New iMac displays said to improve color saturation via LED phosphor, sales could reach 1M this quart

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

My guess would be an iPad Pro running iOS when used as an iPad and when attaching a Keyboard it will switch to OS X. That would make a lot of sense to all this Continuity features.

While there are possibly quite a few of us that find that type of device intriguing, I'm doubting it'll ever happen. The reason is that instead of selling each of us two devices, they'd only get a chance to sell us one device, and that isn't something very appealing to Apple I would imagine. Sigh. It would be a fun device to own, that's for sure, if it ever happened.

• Reply 22 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The major engineering on the machine is done, as such the machine doesn't need a team any more. 

Some people might argue that the engineering was already done with the original Mac Pro. All they needed to do was add Thunderbolt and USB 3 along with the latest Xeons and GPUs. That big box was a Pro dream. You could do whatever you wanted with it.

• Reply 23 of 34
    [quote name="AppleInsider" url="/t/188004/new-imac-displays-said-to-improve-color-saturation-via-led-phosphor-sales-could-reach-1m-this-quarter#post_2770181"]
    It was last October that Apple revamped its iMac lineup with the 27-inch 5K model, representing one of the highest-resolution displays available. [B]The professional-grade desktop allows photographers to see 17-me
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

...it does look a tad gloomy for the MP.

Why worry about another Apple hardware hobby? Enjoy their fine music service instead.

• Reply 25 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    According to the following page, it's looking as though the Mac Pro team has been disbanded - Apple does not include the MP in its "portrait" of the Mac family now. I sure hope these folks are wrong, but it does look a tad gloomy for the MP.

http://architosh.com/2015/09/apples-latest-mac-family-portrait-missing-mac-pro/

Please NO!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    jollypaul wrote: »
    Why worry about another Apple hardware hobby? Enjoy their fine music service instead.

What are you even talking about??

Hardware vs music?

Come back to. Earth sometime.

When a music service enables us to create multimedia, design graphics, edit video, develop apps and websites, create and edit documents, surf the web, play games, watch Hulu, etc. get back to us.

Until then, I don't know, try to say something relevant?
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

When a music service enables us to create multimedia, design graphics, edit video, develop apps and websites, create and edit documents, surf the web, play games, watch Hulu, etc. get back to us.

Did you receive sarcasm recognition training from Sheldon?

• Reply 28 of 34
    Looks like they opted for low cost phosphorous instead of high performance quantum dot display technology.

Interesting choice, but they have to keep their margins.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    jollypaul wrote: »
    Did you receive sarcasm recognition training from Sheldon?

If that was indeed, sarcasm, my apologies.

I guess it flew over my head.

Been dealing with too many people in their own little world this week.

But to be honest, that wasn't very clever sarcasm. Lol
  • Reply 30 of 34

The new Mac Pro is a cool looking little thing much like the Mac Cube was. Like the cube it's priced high from a pure performance standpoint while seriously limiting expansion or upgrades. It's an appliance for a very specific user who needs distributed GPU capabilities, but doesn't need any storage space. It's hard to see who that could possibly be.

The MP forces any serious user to have the cable clutter of external storage. This from the company that otherwise does everything in its power to eliminate cables.

While I see how dual CPU customers were a small niche within a niche, I would think people requiring two GPUs are also a small niche within a niche so why make that standard? And if the target customers are primarily interested in GPU performance why use relatively mediocre chips that are easily and inexpensively surpassed by a PCI card in a 2010 Mac Pro? If two GPUs are really necessary Apple could have allowed Crossfire in the old design to allow two cards to collaborate on tasks.

----------

As for the iMac I'm still unimpressed by the new thinner design with the SD slot hidden on the back. Sure the display, especially the retina one, is great, but it's even less serviceable than the older thinner design and, according to the head technician at my local store, is a more frequent visitor to the service department than it's thicker predecessor. When it comes to hot components thinner is not better.

Internally the GPU remains unimpressive and even the forthcoming Skylake CPUs are unlikely to boost any performance numbers by more than a couple of percentage points. The Windows PC Skylake benchmarks I've seen so far have been thoroughly underwhelming. Currently the Fusion drive is only standard on top price points with ridiculous markups to add $50 worth of flash or a $100 SSD to any other model. Add the 33% drop in the Canadian dollar and my planned Skylake iMac purchase is simply not happening.

• Reply 31 of 34
    No, life is long enough to hold plenty of grudges. Apple introduces a beautiful Mac pro that can handle 4K video via thunderbolt and they are gonna cede the monitor sales to someone else? If they can make a 4k and 5K iMac, it is certainly within their ability to make a freestanding 4k thunderbolt monitor for the Mac Pro. Which would please many pros with a need for a large high quality monitor…not just me.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I have an iMac 27" Core-i7 from late 2009 and it still runs exceptionally well and I have no plans to upgrade to a new system anytime soon. (Although I must add... I did recently upgrade to 16GB of RAM and installed a 64GB SSD which I used to create a Fusion drive. And my next planned upgrade is to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth card.)

Very interesting post for me personally as I also have an iMac 27" Core-i7 from late 2009, but it took a big hit in speed it seems since Yosemite. I get beach balled a lot switching between just 3-4 apps open with lots of disk activity. I'm sure it's primarily because of my original 4 GB RAM still and possibly compounded by Yosemite's new memory compression scheme which probably works wonders but not with so little RAM. A while back I uninstalled a dormant MacKeeper that I forgot I had after reading some horror stories of slowdowns caused by some of its weaselling underbelly and followed instructions to get all of its sneaky little pieces. It seemed to help a bit but not the big boost of relief some were claiming. I'm also considering to bite the bullet and do a clean install of El Capitan after a 16 GB upgrade.

I'm curious about your Fusion drive. Two years ago I had the hard drive replaced during the callback period, well I had to because after months of procrastination it actually failed a week before the end of the offer. I offered to pay the difference to have a Fusion drive but they said they couldn't or that it wouldn't work. Did you manage to configure it as a real Fusion drive where the system automatically migrates frequently used files or did you just mean it as an SSD/HDD combo ? Did you install it internally ?

I'm also curious about the WiFi/Bluetooth card. I have a minor issue where it often loses the Magic Mouse connection when it gets to close to the card on the bottom right, never happened once with the Magic Trackpad that I keep on the left. Do you have an issue with it ? Is it an upgrade for Handoff and if so where are you going to get it ? I would appreciate any insight you would care to share, thanks.

• Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It was last October that Apple revamped its iMac lineup with the 27-inch 5K model, representing one of the highest-resolution displays available. The professional-grade desktop allows photographers to see 17-megapixel images in their entirety on the display, or for videographers to edit 4K video at full-screen resolution.

No.... Not according to Apple's website.

5120*2880 is only about 14.7 megapixels.