Key 'iPhone 6s' upgrades reaffirmed to be Force Touch, rose gold color, improved cameras & Touch ID

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
When Apple announces its next-generation iPhones next week in San Francisco, the sales pitch for consumers will almost certainly include Force Touch, a new color option, and upgrades for Touch ID and the already class-leading camera system.

The new features likely won't include a sapphire cover lens, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo wrote in a Thursday morning note to investors. That part is said to have failed durability testing, forcing the so-called iPhone 6s and 6s Plus back to ion-strengthened glass.

Echoing previous rumors, Kuo believes the rear-facing camera will gain a resolution bump to 12 megapixels, while the front-facing shooter will rise to 5 megapixels. There won't be any more space to store those larger photos, however, as capacities will remain at 16, 64, and 128 gigabytes.

Other improvements on tap include Force Touch, a faster and more accurate Touch ID system, and a new rose gold color option to match the Apple Watch.

Kuo believes that Force Touch is the key to driving upgrade sales. If consumers don't respond to the feature, he predicts "flattish..or slightly lower" sales in fiscal 2016 as compared to fiscal 2015.

Apple will announce its new handset lineup during a special event next Wednesday, Sept. 9. AppleInsider will be on hand and will bring live coverage from inside the venue beginning at 9 a.m. Pacific time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Force touch is the key to driving upgrade sales? Why?
  • Reply 2 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    There is something missing for sure. Force Touch is not a selling point. No one will care about that.

Neither is "improved" Touch ID. What, did it not work before? Sure it did.

Improved cameras is great, but is also a given with every iPhone update.

Just like the lead into WWDC last year, where HEALTH AND FITNESS was smeared all over every article leading up to it, but barely even took 3 minutes of the keynote.

There is something much more to these new iPhones that we don't yet know.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Its not. There is clearly a lot missing from this year's projections. You're not going to see Force Touch printed anywhere as a marquee feature.

• Reply 4 of 84
    What's KGI talking about? At least in the US, the 2 year wait is over. I expect anyone who upgrade last year on installment (NEXT, JUMP, etc) will be able to upgrade again next week at no cost.

Besides, this is easily the biggest iPhone upgrade (besides new casing) ever:

A9
    4K 12MP iSight Camera
    5MP 1080p Facetime camera with flash
    New LTE chip (up 300 Mbps)
    2G RAM
    7000 aluminium casing
    Force Touch
  • Reply 5 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Pure stupidity.

People will be upgrading from the 4S, 5, and 5S mostly.

You continue to have no idea what you're talking about. Last year began the first big wave of customers using programs like NEXT and EDGE instead of subsidies to purchase their iPhones. All of those people will be able to upgrade this year via trade in with their program....without having to pay through the nose to make it happen. Unlike previous years where upgrading every 12 months would cost you A LOT more than most were willing to pay.

No, you will now begin to see more year over year upgrades than ever before.

• Reply 6 of 84
    rogifan wrote: »

I hope they have more up their sleeve, Force Touch is as much of a selling point to consumers as the A7 being 64-bit was...aka next to none.

Of course I want the bozos to release a new iOS 9 beta; they're looking like they plan to ship broken code again otherwise.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Kuo...Munster...DigiTimes...LOL!
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Of course I want the bozos to release a new iOS 9 beta; they're looking like they plan to ship broken code again otherwise.

iOS 9 is good enough for beta testers. The GM has had weeks to take its shape, and there is no reason to seed that to anyone until its time.

The fact that there was NO beta 6 should tell you that it is doing better in development than iOS 7 or 8 did.

• Reply 9 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There is something missing for sure. Force Touch is not a selling point. No one will care about that.

Neither is "improved" Touch ID. What, did it not work before? Sure it did.

Improved cameras is great, but is also a given with every iPhone update.

Just like the lead into WWDC last year, where HEALTH AND FITNESS was smeared all over every article leading up to it, but barely even took 3 minutes of the keynote.

