Motorola debuts second-gen Moto 360 smartwatch, first-gen Moto 360 Sport

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Motorola on Wednesday introduced two new versions of its Moto 360 smartwatch, including a second-generation flagship device and separate edition specifically for fitness, the Moto 360 Sport.

Unlike its predecessor, the updated flagship 360 will come in two different sizes, 42 and 46 millimeters. The first has a 1.37-inch, 360-by-325-pixel display, while the second scales to 1.56 inches and 360-by-330 pixels. Both Watches are equipped with 1.2-gigahertz quad-core processors, 512 megabytes of RAM, and 4 gigabytes of onboard storage.

The 42-millimeter model should last up to one and a half days on a single charge, while the 46-millimeter one can last up to two days.

Image Credit: Engadget
Image Credit: Engadget

The watch is also launching with a wide variety of case, bezel, and band options for men and women. Men's cases are available in silver, black, or gold, for instance, with chamfered or "micro-knurl" bezels, and bands in one of three metal colors or two leather ones.

Though still based on Google's Android Wear -- which now has limited iPhone compatibility -- one unique Motorola software feature is "Live Dial" faces, allowing people to open apps or use their features without scrolling through menus.

The new Moto 360 should ship later in September, starting at a cost of $299, and can be preordered today.

Still partly shrouded in secrecy is the Moto 360 Sport. The device uses a 42-millimeter display, but features silicone exterior materials in order to make it more resilient against heat and sweat. It also has built-in GPS for tracking running and walking without a smartphone.

New screen illumination technology dubbed AnyLight should make the device easier to use outdoors. Although in many cases the watch relies on regular LCD backlighting, under intense conditions, the Sport can automatically flip to natural front lighting to make text more legible.

Pricing and a release date for the Sport have yet to be announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 278
    Who in their right mind refers to a "flagship" watch? :lol:

"Flagship" is the new "bespoke"
  • Reply 2 of 278
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Still no NFC and still has the flat tire. No thanks. All these android wear watches now look alike and share the same software/ecosystem. Why would I buy a Moto over a Huawei or LG and vice versa? IMO Apple was smart going square as ?Watch is now unique in a sea of traditional watch copycats.
  • Reply 3 of 278
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    You'd think they'd actually do something about the "flat tyre" appearance of the screen. H[iding it from the marketing materials doesn't actually solve it. What's the point of a round screen when you can't actually show a circular watch face without having part of it cut off?
  • Reply 4 of 278
    It looks nice! I like the thin bezels it has.
  • Reply 5 of 278

Quad core processor in a watch? Once again proving that Android devices are all about the spec race.

• Reply 6 of 278
    I'm just waiting for the "but but but this Rolex works at the bottom of the ocean" crowd to suddenly change their tune and gush about quad-core CPUs and 46mm displays and beautiful bands. Because Android. ;)
  • Reply 7 of 278
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Still no NFC and still has the flat tire. No thanks. All these android wear watches now look alike and share the same software/ecosystem. Why would I buy a Moto over a Huawei or LG and vice versa? IMO Apple was smart going square as ?Watch is now unique in a sea of traditional watch copycats.

I don't know about that. I think it looks quite nice. Too thick, but overall a good effort. Round face is timeless. The Apple Watch's rounded corner chicklet form factor already feels dated to me. That said, I'm still not seeing anything in the smart watch space that compels me to buy.

And who is Motorola copying? I mean, they did have a smart watch on the market long before Apple...
  • Reply 8 of 278
    rogifan wrote: »

They hide the flat tire extremely well in those deliberate product shots.
  • Reply 9 of 278
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    2 screen sizes
    3 models
    interchangable bands

Seriously.  Can these guys not make their own material?  Pathetic.

Like Apple invented that.
  • Reply 10 of 278
    Stop referring to them as Motorola. It is Lenovo. Please continue to release different kind of watches so I can pat myself to congratulate that I made a good decision buying an Apple Watch.????????
  • Reply 11 of 278
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

I don't know about that. I think it looks quite nice. Too thick, but overall a good effort. Round face is timeless. The Apple Watch's rounded corner chicklet form factor already feels dated to me. That said, I'm still not seeing anything in the smart watch space that compels me to buy.

And who is Motorola copying? I mean, they did have a smart watch on the market long before Apple...

Loving your round computer screen? TV?

Timeless indeed.

