Google promises to dramatically shrink 4K bandwidth with upcoming VP10 video codec

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    ksec wrote: »
    And they are planning on 8K for Olympics 2020.

Is 8K intended for home viewers or specialized cameras recording for specialized Jumbotron-like display?
  • Reply 62 of 95
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    larrya wrote: »

Aren't you clever, limiting the time frame to 10 years?  Most of us are more than 10 years old.  Are you?

Betamax
    Digital Audio Tape
    Minidisc
    ATRAC compression
    Memorystick
    Universal Media Disc

http://www.fastcompany.com/1290466/sonys-long-list-format-failure-betamax-memorystick-micro

10 years is a very long time in technology, I limited it for that reason, I'm, sorry, I only started using computers in 81, you are so much more wise than me,

All the items you list are from over 10 years ago, and some very very successful, and were licensed for use by other companies.

But, are you ok with Apple and their propriety interfaces (the 30 pin connector, the lightning connector), their propriety audio formats, video formats, DRM formats, or is it ok when Apple creates propriety formats?
  • Reply 63 of 95
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Well, aren't we a freek, charts like those are for normal average vision. I'm really tired of anecdote being used a justification BTW.

It's used by climated deniers and basically every science basher around.

And yet my vision is normal. Thanks for the insults, though.

• Reply 64 of 95
    You're out by a factor of 10. 1080p has 2.1M pixels, not 21M.
    mstone wrote: »
    The motion has something to do with it. 24-bit color is 16 million something different colors but a 1080 video has almost 21 million pixels. Since there are more pixels than palette there is going to be interpolation and with moving images that can result in neighboring pixels shifting around a bit because each frame is being interpolated slightly differently.

Edit: There are professional displays that have 30-bit so that would several million more colors.
  • Reply 65 of 95
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yet my vision is normal. Thanks for the insults, though.

Well you're vision isn't "normal" (In the sense it's used in this case, check it out),, cause that's not possible.

I'm ignoring you from now on, so go tell your delusion on the mountain...

• Reply 66 of 95
    So Google’s the new Sony, refusing to use actual standards and just making their own incompatible garbage. I hate WebM and I hate the fact that they don’t encode YouTube higher than 720 MP4 anymore.
    Yeah Sony dug their grave by doing stuff like that a long time ago. I would never buy any of their products again.
  • Reply 67 of 95
    subbies wrote: »
    Yeah Sony dug their grave by doing stuff like that a long time ago. I would never buy any of their products again.

I'd say those are very different situations. First of all, Sony mostly seemed to focus on making new connector types, which is fine if you need something that isn't available already (like Apple's 30-pin connector), but they should have kept the same ones for a long time (like Apple's 30-pin connector), not had what seemed to be a half dozen new ones per year for the same device category. I don't see Google doing anything like with HW which is more of an issue with SW. Second, even when Sony did do that with non-HW standards didn't they also want heavy licensing fees or offer no licensing fees at all to lock out the completion, and isn't Google giving their VP codecs away for free?
  • Reply 68 of 95
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'd say those are very different situations. First of all, Sony mostly seemed to focus on making new connector types, which is fine if you need something that isn't available already (like Apple's 30-pin connector), but they should have kept the same ones for a long time (like Apple's 30-pin connector), not had what seemed to be a half dozen new ones per year for the same device category. I don't see Google doing anything like with HW which is more of an issue with SW. Second, even when Sony did do that with non-HW standards didn't they also want heavy licensing fees or offer no licensing fees at all to lock out the completion, and isn't Google giving their VP codecs away for free?

What new connector types is Sony using? The only one I can think of is the Vita. All their other devices use standard USB
  • Reply 69 of 95

Apple was doing the same thing "a long time ago", so you don't buy any of their products either?
  • Reply 70 of 95
    jfanning wrote: »
    What new connector types is Sony using? The only one I can think of is the Vita. All their other devices use standard USB

Not is using, but were using when they were at the top. Note [@]Subbies[/@] use of "doing stuff like that a long time ago."
  • Reply 71 of 95
    I was focusing more on their TV and DVD efforts. Such as if I put a movie on a usb and it's not their compression standard it won't work. Their menus and options are horrible also.
  • Reply 72 of 95
    Apple was doing the same thing "a long time ago", so you don't buy any of their products either?
    By doing that Sony put themselves behind the game. Apple on the other hand has been able to implement their standards to a excepting large audience.
  • Reply 73 of 95
    By doing that Sony put themselves behind the game. Apple on the other hand has been able to implement their standards to a excepting large audience.

