Apple may introduce less expensive gold Apple Watch, new iPad keyboard next week - report

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2015
Apple may still have a few surprises in store for its Sept. 9 event, including a "revamped iPad keyboard" and a less expensive gold variant of the current Apple Watch design, according to The New York Times.

Citing people briefed with Apple's plans for next week's event, the Times reported on Friday that new metal finishes for the Apple Watch "may surface" at Wednesday's event. That aligns with what KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said back in March, when he indicated Apple could launch as many as three additional casing materials in time for this fall's holiday shopping season.
Popular jewelry materials not found in the current Apple Watch lineup include white gold, platinum, titanium and ceramic.
Friday's report indicated that one of the options Apple may introduce is a less expensive gold version. Apple's current 18-karat gold Apple Watch starts at $10,000.

Other materials that Apple could introduce include white gold, titanium, or even ceramic. Less common materials include carbon fiber, rubber, or custom creations like Rolex's "Rolesor" and Hublot's "Magic Gold."

Friday's report also suggested Apple will showcase new iPads at the Sept. 9 event, which would be something of a surprise, given that Apple has opted to hold off on new iPad launches until October in years past.

The Times said its sources indicated Apple is "putting the finishing touches" on a revamped iPad keyboard that "may" launch this year. It is unknown whether that product would be the wireless keyboard with integrated battery outed by the FCC, along with a new Magic Mouse, last month, or if it is an entirely different product. Apple does not currently make an iPad-specific keyboard.

The report made no mention of a so-called "iPad Pro," which is rumored to be set to launch this fall with a larger 12.9-inch display and a Bluetooth stylus accessory.

Finally, the report also reiterated many of the expected details of the upcoming Apple TV refresh, including its $149 price and the fact that it will come with a new remote control with a touchpad and gyroscope. In addition to allowing for new input methods, it will also be capable of being used with games, much like a Wii remote, sources reportedly told the Times.

Those capabilities are expected to be bolstered by a dedicated App Store for the Apple TV, allowing users to download software from content providers and game developers to play on their HDTV set. The new Apple TV is also expected to include Siri voice input as well as multi-service universal search, making it easier than ever to find content from sources like Netflix, Hulu or iTunes.

For the previous two generations, Apple has priced its set-top streaming device at $99, but this year's fourth-generation overhaul is believed to carry the higher $149 price point because of its greatly expanded capabilities.

Despite all of that, the centerpiece of the Sept. 9 event is expected to be Apple's most popular product, the iPhone, which will receive an annual upgrade widely believed to include Force Touch input, improved cameras, and a new rose gold color option.

Other anticipated improvements in this year's so-called "iPhone 6s" are 2 gigabytes of RAM, a faster "A9" processor, and potentially a new forward facing flash that would improve selfies in low-light situations. It's expected that the 4.7-inch "iPhone 6s" will keep the same pricing and capacity structure as the current iPhone 6, starting at $199 on contract for 16 gigabytes up to $399 for 128 gigabytes, while the jumbo-sized "iPhone 6s" plus would start at $299.

If Apple sticks to its usual release pattern, as it is expected to do, the new iPhones would be in the hands of consumers on Friday, Sept. 18.

Apple's event kicks off at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, Calif., at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern next Wednesday. AppleInsider will be there with full, live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    The FCC didn't out a new iPad keyboard.. just an updated Bluetooth Apple Keyboard, thats it.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Apple will show:

1. The iPad Pro Transformer with attached Keyboard which can flip backwards to act as a stand. It will have a 4K touch screen and new A9s CPU with graphics muscle to handle the larger screen.

2. The iPhone 6s with new A9 CPU, new camera with ZOOM, 256 GB Storage option, unbendable case, in new colors including Rose Gold.

3. Apple TV Console with new Apple TV App Store, controllers, games, and TV channels - including Apple's own TV Bundle, and connection to Apple Music and the iTunes Store for Movies and Music. Apple TV Console will be Apple's newest tab on its website. It will sport the new A9s CPU, have 64 GB Storage. Games, Apps, and Movies can be stored in iTunes on your Mac or PC and downloaded as needed through your network. Or Apps and Games can be downloaded on demand from the Apple TV App Store.

