Documents reveal Apple's secretive next-generation retail store design [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32

Wow, that escalated quickly.  So to use your logic, if I find something harmful does that make me a harmful person?  It doesn't work like that.  If someone finds something offensive, racist, delightful...whatever...that doesn't mean they posses those qualities themselves.

Apple's retail stores seek to impress customers by affecting a heightened sense of importance over other stores where you can buy the same exact products, which is by definition pretentious.  Are Prada stores more pretentious than a Nordstrom's? Absolutely.  Luxury retail is about as pretentious as it gets, and all I was saying was that I like Apple's products but I don't like their retail experience.  They feel like museums rather than stores and everything seems rather unattainable, yet I obviously have the money to buy their products.

• Reply 22 of 32
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

Wow, that escalated quickly.  So to use your logic, if I find something harmful does that make me a harmful person?  It doesn't work like that.  If someone finds something offensive, racist, delightful...whatever...that doesn't mean they posses those qualities themselves.

Apple's retail stores seek to impress customers by affecting a heightened sense of importance over other stores where you can buy the same exact products, which is by definition pretentious.  Are Prada stores more pretentious than a Nordstrom's? Absolutely.  Luxury retail is about as pretentious as it gets, and all I was saying was that I like Apple's products but I don't like their retail experience.  They feel like museums rather than stores and everything seems rather unattainable, yet I obviously have the money to buy their products.

I find the Apple retail stores I've been in are very nice, with very helpful staff.

However none of these stores had me on display to the whole outside world.  I'm not for sale !   :mad:

• Reply 23 of 32
    The Upper west side store in NYC was built from the ground up not like other locations that used existing buildings. the inside of all Apple stores are take from the Gap a table with product on it. can't get any simpler than that.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    As long as it can keep the bums out... (interpret that however you like)
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Am I still allowed to be a fan of Apple if I buy their products at Best Buy and Amazon because I find their retail stores pretentious?

Nope. Not a chance.

• Reply 26 of 32
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Sounds like you didn't read your own OP.

"if I buy their products"

"Apple's retail stores seek to impress customers by affecting a heightened sense of importance over other stores"

No. That's you.

It's called projection.

• Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

You're looking at attitude and opinion, nothing more. Just change them and you'll be happier.

• Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Sounds like you didn't read your own OP.

"if I buy their products"

"Apple's retail stores seek to impress customers by affecting a heightened sense of importance over other stores"

No. That's you.

It's called projection.

What is your effing problem dude?  I don't like Apple stores, but I like Apple stuff.  I own a ton of Apple things, I even bought a Newton back in the day.  Since when do I have to like every single thing a company does?  Is there a pledge of allegiance I have to recite to Apple or something?  You'd probably really like it if I were a "fandroid" or whatever, but I'm not here to hate on Apple and I use an iPhone, iPad, iMac, Apple TV, yada yada yada.  My first Mac was the familly Quadra 650, so if you measure the quality of someone's opinion based on how loyal a consumer they are my opinion is very valid by that flawed measure.  In my very first post to this thread I even stated that I BUY APPLE PRODUCTS.  My opinion is that Apple stores are more for pretentious luxury goods types than for geeks.  Are we geeks on here?  Well, this is a tech forum, so yes.  I'd rather talk about tech stuff than the new BMWs, but apparently Apple is gravitating away from geeks.  This may sound pretentious (LOL!!) but buying Apple products does not make you wealthy or refined.  

• Reply 29 of 32
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Doesn't seem all that different from current Apple store designs.

• Reply 30 of 32
    dtrace wrote: »
    Am I still allowed to be a fan of Apple if I buy their products at Best Buy and Amazon because I find their retail stores pretentious?

only if you can explain why.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

only if you can explain why.

I'm guessing not everyone appreciates a group of chirppy androgynous 20-somethings?

• Reply 32 of 32
    That picture looks almost exactly like the Palo Alto store