Apple Pay transaction limit increased to 30 pounds in UK

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    softeky wrote: »
    I don't think they require a signature - the banks do however.

Transactions over $20 in the U.S., now £30 in the UK. Perhaps the banks don't quite trust the tech yet. Hopefully it won't be hacked and that stance will change.

Aside: I do wish Apple/banks would give away the readers to retailers in the U.S. where High Street availability is still almost non existent.

You are not comprehending the situation in the UK and / or what is being written here.

UK issued bank cards, i.e. VISA, MasterCard American Express, cards do not require a signature when used to pay at UK terminals, irrespective of amount paid or whether contactless or not.
    The card holder's PIN is used to verify when it is needed, i.e. Non-contactless cards, amounts higher than £30 on the contactless cards, the random check on a contactless card.

I've outlined in a previous post the rare occasions when signature is required; they don't apply to 99.99% of UK cardholders nor do they apply to 99.999% of transactions so it can be effectively ignored.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    chia wrote: »
    You are not comprehending the situation in the UK and / or what is being written here.

UK issued bank cards, i.e. VISA, MasterCard American Express, cards do not require a signature when used to pay at UK terminals, irrespective of amount paid or whether contactless or not.
    The card holder's PIN is used to verify when it is needed, i.e. Non-contactless cards, amounts higher than £30 on the contactless cards, the random check on a contactless card.

I've outlined in a previous post the rare occasions when signature is required; they don't apply to 99.99% of UK cardholders nor do they apply to 99.999% of transactions so it can be effectively ignored.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not sure it helps though as all I was commenting on was ApplePay transactions which (according to this article) all require verification with transactions over £30. Is the article incorrect on this detail?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by softeky View Post

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not sure it helps though as all I was commenting on was ApplePay transactions which (according to this article) all require verification with transactions over £30. Is the article incorrect on this detail?

The reference to "signature" in the article is misleading. No one signs anything anywhere for anything.

The UK uses Chip & PIN and Contactless (both on the same card; although not all Chip & PIN cards are also Contactless, most are).

All terminals are Chip & PIN and the transaction amount is virtually unlimited.

Some terminals accept Contactless. Contactless does not use a PIN. Therefore, Contactless transactions have a limit, this limit has been raised to £30. ApplePay functions as Contactless, and transactions are therefore limited to now £30.

I have read (here) that some shops in the UK accept ApplePay for amounts higher than £30 with fingerprint, but I have never seen one.

• Reply 24 of 32
    The launch partners do not have the £30 limit. Launch partners include Boots, Waitrose, M&S, Nandos, Spar, Co-Op and Wilko.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

The launch partners do not have the £30 limit. Launch partners include Boots, Waitrose, M&S, Nandos, Spar, Co-Op and Wilko.

I will have to try them...

• Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

There are few things few people in the developed countries do that are physically demanding, hence the obesity crisis.

The key learning point with Apple Pay for a retailer is that making it easier to pay means your customers are more likely to spend.

I myself find I prefer shopping at the contactless retailers because it makes for a better shopping experience for me.

Ease of payment can be the key differentiator in a competitive market where prices are the same and margins are low for the retailer.

Sainsbury's seem to be the only supermarket in the UK yet to offer contactless payment in its shops, an absurd situation considering their shops have the contactless capable terminals installed.

They're actually losing my custom as I have a choice of several Tesco, Waitrose and Asda shops near me; I'd only go to the nearest Sainsbury's where the price is right or for lines which the others don't carry, despite it being one of the largest shops adjacent to me.

A few weeks ago while traveling, I paid for some flowers and chocolate at a CoOP in Glasgow with apple watch. Easy and quick but despite being less than 20 pounds i still had to enter my pin. I dont care if i have to enter a pin, what i dont like is the payment system is a little inconsistent 

• Reply 27 of 32
    markbriton wrote: »
    I was in coop this morning and they have now put signs next to the terminal saying we accept Apple Pay up to the value of £20. Thought funny it should now be £30. Better get new signs. T
  • Reply 28 of 32
    shanejay wrote: »
    This is not right! General contactless payments have increased to £30 throughout England. Apple Pay still has no upper limit. 2 weeks ago I spent £32 in Nandos and paid using Apple Watch, the same for boots, £53

Retailers can choose to remove the limit for tokenised transactions such as Apple Pay.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    As far as I'm aware, all retailers who we supporting Apple Pay UK at launch have no upper limit. The only store to officially announce it was H&M.

That's the whole point of Apple Pay having no upper limit. Anyone can nick your contactless debit card & spend £30 at a time, but it would be pointless if Apple Pay was restricted to this.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    shanejay wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, all retailers who we supporting Apple Pay UK at launch have no upper limit. The only store to officially announce it was H&M.

That's the whole point of Apple Pay having no upper limit. Anyone can nick your contactless debit card & spend £30 at a time, but it would be pointless if Apple Pay was restricted to this.
    Yes, it is..... Please let us know if you find shops that accept ApplePay without a limit.
    In many shops I frequent, the Credit Card Terminal automatically disables Contactless for higher amounts. It does not even give you the option. But if you know if shops that do not have a limit, let us know. I want to use Apple Pay wherever I can to encourage acceptance.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Strange. So how was I able to pay £80 for my iPhone screen replacement at an Apple Store using Apple Pay if the limit has just been raised to £30???
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post

Strange. So how was I able to pay £80 for my iPhone screen replacement at an Apple Store using Apple Pay if the limit has just been raised to £30???

Apparently, based on your experience, individual retailers can enable Contactless & Fingerprint. Interesting. I wish they would use a sticker that advertises that at POS.