4. Updated Apple Watch 2.0 Software

5. New Apple Retail Store Designs. We will get to see Angela speak at an Apple event for the first time.

6. Apple Music and Radio Updates - Beats 2, Beats 3 radio stations - including Country and Adult Contemporary, Jazz, and Classical Music.

7. Performance by someone such as The Weeknd as an introduction to the Apple Music Festival in London.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple will show:

1. The iPad Pro Transformer with attached Keyboard which can flip backwards to act as a stand. It will have a 4K touch screen and new A9s CPU with graphics muscle to handle the larger screen.

2. The iPhone 6s with new A9 CPU, new camera with ZOOM, 256 GB Storage option, unbendable case, in new colors including Rose Gold.

3. Apple TV Console with new Apple TV App Store, controllers, games, and TV channels - including Apple's own TV Bundle, and connection to Apple Music and the iTunes Store for Movies and Music. Apple TV Console will be Apple's newest tab on its website. It will sport the new A9s CPU, have 64 GB Storage. Games, Apps, and Movies can be stored in iTunes on your Mac or PC and downloaded as needed through your network. Or Apps and Games can be downloaded on demand from the Apple TV App Store.

5. New Apple Retail Store Designs. We will get to see Angela speak at an Apple event for the first time.

6. Apple Music and Radio Updates - Beats 2, Beats 3 radio stations - including Country and Adult Contemporary, Jazz, and Classical Music.

7. Performance by someone such as The Weeknd as an introduction to the Apple Music Festival in London.

Hi Tim, nice to finally welcome you at AppleInsider!

• Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

The FCC didn't out a new iPad keyboard.. just an updated Bluetooth Apple Keyboard, thats it.

Apple's wireless keyboard *is* its one and only iPad keyboard, currently. Why, exactly, the NYT (or its sources) said a revamped iPad keyboard, I do not know. Could mean a new wireless keyboard (as outed by the FCC), or it could mean an entirely new, iPad-specific keyboard.

• Reply 5 of 49
    I'd like an iPad specific keyboard. I currently use an HP TouchPad keyboard with mine, which works fairly well but it'd be nice if things like the app switcher were assigned to a key (the TP keyboard has a webOS card key but it's not mapped to anything in iOS)
  • Reply 6 of 49
    While not the main thrust of the article, will Apple need to alter the stated price of the various phone versions since the carriers are doing away with subsidies?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple will show:

I think is more your wishlist than what Apple will actually introduce....nice though.

• Reply 8 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'd like an iPad specific keyboard. I currently use an HP TouchPad keyboard with mine, which works fairly well but it'd be nice if things like the app switcher were assigned to a key (the TP keyboard has a webOS card key but it's not mapped to anything in iOS)

FWIW, you'll gain OS X-style Command-Tab task switching with physical keyboards in iOS 9.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/12/ios-9-hardware-keyboard-shortcuts-bring-apples-ipad-world-closer-to-the-mac

• Reply 9 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple may still have a few surprises in store for its Sept. 9 event, including a "revamped iPad keyboard" and a less expensive gold variant of the current Apple Watch design, according to The New York Times.

Not the NYT is confirmation of anything, but I've been making this point since the beginning.

There is a huge market in the middle class that will simply not wear silver jewelry or accessories at all, and who cannot spend $10-17K to buy a gold watch, much less a smartwatch. 

This was inevitable. Just as Apple will add a silver-colored option to the Edition. But the Edition will still distinguish itself by customs bands, and case treatments not otherwise available on the less expensive models.

As an aside: Tim Cook said the Edition would be sold in "very limited" quantities ... so how many total Edition Watches do we thing Apple is planning to sell, and when will it no longer be available? Part of what makes the Edition able to be priced as it is, is the perception of limited exclusivity -- not only is there a financial sacrifice, but the customer needs to be among the first to shell out for it.

• Reply 10 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Not the NYT is confirmation of anything, but I've been making this point since the beginning.

