Next-gen Apple TV priced at $149, will include universal search for finding content across providers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Finding content will be easier than ever with the next-generation Apple TV, a new report has revealed, as Apple will include universal search in its revamped set-top box, said to be priced starting at $149.

Details on the new Apple TV, expected to be revealed next week, were shared on Wednesday by John Paczkowski of Buzzfeed. According to his sources, the new Apple TV will boast universal search, allowing users to enter the name of a program and find out where they can watch it, from a number of providers like Netflix and iTunes.

"Universal search will dramatically improve the Apple TV experience," Paczkowski wrote, calling its inclusion a "big deal."

Wednesday's report also revealed that the device will start at $149, which would be a jump up from the $99 price the second- and third-generation Apple TV units started at. The third-gen Apple TV currently sells for $69, after a price cut in March.

However, it's also half the price of the first-generation Apple TV, released early 2007 -- before the first iPhone -- for $299.

Search on the new Apple TV is expected to tie into the new Siri functionality of the device. Apple's own invitation to next week's event includes the tagline "Hey Siri, give us a hint," which is likely a reference to voice input on the revised set-top box.

In addition to searching for specific names of programs, users will also reportedly be able to find content based on the names of actors or directors.

The microphone for Siri is expected to be a part of a revamped controller also rumored to include a touchpad and gyroscopes for alternative input methods. The new Apple TV is also expected to include an App Store, allowing users to add their own content sources, and potentially other forms of entertainment such as games.

The apparent ability of Siri to tap into third-party content and apps on the upcoming Apple TV would be a major enhancement for Apple's voice-controlled personal assistant. While Siri on iOS can currently deliver information from a variety of sources across the Web, there is no Siri API allowing developers to provide their own information to the service.

Not expected to be a part of next week's launch, however, is an anticipated subscription streaming television service from Apple. Reports have alleged that Apple has hit snags in negotiations with content providers, pushing the service back to a likely 2016 launch.

It is believed that the main sticking point between Apple and content providers is pricing, as Apple apparently wishes to price its service at $40 or lower.

Apple's media briefing will be held next Wednesday, Sept. 9, at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern in San Francisco, where it is also expected to unveil its next-generation "iPhone 6s." AppleInsider will be in attendance with full, live coverage of the announcements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    How is a rumour "breaking"? I thought it was an announcement but its yet another rumour and not even a new one.
  • Reply 2 of 135
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Hey. That was my idea.
  • Reply 3 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Is Buzzfeed the official Apple news outlet now?

• Reply 4 of 135
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

So AI is quoting Buzzfeed now?

• Reply 5 of 135
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Roku has universal search so they're not really breaking new ground here.
  • Reply 6 of 135
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Glad to hear $149. I hope that turns out to be true. I think Apple will get a lot more people to upgrade and a lot more first time buyers at $149. The only thing I'm still a little skeptical on is the major Siri integration. One, if Siri plays a major role I hope Apple has nailed the integration. It better be super fast and accurate. Two, I'm still a bit skeptical people want to control their TV primarily by voice control. So I hope there are other ways to search besides Siri. One thing that would be really great is only having to enter your cable/satellite credentials once and they pass through to all the apps that require them.
  • Reply 7 of 135
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think cross vendor search will *necessarily* be a big deal, it depends on how people use their Apple TV.

If they use it like YouTube where you sit down and watch lots of little 3 minute videos, browsing and searching, then it could be a big deal. But if it's like traditional TV where you have your 5 favorite shows, and you watch the same shows every week, then you'll only use search once during device setup, and it won't really matter if it's awesome or just barely adequate.

For renting movies it could be good though, might create price competition. Does Apple maintain the index themselves (one big database) or do they farm your queries out to the APIs of many different vendors? If the later, how is that for privacy?
  • Reply 8 of 135
    mstone wrote: »
    Is Buzzfeed the official Apple news outlet now?

