Latest comScore figures show iPhone growing and cementing US marketshare

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Updated comScore analytics data published on Thursday suggests that Apple's U.S. smartphone share is still increasing in the U.S., despite the imminent arrival of new models.

The iPhone controlled an average 44.2 percent of the market during a three-month period ending in July, comScore said. That's a rise of 1.1 points over the prior three months.

In comparison, Samsung's U.S. marketshare dropped 1.3 points to 27.3 percent. LG rose 0.3 points to 8.7 percent, while Motorola held flat at 4.9 percent, and HTC dipped 0.2 points to 3.5 percent.

Android remained the most popular smartphone platform, but saw its share shrink 0.8 points to 51.4 percent. Microsoft's Windows Phone fell a tenth of a point to 2.9 percent, and BlackBerry continued a long-term decline, sliding 0.2 points to 1.3 percent.

iPhone sales typically soften in the summer as shoppers anticipate new models in the fall, and devices from competing companies take their turn in the spotlight. Sales of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have remained strong throughout 2015 however, something often attributed to pent-up demand for large-screen iPhones. Until late 2014, no iPhone had a display bigger than 4 inches, even as rival devices began to regularly surpass the 5-inch mark.

Apple is due to announce new iPhones at a Sept. 9 media event. The devices should be relatively modest upgrades, with faster processors, more RAM, Force Touch controls, and better front and rear cameras.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Modest update to the iphone next week? Maybe cosmetically, but everything I've read on this site and others tells me it will be a major gut upgrade with a much faster processor and a camera with 50% more mega-pixels....two of the most important items of an iphone.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Is it rising because more iPhones were sold or because Android et al were selling at a slower rate?
  • Reply 3 of 54
    I've had a good year with my 6+. Amazing camera and beautiful display. But I'm ready for the new one on AT&T's Next plan!
  • Reply 4 of 54
    This is remarkable because normally at this time Samsung regain some of the market share then normally lose to the new iPhones in Q4 and Q1, when Samsung come out with their new models of Galaxy to compete with the now aging iPhones

But it seems that Samsung are in real trouble, even losing market share to iPhones with their new Galaxies. Tim Cook has talked of massive switching from Androids to iPhones and here is the evidence.

Samsung are so desperate that they have even brought forward their new models to preempt the launch of the iPhone - but to no avail, the aging iPhone 6 & 6+ just continues to gain market share.

No wonder Samsung have desperately been offering iPhone users free trials of their new Galaxies for just $1. It seems that neither this ploy nor heavy discounting of their new Galaxies has been able to stem the growth of iPhones which are nearing the end of their life cycle.

Now Apple are about to announce their new iPhones, which is likely to hit Samsung and Android harder still.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Apple must of paid them to do this survey because how are they getting thier information. Paid shills and a bullocks report.

Oh wait, we only say that when it's negative against Apple and the other companies are paying for the report.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Is it rising because more iPhones were sold or because Android et al were selling at a slower rate?

Leave it to you to suggest a negative. Apple is DOOMED™

• Reply 7 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Apple must of paid them to do this survey because how are they getting thier information. Paid shills and a bullocks report.

Oh wait, we only say that when it's negative against Apple and the other companies are paying for the report.

You have a point.

• Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I've had a good year with my 6+. Amazing camera and beautiful display. But I'm ready for the new one on AT&T's Next plan!

Me too. I’m also looking forward to a new larger iPad and to iOS and Apple Watch software updates.

i’m also interested in the new Apple TV, having read some interesting stuff about what a great update it is with many new features.

• Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Are you getting worried.? Sore Samsung/Android loser?

There is lots of evidence that Apple are doing well, including the fact that the last quarter earnings report showed that YonY iPhone unit sales were up 35%, profits were up 37.7% % - while Samsung’s tanked. 

• Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

Probably both

There is lots of evidence that Apple are doing well, including the fact that the last quarter earnings report showed that YonY iPhone unit sales were up 35%, profits were up 37.7% % - while Samsung’s tanked. 

• Reply 11 of 54

Are you getting worried.? Sore Samsung/Android loser?

Why would I be worried? I don't really care either way. Apple, Samsung or any other OEMs could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't matter to me as do not care. I was being sarcastic because that what some people on here say when it's negative against Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    [SIZE=4]A few years back Steve Ballmer sold his soul to the devil if Windows phone could have twice the market share at Blackberry... looks like it just happened, but not the way Ballmer planned: Windows phone at 2.9%[/SIZE]
  • Reply 13 of 54

What's even more amazing is that Samsung lost market share AFTER releasing what they called their fastest best smartphones ever....
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Apple is due to announce new iPhones at a <A href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/27/apple-sends-invitations-for-sept-9-iphone-6s-and-apple-tv-event-hey-siri-give-us-a-hint">Sept. 9 media event</a>. The devices should be relatively modest upgrades, with faster processors, more RAM, Force Touch controls, and better front and rear cameras.

Any ONE of those things would be a "modest upgrade" in the past... Now Apple throws them ALL into a mid-step iPhone and the author calls it a "modest upgrade".

What would Apple need to do to get the author excited??
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Android market share is dropping (high Nov 2012 53.7%, 51.4% is the lowest since May 2012) because there are fewer non-smartphone users converting to android and there continues to be a group of users switching to iPhone.  For the last 5 months - there has been a net of 0 Android users added, iPhone has added 6.9 million, and there have been 5.1 million new smartphone users.  The last two months is the first time Android has not gained total users.  

For those wondering, in the last 5 months Windows lost .97 million and Blackberry lost .87 million users.

• Reply 16 of 54
    sirlance99 wrote: »

Apple doesn't need fake reports. Wall St. will punish them no matter what gets written about Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    What's even more amazing is that Samsung lost market share AFTER releasing what they called their fastest best smartphones ever....

What's amazing is that they didn't lose more market share. They've commissioned a study by offering a limited number of "free" Galaxy S6's to iPhone users in exchange for answering some questions about what motivates them to switch to Samsung. If they were honest, one of the answers on the survey should be: "because it was FREE otherwise I'd get a new iPhone. Heck, since I didn't pay for this S6, I can still switch to the iPhone and pawn this S6 off on eBay for a tidy net profit." :)
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Apple doesn't need fake reports. Wall St. will punish them no matter what gets written about Apple.

I know and agree. I was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Why would I be worried? I don't really care either way. Apple, Samsung or any other OEMs could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't matter to me as do not care. I was being sarcastic because that what some people on here say when it's negative against Apple.

Strange way to spend sp much of your time posting over 500 comments on AppleInsider when you claim you "don't really care either way. Apple, Samsung or any other OEMs could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't matter to me as do not care"

• Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

Quote:

I know and agree. I was being sarcastic.

That tact is getting so old: Make a dig at Apple (or say some other negative thing), then act nonchalant and say you were just being sarcastic. Can you guys switch it up a bit?