Not with the time he's talking about: Apple's "'dark years" while Steve Jobs was not at Apple.

One popular example is FireWire which struggled and then died because of relatively high HW and licensing costs that USB didn't have. Since Apple initiated its development in 1986 and the IEEE 1394 standard is commonly referred to* by Apple's trademark, FireWire, Apple then gets all the blame for borking FireWire. The fact is there were many international companies and patents involved with the licensing, but it wasn't the per-device licensing fees that held it back; it was the cost of the HW, which is inherently difference from USB. Let's also remember that Apple was the first major "PC" maker to go all-in with USB, which they did while still supporting FireWire due to FW's considerably faster speeds.

* I think it's possible more peripherals used Sony's implementation of IEEE 1394 called i.LINK, then used FireWire.
  • Reply 74 of 95
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Flash is just part of the CC package. I find it to be the absolute fastest and easiest HTML 5 authoring application out there. Adobe certainly hasn't given up on Flash as an authoring platform. There is an impressive list of new features released in CC compared to version CS6 including WebGL support and 64-bit iOS export. In fact they just rewrote the entire format from the ground up for AS 3 with XML based FLA files.

I was aware of the HTML5 output. I wasn't referring to the software package as much as the content people think of as flash, eg anything that still plays in a shockwave player. I did not know about those new features. They're quite interesting. I thought Adobe would just leave it in maintenance mode as part of CC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Let's also remember that Apple was the first major "PC" maker to go all-in with USB, which they did while still supporting FireWire due to FW's considerably faster speeds.

* I think it's possible more peripherals used Sony's implementation of IEEE 1394 called i.LINK, then used FireWire.

Firewire had faster and more uniform speeds, better stability, and it imposed a lower cpu overhead.

• Reply 75 of 95

What?

As I said, Sony has one device I can think of with a propriety port, Apple on the other hand has many. Yet you still claim Sony has the issue?
  • Reply 76 of 95
    What?

As I said, Sony has one device I can think of with a propriety port, Apple on the other hand has many. Yet you still claim Sony has the issue?

What, indeed? You're claiming Sony over has only ever had one device and one proprietary port for his comment that specifically references "a long time ago."
  • Reply 77 of 95
    What, indeed? You're claiming Sony over has only ever had one device and one proprietary port for his comment that specifically references "a long time ago."

In the last ten years I can think of one Sony product with a propriety connector. What is so hard to understand about that.
  • Reply 78 of 95
    **** off, wow what a come back, dick head

I said, and you still can't read or comprehend by the looks of things. In the last ten years I can think of one Sony product with a propriety connector. What is so fucking hard to understand about that. If you are so fucking bright and knowledgeable name another one, If you can, good one you. If you can't, stop fucking claiming Sony pushes propriety connectors.

1) So your strike definition of "a long time ago" is less than 10 years? Got it¡

2) I also clearly stated Sony has stuff going heavily into proprietary to force out competitors and lock in customers since they fell from the top.

3) The number of anything you can name has no barring on actual numbers.

4) I've already named another one, not to mention the other mentions of proprietary non-HW aspects mentioned by [@]Subbies[/@].
  • Reply 79 of 95
    1) So your strike definition of "a long time ago" is less than 10 years? Got it¡

2) I also clearly stated Sony has stuff going heavily into proprietary to force out competitors and lock in customers since they fell from the top.

3) The number of anything you can name has no barring on actual numbers.

4) I've already named another one, not to mention the other mentions of proprietary non-HW aspects mentioned by [@]Subbies[/@].

Fine make it 20 or 30 years if that will make you happy. What did Sony do that Apple hasn't done and is still doing?
  • Reply 80 of 95
    Fine make it 20 or 30 years if that will make you happy. What did Sony do that Apple hasn't done and is still doing?

1) Why the **** can't you read carefully? Once! Just fucking once!

2) No one said that Apple doesn't use anything proprietary. I even made a very clear comment about why FW failed.

3) No one said all things proprietary are bad. Are you claiming proprietary HW and SW is wrong? I thin Apple's A-series chips are great. And the 30-pinc connector was needed because there was no other option available (which you won't acknowledge). The Lightning connector was needed because there was no other option available (which you'll say that micro-USB is the same, but it's not even close). I've even stated I could see Apple adopt USB-C before they released their MacBook, and I also stated that I could see Apple use USB-C in their iDevices assuming the increased thickness of the USB-C connector wasn't too much for their future plans.

So where exactly are trying to pull your ridiculous argument from?

(all questions are rhetorical as I already know the answers)