There is something much more to these new iPhones that we don't yet know.

Depends on the Apps that integrate ForceTouch, maybe there will be some "killer" application for it, apart from shortcuts.

Improved cameras are actually a minus this time around for me, as 

a) Apple still does nothing to make uploading all your TB of Pics/Vids to the cloud attractive, and

b) local storage will use much more space for the same casual shots.

I hope, you're right with your last statement.

• Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alvinguzman View Post

What's KGI talking about? At least in the US, the 2 year wait is over. I expect anyone who upgrade last year on installment (NEXT, JUMP, etc) will be able to upgrade again next week at no cost.

Besides, this is easily the biggest iPhone upgrade (besides new casing) ever:

A9

4K 12MP iSight Camera

5MP 1080p Facetime camera with flash

New LTE chip (up 300 Mbps)

2G RAM

7000 aluminium casing

Force Touch

Not one average user will care too much about the housing and the RAM. The forward "flash" is actually a white screen, so I am sceptical as to it's efficiency. More MPs, sure, higher numbers are always good for uninformed buyers :-)

• Reply 11 of 84
    As I said before, nothing worth upgrading for. All foreseen upgrades are SOP every year. I already used my AT&T Next 12 upgrade just last weekend to jump from my Space Gray 6 to a gold 6 Plus. I love this screen. It's great! My first white faced iPhone ever.

I always thought having to wait two years to upgrade was a long time. Until I went from my 5s to the 6 and now 6 to 6 Plus. Time flies. Before you know it, you're running out and buying a new phone and screen protectors and cases...too much trouble. And now with all the new "lease" plans, phones have become like cars. You'll never stop paying for them. Then you trade it in and start the payments on a new one all over again! They got you right where they want you.

I had my 4 and one Otter Box case for it for two years before getting the 5, no problems. And the best part, I got to KEEP my phone and do with it as I pleased.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Quote:

iOS 9 is good enough for beta testers. The GM has had weeks to take its shape, and there is no reason to seed that to anyone until its time.

The fact that there was NO beta 6 should tell you that it is doing better in development than iOS 7 or 8 did.

"The fact that there was NO beta 6 should tell you that it is doing better in development than iOS 7 or 8 did."

How so?

• Reply 13 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If you own a 6 maybe.

But if you own a 5S, 5, or 4S?  huge upgrade.

Unless you're religious about having a 4" iPhone.  Count me in as someone who will upgrade from iPhone 6 to 6s Plus.

• Reply 14 of 84
    sog35 wrote: »
    If you own a 6 maybe.

But if you own a 5S, 5, or 4S?  huge upgrade.

Oh yea, of course. Forgot to mention that's what I meant. Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Kuo...Munster...DigiTimes...LOL!

With a side serving of Buzzfeed...

• Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:

I don't know how it was with previous major releases, but maybe there are some features in iOS9 they only want to put in after the 9th and then issue more betas until the time you can actually purchase what's been shown.

• Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

My thoughts exactly. Force touch seems like a nice thing to have, but certainly no reason at all to upgrade.

• Reply 18 of 84
    pmz wrote: »

Or it represents Craig's philosophy, which is ship and fix later.

By your logic, eight betas of El Capitan means it's a total dog, right?
  • Reply 19 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Pure stupidity.

People will be upgrading from the 4S, 5, and 5S mostly.
    Rose gold will drive the sale. Remember the gold color last time?
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

My thoughts exactly. Force touch seems like a nice thing to have, but certainly no reason at all to upgrade.

To me all of this force touch crap its irrelevant

if you are on 4/4s/5/5s - you are probably on a regular 2 contract - for you, this would be an enormous upgrade

If you are 6/6 plus - you are probably on an installment plan - this would be a no brainer - it will cost you nothing (at most taxes) to upgrade

Either way this would be a great upgrade cycle for Apple.