Amazon Prime Video adds offline viewing in iOS update

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Amazon has raised the bar for functionality in its streaming video race against Netflix, giving iOS users the ability to download movies and television shows to their devices for offline viewing on their iPhone or iPad.

The e-commerce giant announced the move on Monday, and Prime members in the U.S., UK, Germany and Austria will be the first to benefit. Not all content is eligible for offline access, but there will be no extra charge for the privilege.

Eligible titles include Amazon's original series Transparent, major network shows like 24 and Downton Abbey, and movies such as Anchorman 2 and Star Trek Into Darkness. Some older HBO series are also available, including Entourage and The Wire.

"There's no doubt that the way people watch entertainment is changing--anytime, anywhere viewing is important and we are excited to provide our Prime members with offline viewing capabilities on iOS and Android platforms starting today," Amazon digital video chief Michael Paull said in a release. "We are proud to be the first and only online subscription streaming service that enables offline viewing--on vacation, in a car, at the beach, on a plane, wherever our Prime members want to watch they can, regardless of internet connection."

Offline access is included in version 3.2 of the Amazon Video app, which is available now as a free, 34.3-megabyte download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I guess their app won't allow streaming to an AppleTV. Gives Amazon a way to grab travelers though?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    This is great. Makes it even more interesting what Apple will offer next week.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    holy crap this is huge. will totally do this when traveling.
  • Reply 4 of 30

I must be completely insane because I could have sworn this feature had existed for quite some time already.

• Reply 5 of 30
    ... but the update is not yet visible ...
  • Reply 6 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

This is very cool. I sometimes like to watch a TV episode while I'm eating lunch. My employer blocks all these sites on the network, so I always had to use data. Now I can load 'em up at home.

• Reply 7 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

... but the update is not yet visible ...

Mine showed up this morning.

• Reply 8 of 30
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Apple certainly has got a lot of catching up to do …

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

• Reply 9 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

nice feature

Guess I can leave my Kindle Fire behind...that was the main function having the ability to download things for offline viewing.

• Reply 10 of 30
    Now we need it on appletv so I can ditch the roku
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mike1 wrote: »
    Mine showed up this morning.

Bummer. Maybe it's because I'm in the UK store.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

I must be completely insane because I could have sworn this feature had existed for quite some time already.

You could download videos for content you purchased and, I think, rent. However the feature wasn't allowed for Prime Video streaming.

-kpluck

• Reply 13 of 30
    macapfel wrote: »
    Bummer. Maybe it's because I'm in the UK store.

Finally got it!
  • Reply 14 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Realistically, when is this useful? I don't want to deal with downloading content. Its 2015, and streaming is king.

Getting on airplane? Ok fine. But WiFi is becoming more popular on airlines, and eventually will be everywhere. Truthfully, this isn't the stand-out feature it would have been in 2010.

• Reply 15 of 30
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Realistically, when is this useful? I don't want to deal with downloading content. Its 2015, and streaming is king.

Getting on airplane? Ok fine. But WiFi is becoming more popular on airlines, and eventually will be everywhere. Truthfully, this isn't the stand-out feature it would have been in 2010.

I have no broadband available at my house...

• Reply 16 of 30
    pmz wrote: »

We will love this for long car rides across WY, where major carriers don't have LTE coverage. In addition, we have the lowest data plan possible, so we don't usually stream videos in the car.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    pmz wrote: »

For me it's going to be very useful on train trips to my head office or trips over to the European mainland. It will save my data plan getting hammered and for many families would help stop any fear of the dreaded £5000 bill because one of the kids downloaded an episode.
    Streaming is only king when the connection is fast enough and your data plan can cope.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I love how Amazon is innovating here. I have no problem paying for Prime each year and Amazon keeps upping their game with regard to value added.

We often drive out to Lake Havasu from the Inland Empire and no matter the carrier, in the middle of the desert, there is no data at all. We've traveled with people who have Verizon, AT&T and T-mobile. You are not streaming anything across there. Also when out on such trips, we enjoy our data and even tethering with devices but I draw the limit at video streaming because it eats through our data plan too fast. Letting the wife or kids download several episodes of a show that expire in a week or two is great.

• Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

lots of people in us can't stream when traveling even by car - thanks to small GB limits on cellular. Even in eastern USA - streaming video when moving in a car is subject to annoying dropouts from time to time. Its high time all streamers ( Amazon / Netflix) allowed some amount of downloading, even if its limited to a few hours total content, and even though downloaded is only available for say 24 hours.

• Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

My parents have the lowest tier DSL service so when I visit them, it's nice to have some movies I want to see. There are tons of use cases for this.