Seems like John Paczkowski is. I'd put him right up there with Mark Gurman, though Apple doesn't intentionally leak stuff to him. Its possible they do with Paczkowski.
  • Reply 9 of 135
    People, John Paczkowski of Buzzfeed used to write for the Wall Street Journal Digital. And he is a very reliable source. I have no idea why he went to Buzzfeed, but it may have to do with dollars.
  • Reply 10 of 135
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Glad to hear $149. I hope that turns out to be true. I think Apple will get a lot more people to upgrade and a lot more first time buyers at $149. The only thing I'm still a little skeptical on is the major Siri integration. One, if Siri plays a major role I hope Apple has nailed the integration. It better be super fast and accurate. Two, I'm still a bit skeptical people want to control their TV primarily by voice control. So I hope there are other ways to search besides Siri. One thing that would be really great is only having to enter your cable/satellite credentials once and they pass through to all the apps that require them.

Betting $149 is for either 8 or 16 GB.. to get more space for App's they will likely have at least one larger, 64 GB model, and possibly a 128 GB model later at $199 and $249 price points.

• Reply 11 of 135
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Will existing hardware be updated with new software?
  • Reply 12 of 135
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Disappointing.  Hope this is false.

$149 price means this won't be big jump from the original AppleTV.  Probabily won't have much more than 32GB onboard storage.

Looks like any DVR function will need to use iCloud.  Crap.

I was hoping for $199 for 64GB model and $299 for 256GB.

I'm curious as to what DVR function were you expecting?  As long as iTunes is around I see no cable tuner or DVR functionality ever coming to the AppleTV. 

• Reply 13 of 135
    takemymoney.gif
  • Reply 14 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Will existing hardware be updated with new software?

It might get some of the streaming but I doubt that the ATV 3 will get the App store or Siri.. just not enough space, memory or horsepower - The CPU is a single core A5, w/256mb memory, which for todays games, frankly sucks.. 

• Reply 15 of 135
    Some stupidity in this thread.

No, there will not be any DVR function.

And $149 is not good when you consider that (unless there are games and browsing apps, etc.) it will be the exact same content as the box that currently costs $79. Hopefully that rumor is false.
  • Reply 16 of 135
    tonton wrote: »
    Some stupidity in this thread.

No, there will not be any DVR function.

And $149 is not good when you consider that (unless there are games and browsing apps, etc.) it will be the exact same content as the box that currently costs $79. Hopefully that rumor is false.

I'm not sure if you've kept up on all the rumors but this new device supposedly will have an SDK and App Store. It's not just the existing box with a new chip.
  • Reply 17 of 135
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Disappointing.  Hope this is false.

$149 price means this won't be big jump from the original AppleTV.  Probabily won't have much more than 32GB onboard storage.

Looks like any DVR function will need to use iCloud.  Crap.

I was hoping for $199 for 64GB model and $299 for 256GB.

I too was hoping for a higher price point to ensure this is the best over the top TV box out there but I don't think hard drives will play any role in a product like this. Apple is getting away from large storage unless it's iCloud. And besides, what would you need a DVR for except maybe for live TV? The whole idea of universal search for any program assumes Apple will have access to any program either through an app, network stream or some kind of re-broadcast arrangement with networks. All programming streaming from iCloud should have full DVR-like functionality and it won't even require commercial skips.

• Reply 18 of 135
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Meh. The box needs an upgrade for a lot of reasons, but this kind of update was due long ago.

Content, content, content.

• Reply 19 of 135
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

You are right.  There really is no need to have local stored DVR.

But I'd like to store movies, music, photos, and videos locally on the AppleTV.  Sort of like a home server for tech dummies.

Hopefully they sell different memory sizes

$149 - 16GB

$249 - 64GB

$349 - 256GB

Sounds like you need a MacMini and Plex. 

• Reply 20 of 135
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

You are right.  There really is no need to have local stored DVR.

But I'd like to store movies, music, photos, and videos locally on the AppleTV.  Sort of like a home server for tech dummies.

Hopefully they sell different memory sizes

$149 - 16GB

$249 - 64GB

$349 - 256GB

I think you're missing the whole iCloud thing. They did away with local storage on ATV 4 years ago. Why would they bring it back when iCloud has only grown larger and faster since then? All content except for apps will be streaming on this new ATV.