There is a huge market in the middle class that will simply not wear silver jewelry or accessories at all, and who cannot spend $10-17K to buy a gold watch, much less a smartwatch. 

This was inevitable. Just as Apple will add a silver-colored option to the Edition. But the Edition will still distinguish itself by customs bands, and case treatments not otherwise available on the less expensive models.

As an aside: Tim Cook said the Edition would be sold in "very limited" quantities ... so how many total Edition Watches do we thing Apple is planning to sell, and when will it no longer be available? Part of what makes the Edition able to be priced as it is, is the perception of limited exclusivity -- not only is there a financial sacrifice, but the customer needs to be among the first to shell out for it.

There have been rumors that Apple would be doing gold anodized aluminum watches. I'm still skeptical about that but I wonder if this less expensive gold is really an anodized aluminum watch. Although it's weird that the NYT would refer to it as gold.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No way they make a less expensive gold watch.

Only way they do this is if they cancel the 18k gold watch.  They will not sell a solid 18k gold watch for $10k and a gold plated or anodized watch for less than $1k.  No way on earth.  

They won't make 2 watches that look identical and have identical internals and have a price difference of $9k between them.

Kinda like a knock off of their own product.  That is supposed to be left for Samsung to do...

• Reply 12 of 49

When a New York Times story uses phrases such as "...a person briefed on the product" and "...a person close to the product" -- these are remarkably carefully vetted terms at the Times -- that is pretty much money in the bank.

This report is easily the best I've seen re. what's on tap for September 9.

• Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Kinda like a knock off of their own product.  That is supposed to be left for Samsung to do...

No worries, Samsung will merely move into the business of knock-offs of knock-offs....

• Reply 14 of 49
    nhughes wrote: »

FWIW, you'll gain OS X-style Command-Tab task switching with physical keyboards in iOS 9.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/12/ios-9-hardware-keyboard-shortcuts-bring-apples-ipad-world-closer-to-the-mac

I suspect the app has to be recoded to support it, because Word currently doesn't.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    nhughes wrote: »

Apple's wireless keyboard *is* its one and only iPad keyboard, currently. Why, exactly, the NYT (or its sources) said a revamped iPad keyboard, I do not know. Could mean a new wireless keyboard (as outed by the FCC), or it could mean an entirely new, iPad-specific keyboard.

The iPad has supported Bluetooth keyboards since 2010. In fact, Apple sold a keyboard dock for the first iPad. And I own and use the Logitech keyboard that's designed to look like my iPad Air (similar design, matching space gray finish). The notion that iPad "needs a keyboard" continues to fascinate me as much as the intransigence behind it. I'm sure this vocal faction will spin it as "Apple has caved to pressure" if Apple does ever sell an Apple-branded keyboard that integrates stylistically with the iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I suspect the app has to be recoded to support it, because Word currently doesn't.

It's just a keyboard task switcher baked into iOS 9, has nothing to do with the apps. Works fine with Word. I took this screenshot right now.

• Reply 17 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Carbon Fiber Sport at $299, give me that.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iPad has supported Bluetooth keyboards since 2010. In fact, Apple sold a keyboard dock for the first iPad. And I own and use the Logitech keyboard that's designed to look like my iPad Air (similar design, matching space gray finish). The notion that iPad "needs a keyboard" continues to fascinate me as much as the intransigence behind it. I'm sure this vocal faction will spin it as "Apple has caved to pressure" if Apple does ever sell an Apple-branded keyboard that integrates stylistically with the iPad.

Obviously I meant the Apple wireless keyboard is the only current Apple-built iPad keyboard. Clearly there are many of options out there, some of which I have personally reviewed for this site. I have a Brydge Air that I really like, though it does make the iPad considerably thicker and heavier.

• Reply 19 of 49
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Actually, different "Gold" versions may make sense for China. In the US, gold is often considered tacky and gaudy. In China, gold is huge whether it is real gold or gold plated or fake gold. They like to imply that they have money, not necessarily taste.

• Reply 20 of 49

And a pony. Everyone wants a pony. Apple's will look like a unicorn.