Apple Music team working on fixes, improvements through end of 2015, says iTunes VP

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
Apple still has "a bit of homework to be done" throughout the rest of 2015 to improve Apple Music, including fixing problems with the service's interface and handling of local iTunes libraries, an iTunes International VP said on Thursday.

The company's current focus is on "editorial and playlists," Oliver Schusser told U.K. newspaper The Guardian. The company is also said to be working on adding features and cleaning up different aspects of the service, though Schusser did not elaborate on details.

The executive specifically said little to address the most serious complaints about Apple Music, which have included an awkward interface, and iCloud Music Library mislabeling or even erasing local iTunes libraries.

"The product is always our priority, and we are getting a lot of feedback," Schusser responded. "Remember, this was a very big launch in 110 markets instantly, so we get a ton of feedback. We're obviously trying to make it better every day."

He noted that the company is still planning to bring the service to Android and Sonos devices sometime this fall.

More information could be announced as soon as Apple's Sept. 9 press event, although the focus is expected to be on new iPhones and an updated Apple TV, the latter of which should get Apple Music as well. Alternately, Apple commonly hosts a second press event in October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    If they can work out all the rough edges (like weird offline downloading) then it will be great. In theory, I love it, but there are too many places where it just doesn't work yet. Hoping most of the kinks are worked out by ios9
  • Reply 2 of 29
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Well they say they're working on it. Nice.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Wasn't ready for primetime.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

For me the ability to be able to play mosts songs from Siri is super. And certain things about the UI for the Music app I like a lot. I like the mini player and the animations.

On my iMac 5K I can't get Apple Music to show up on iTunes, on my MBA is shows up fine. It's telling me to update iTunes on the 5K to see Apple Music but it is up to date.

• Reply 5 of 29

You should never judge a company's brand new product on either 1) the way it works on day one, or 2) it's potential. The first error assumes that a new product ought to be perfect right off the bat when it's introduced into the wild (or its doomed to fail), and the second error assumes that the company will inevitably get it right. If you want to know why Apple has developed such great products outside of its original product line (since Steve Jobs took over again in the 90s), look at all of its brand-new products 2-3 years out from their introduction.

iPod? Worked only with Macs at the outset, within a few years was by far the best and most popular (and really, the only serious) portable music device on the market. iPhone? Limited apps and slow data speeds on day one, blew everyone away within a few years. iPad? Ridiculed by many day one, now look where it is. It will be the same with Apple Music.

• Reply 6 of 29
    What you describe are only hardware products. The success rate with internet services is quite different. MobileMe, Ping, iTunes Match? None of these ever took off. I am not saying they were bad products. But Apple was never Apple to turn them into market leaders.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    jakeb wrote: »
    If they can work out all the rough edges (like weird offline downloading) then it will be great. In theory, I love it, but there are too many places where it just doesn't work yet. Hoping most of the kinks are worked out by ios9

It isn't. It's just as lousy in iOS 9 as it was on 8.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Wasn't ready for primetime.

Care to list something by any vendor that was?

• Reply 9 of 29
    Allow me to buy music directly from the player.. Why route me to itunes app to buy something ?
    Just add a buy botton on songs i discover.

Reduce the clutter.., looks too stuffed and rushed... And all over the place .
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Wish Apple would issue more frequent, incremental updates to their apps rather than waiting several months for a major update, leaving the users to suffer the bugs while we wait.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Allow me to buy music directly from the player.. Why route me to itunes app to buy something ?

Just add a buy botton on songs i discover.

Agreed. You should also be able to go the opposite way—if I'm shopping for music and have an Apple Music subscription, pressing play in the store should play the whole song, not a short preview.

Apple Music really needs to be one seamless interface for subscribers across all of Apple's music properties and devices, including a shared Up Next list as Rdio has implemented. Then it will be great! Right now it's not better than Rdio for my interests.

That all said Beats1 is fantastic, and I'm thrilled they put that together.

• Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Duh.

To all those crybabies:  Apple will fix it.  Its a first generation product, don't expect perfection.  

By next year AppleMusic will be the leader in paid streaming music

I thought it was Google's job to deliver things in beta form, not Apple.

• Reply 13 of 29
    sog35 wrote: »
    Duh.

To all those crybabies:  Apple will fix it.  Its a first generation product, don't expect perfection.  

By next year AppleMusic will be the leader in paid streaming music

Agree. Still wondering why Apple releases such half-baked product, though. It is VERY buggy: duplicates, playlists, greyed out songs, lost music, the list is long and serious.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Memo to Mr. Schusser: DO YOUR HOMEWORK. You're not Google.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    benjer wrote: »
    You should never judge a company's <span style="line-height:1.4em;">brand new product on either 1) the way it works on day one, or 2) it's potential. The first error assumes that a new product ought to be perfect right off the bat when it's introduced into the wild (or its doomed to fail), and the second error assumes that the company will inevitably get it right. If you want to know why Apple has developed such great products outside of its original product line (since Steve Jobs took over again in the 90s), look at all of its brand-new products 2-3 years out from their introduction.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">iPod? Worked only with Macs at the outset, within a few years was by far the best and most </span>
    popular (and really, the only serious) portable music device on the market. iPhone? Limited apps and slow data speeds on day one, blew everyone away within a few years. iPad? Ridiculed by many day one, now look where it is. It will be the same with Apple Music.

These products had limited functionalities, but they worked. Music has tons of functionality, but they don't work well.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    smack416 wrote: »

That all said Beats1 is fantastic, and I'm thrilled they put that together.

If you like Beats 1, may I recommend BBC Radio 1 on TuneIn. I hope you will like that, too.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    What a load of non-statements from Schusser, right from the rhetorics class. Should we think the product is NOT in focus? They they don't get feedback arm don't work on improving the service?
    I wish he'd been more specific and would have said
    something along "listen, this feature and that function is not there yet. And this is how it will look like in a few weeks".
    This would be the more important now as trial periods expire and it's would be harder to get people back on board after they left than keeping the indecisive on board by letting them know what will be fixed how.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    lkrupp wrote: »

Care to list something by any vendor that was?
    I'm with Ikrupp, it matters more how a company responds to the issues and failures than the initial offering. Apple's relentless - albeit sometimes slow - drive to improve has already left countless competitors by the wayside. Take their approach to retaining software compatibility for older hardware - android users languish with vulnerable legacy systems while my 4s is running iOS 8. Music is not perfect by any stretch, but the patient application of effort and thought will make it the standard that all others aspire to.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    It isn't. It's just as lousy in iOS 9 as it was on 8.

Unfortunately that has been my experience as well
    And now that it's baked into the OS I have a bad feeling it won't be until OS 12 before it's worked out.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Wish Apple would issue more frequent, incremental updates to their apps rather than waiting several months for a major update, leaving the users to suffer the bugs while we wait.

Doing that would risk more bugs, not less; they do need to be tested extensively for regressions. Apple Music has been launched for a few months. How often do you think they should issue updates?