• Reply 12 of 278
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Here is what I notice with the 360 I played with at Bestbuy, the watch was extremely warm when on the charging stand. The reason this is an issue is the fact heat is bad for the battery which means they the battery will degrade over time. Android and Motorola have not fixed their issue of running to hot especially when the units are charging. Even when the Apple watch is charging it hardly gets warm, and once it fully charge and still connected to the charge the watch is not even warm to the touch.

I think anyone who buys the Motorola Watch will find their battery dying in a year time. Also you now have to have two version if you happen to be a person who is active. I wear my Apple Watch when I am dressed up as well as when i go to the gym. the watch fits in both places.

• Reply 13 of 278
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Round face is timeless.

..for a watch.

These aren't watches anymore than an iPhone is a "phone". Round works well for a device that's mainly a circular dial - that's why most watches are round.

There's a reason almost all content is presented in a rectangular layout... It's more efficient use of two-dimensional space.

Yes, round watches look nicer, because thats what we're used to seeing... But functionality wise, it's a horrible form factor.

• Reply 14 of 278
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Timeless indeed.

Seriously, that's your defense? Two objects that came into existence long after round watches? Doesn't that reinforce the timelessness of the round watch face and the utter soullessness of an Apple Watch, which, incidentally matches the shape of the front of a CRT? How modern!
  • Reply 15 of 278
    So all previous makers of smart watches gripe around in the dark pushing their lackluster products into the market, one after the others hen, Apple comes along, and suddenly gold and sports editions pop up all around, as well interchangeable bands, multie sizes.

Ain't it cool? This really made me smile.
  • Reply 16 of 278
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Timeless indeed.

Were you trying to make a point?  If so, try a little harder next time.  There's no connection between computer and TV screen shape and watch shape.  That's just silly.  The vast majority of watches and clocks have been round for...forever.  The square shape has been tried many times by many watch makers and while square watches are available on the market, they aren't particularly popular.  How often do you see a square watch on someone's wrist?  Round is classic and timeless.  Apple's Watch design is not.  Sorry.  Might be a great product, but it looks quite pedestrian compared to a nice high-end round watch face.

• Reply 17 of 278
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »

All these Android Wear watches look much better in PR photos than IRL, especially on someone's wrist.
  • Reply 18 of 278
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

..for a watch.

These aren't watches anymore than an iPhone is a "phone". Round works well for a device that's mainly a circular dial - that's why most watches are round.

There's a reason almost all content is presented in a rectangular layout... It's more efficient use of two-dimensional space.

Yes, round watches look nicer, because thats what we're used to seeing... But functionality wise, it's a horrible form factor.

No argument on the benefit of a square/rectangular screen over round in terms of functionality.  That said, these ARE watches.  You wear them on your wrist.  Sure, they can do a lot more, but you're still wearing a watch.  Many watch makers offer square watches, but how often do you see someone wearing a square watch?  They just don't look as nice.  I'm very impressed by the Apple Watch from a tech standpoint, but I think the design is weak.  It looks cheap and part of that is the square chicklet gum form factor.

• Reply 19 of 278
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

if you think the 360 looks better than the Watch...damb

We have the judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to style right here, folks!! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Timeless indeed.

Your computer and TV are meant for extended viewing of data/images. Traditional wrist watches and smartwatches are meant for quick glances at information. If you're spending more than a 5 or ten seconds interacting with the screen on your Apple Watch at a time, you're doing it wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

..for a watch.

Horrible form-factor for quickly glancing at the time or a notification or your heart rates, or the progress on your workout? Hardly. When I get a notification on my watch, I lift my wrist, see what it is, then go about my business. If it's something really important that requires my immediate attention, I pull out my iPhone. I personally don't view a smartwatch as something that I spend a long amount of time looking at during the day. Maybe you're different in your usage patterns.

I see the Apple Watch as 60% fashion and 40% useful tool that lets me keep my iPhone in my pocket more. If some people prefer the more rounded look for their primarily fashion-based device, then more power to 'em. But this constant bashing of something for being "different" is really getting old. 

• Reply 20 of 278
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Seriously, that's your defense? Two objects that came into existence long after round watches? Doesn't that reinforce the timelessness of the round watch face and the utter soullessness of an Apple Watch, which, incidentally matches the shape of the front of a CRT? How modern!

Kool Aid drinkers are never particularly good at logic.