Gap....

Because that was a trendy esthetic a decade ago (or even more).

Now, they look like they got stuck in 2000 somehow.

I myself never found the Apple stores appealing, they look like some place you'd do arts and craft in, easy to clean up after the mess...

The stores are meant to merely complement the main part of the composition: Apple products. They're meant to be the simple framework, not to draw attention to themselves.

• Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

You have to admit, AI made a poor image choice to go along with the headline, because you would assume that the image is the new store.  A good editor wouldn't let that happen.  Yes, I understand that the caption explains that this is the current store, but still...

And what if they didn't have any renderings of the new design, which may very well be still under wraps? You people are something else.

• Reply 11 of 48

The current interior design is simple and elegant IMO but is being copied too much, making it look dated. See the Microsoft store below.

This article doesn't reveal details of the new interior design (other than catering for displaying the Watch), so how can you form an impression of it? :\ 

• Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

And what if they didn't have any renderings of the new design, which may very well be still under wraps? You people are something else.

You people???  You have got to be kidding!  If Apple even came close to doing something like this in their UI, you people would be all over it!

• Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

What image would you prefer for a design that has not yet been revealed? Another, completely unrelated retail location?

• Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nhughes View Post

What image would you prefer for a design that has not yet been revealed? Another, completely unrelated retail location?

Do you disagree that the image is misleading?

• Reply 15 of 48
    Come on guys the store pictured above is the existing store. Would have been nice for AI to hold until they had a concept drawing of the new design...
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

misleading for people who can't read

sog35, you are the ad hominem king!  

• Reply 17 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    chadmatic wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

misleading for people who can't read

sog35, you are the ad hominem king!  

He just got back from being banned.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Do you disagree that the image is misleading?

Considering there is a caption DIRECTLY UNDER IT that clearly says it's the current store, I do not think it's misleading at all.

• Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nhughes View Post

Considering there is a caption DIRECTLY UNDER IT that clearly says it's the current store, I do not think it's misleading at all.

Considering there is an image of the old store UNDER the headline that reads "NEXT GENERATION" STORE, I think it is misleading.

• Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:

Considering there is an image of the old store UNDER the headline that reads "NEXT GENERATION" STORE, I think it is misleading.

I mean, we are not a picture book. Dunno what to tell you. The picture is relevant, the headline is accurate.