Google Nexus event rumored for Sept. 29 with new phones, Android 6.0

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Google is reportedly planning to host a Sept. 29 press event in San Francisco, at which it will reveal two new Nexus smartphones running Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

2014's Nexus 6.
2014's Nexus 6.

The first phone is built by LG, while a second one is larger and made by Huawei, sources told CNet. Past rumors have pointed to the LG device being an upgraded, 5.2-inch Nexus 5, and the Huawei product measuring 5.7 inches.

The devices may also have rear-mounted fingerprint sensors and USB Type-C ports.

Google's Nexus phones are intended mostly as a kind of baseline for Android, a demonstration of the platform without any third-party apps or skins. As such they're particularly in demand by developers, or people who want the fastest possible Android updates direct from Google. Nexus devices can also be cheaper than competing products while offering comparable performance.

If confirmed, Google's event will be taking place just 20 days after an Apple one where new iPhones are likely to be announced. Those products should be sized at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, like last year's models, but carry upgrades like faster processors, more RAM, Force Touch control, and better front and rear cameras.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Nope.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I'm on pins and needles.

Not really.

Seriously, who gives a shit? Any new version that Google shows off won't make a market share dent for YEARS.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Woo hoo!

Wait... What's a Nexus?
  • Reply 4 of 34

After the Apple keynote, who's gonna care?

However, I'm sure the media will give this Nexus event tons and tons of coverage. /s

• Reply 5 of 34
    And why in the world is this posted here...
  • Reply 6 of 34

Yay Android 6.0 with 'Touch ID' and Android Pay. Yay. Right.

• Reply 7 of 34

Go-ogle can go suck on a beet for all I care.

• Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Woo hoo!

Wait... What's a Nexus?

It's the same as the "taint".

• Reply 9 of 34
    Nexus usually means best bang for your buck, although Nexus 6 you could argue was the exception to the rule.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    saltyzip wrote: »
    Nexus usually means best bang for your buck, although Nexus 6 you could argue was the exception to the rule.

Nexus 9 as well, not good hardware for the price.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    saltyzip wrote: »

Nexus 9 as well, not good hardware for the price.

I always thought a Nexus 9 was a Nexus 6...just held wrong..?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm on pins and needles.

Not really.

Seriously, who gives a shit? Any new version that Google shows off won't make a market share dent for YEARS.

Yeah, it's a load of Fluff®.

KitKat is the only version that had more than 15.9% share as of last month, and it was announced two years ago tomorrow (Sept 3, 2013). So we could be well into the Trump presidency before a significant percentage of Android users are benefiting from Marshmallow.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

• Reply 13 of 34
    9secondko wrote: »

There wasn't ad space available around the rumor news...
  • Reply 14 of 34

Really the only form of android phone I would buy anymore. My wife has a Galaxy S4 from tmobile that hasn't and probably never will see a lollipop update.

• Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

For the clicks.

Not only did you click, but you took the time to click again by posting a reply. Thereby reloading the page.

Now that you see that I replied to your post, you clicked again. Another page refresh.

It's amazing how well that works isn't it?

Of course there is also the fact that lots of people that come to this site may also be interested in Apples competition.

• Reply 16 of 34
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Rear mounted fingerprint sensors? Who the heck would want that?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why are they covering cheap knockoffs here?!
  • Reply 18 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm on pins and needles.

Not really.

because the manufacturer that make the phone for Nexus already a second or third place vendor in android device makers. Last time it's LG again...sure...still behind Samsung. This time, copycat From China...
  • Reply 19 of 34

You mean the new version of Android that 95% of consumers won't see pushed to their phones for another 4 years, if ever?

• Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I always thought a Nexus 9 was a Nexus 6...just held wrong..?

No, then it would be "9 suxeN"