Apple installs banners, flags at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium ahead of Sept. 9 event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple is starting to dress up the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco with posters, banners and flags in preparation of a special event next week expected to include new iPhones, Apple TV hardware and more.

Source: James Martin via Twitter

As can be seen in the above photo, workers were hard at work on Friday installing posters outside the massive 7,000-seat auditorium that will serve as the stage for Apple's big "iPhone 6s" unveil. The images were captured and posted to Twitter by CNET photographer James Martin.

Apple is taking advantage of the larger venue and has strung up dark blue flags on the auditorium's flagpoles and installed banners on light posts depicting a sound wave graphic designed for the iOS 9 version of Siri. The event's tagline, "Hey Siri, give us a hint," suggests Apple's virtual assistant will figure heavily in event announcements, perhaps as a feature addition to a hotly anticipated Apple TV refresh.

Also expected for reveal are new iPhone models with Force Touch displays and upgraded cameras. Less clear is the potential release of a so-called "iPad Pro" model, which is thought to feature a 12.9-inch display and stylus input. The most recent rumors claim Apple is planning to take the wraps off a new iPad keyboard, a less expensive gold Apple Watch and new Sport Band colors.

Apple's event is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. Pacific on Sept. 9. AppleInsider will be on the scene providing live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham will deliver the keynote.

• Reply 2 of 56

Time is running out for those last minute rumors. Don't be shy. Rumors can be as ridiculous as possible.

• Reply 3 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Now, now, Sandy, you're going to confuse the kids.

• Reply 4 of 56
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Time is running out for those last minute rumors. Don't be shy. Rumors can be as ridiculous as possible.

How about this: Tim demos iPad Pro. Tim calls Wacom CEO onstage to demo Force Touch Pen on iPad Pro who then brings in CEO of Adobe to demo iPad Pro & Force Touch Pen driving a full-featured iOS version of Photoshop.

A guy can dream, right?
  • Reply 5 of 56
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

How about this: Tim demos iPad Pro. Tim calls Wacom CEO onstage to demo Force Touch Pen on iPad Pro and to announce that Apple is purchasing Wacom. They who then brings in CEO of Adobe to demo iPad Pro & Force Touch Pen driving a full-featured iOS version of Photoshop and to announce that Apple is purchasing Adobe.

A guy can dream, right?

Sorry, couldn't help myself!  :D 

• Reply 6 of 56
    polymnia wrote: »
    How about this: Tim demos iPad Pro. Tim calls Wacom CEO onstage to demo Force Touch Pen on iPad Pro who then brings in CEO of Adobe to demo iPad Pro & Force Touch Pen driving a full-featured iOS version of Photoshop.

A guy can dream, right?

what is interesting about your thoughts is that Adobe announced back at WWDC that they were integrating OSX METAL support into their creative cloud suite.. with massive improvements

So it is not unreasonable considering we can expect the event to also be the public release of iOS9 and OS X El capitan that in fact yes, the biggest demo for that will be Adobe CC

shrug, at which point if there is an iPad Pro, with a pen - then said iPad is METAL enabled and why not blow every one away with Photoshop CC Metal and a force touch stylus.

hadn't really thought about it until i read your comment but it is actually quite likely
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think Apple could announce an iDrone... after all, there have been enough clips aired of the new construction site, so maybe they were testing it all the time under, I mean above, our noses!

On the other hand, if Tim announced an iDrone on stage he'd have to be quite snappy with the presentaton... otherwise trolls would accuse him of droning on and on and on...

• Reply 8 of 56
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    what is interesting about your thoughts is that Adobe announced back at WWDC that they were integrating OSX METAL support into their creative cloud suite.. with massive improvements

So it is not unreasonable considering we can expect the event to also be the public release of iOS9 and OS X El capitan that in fact yes, the biggest demo for that will be Adobe CC

shrug, at which point if there is an iPad Pro, with a pen - then said iPad is METAL enabled and why not blow every one away with Photoshop CC Metal and a force touch stylus.

hadn't really thought about it until i read your comment but it is actually quite likely
    Wow. Most creative professionals I know are moving away from Adobe bloatware. There are some really great alternatives, except inDesign which is their best product.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    zaba wrote: »
    Wow. Most creative professionals I know are moving away from Adobe bloatware. There are some really great alternatives, except inDesign which is their best product.

I use inDesign but rarely to the fullest, mostly it is illustrator and I don't know anything quite as good for pure vector, that said it has some structural and UI annoyances and awkwardness. Tips?

I still like Photoshop, bought Pixelmator and recommend it to others who don't want to spend - it is okay but I think I am just so used to Photoshop and I have a CC license from work.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Apple is gonna announce a major product(s) for enterprise and part of the crowd will be employees from Cisco and IBM. This event will light a fire for tighter integration moving forward.

Apple is going to announce a paid commission to all registered iTunes customers to demonstrate and sell Apple products and music services to friends and relatives thus creating the largest MLM in the history of ever! Start making a list today!
  • Reply 11 of 56
    appexappex Posts: 687member

USB 3.1 type-C (reversible) port on iOS devices?

• Reply 12 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

3 guys to install one poster? Must be union workers.

• Reply 13 of 56
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I would laugh my ass off if they'd announce a Mac Pro upgrade with a new keyboard integrating a microphone/reserved key for Siri and be done with it.
  • Reply 14 of 56

Glad this appeals to someone else :)

There would probably be a follow-on benefit to the MacOS version of Photoshop. I assume a full-featured port to iOS would require lots of old code be reworked using modern libraries and legacy UI be replaced with standard components. While they are at it they may as well bring those updates to the desktop version.

Then in 2016 give illustrator the same treatment?
  • Reply 15 of 56
    zaba wrote: »

Best of luck to those pros. They wouldn't find much work in my business without adobe chops.

I imagine that an iPad pro with a Wacom tech pen and the power to run photoshop bloatware would make a pretty good setup to run svelte non-Adobe creative software even better? So a win for the anti-adobe crowd as well?
  • Reply 16 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    No, Siri will.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    zaba wrote:
    but thanks for Adobe most creative professionals you know aren't all creative professional. I personally couldn't do without the CC suite.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Best of luck to those pros. They wouldn't find much work in my business without adobe chops.

I imagine that an iPad pro with a Wacom tech pen and the power to run photoshop bloatware would make a pretty good setup to run svelte non-Adobe creative software even better? So a win for the anti-adobe crowd as well?

lymf wrote: »
    but thanks for Adobe most creative professionals you know aren't all creative professional. I personally couldn't do without the CC suite.

So what you're both saying is you're completely unadaptable and stuck in ossified ways of thinking. Do you still use Lotus 123 as well?
  • Reply 19 of 56

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

So what you're both saying is you're completely unadaptable and stuck in ossified ways of thinking. Do you still use Lotus 123 as well?

Hardly. You should be asking me if I still use Freehand or Pagemaker. When I got started in this business those were the standard Illustration and Page Layout applications respectively. I survived the switch from Freehand to Illustrator, and learned new techniques in the process. I survived the switch from Pagemaker to Quark the same way...and then the switch to InDesign.

I'm hardly against progress.

I use the industry standard software, which does change over time, I'll be happy to change once the industry changes.

I don't see anything on the horizon that gives me a compelling impulse to change or even makes me feel compelled to research what change might look like if it might be coming someday.

The way I see it there are two camps of people interested in change:

1. People who change because they hate the current standard and have a very high threshold for the pain in changing their workflow. These people want change badly. They do not feel effective using the standard tools available right now. They actively dislike what is being used now. They would use alternatives even if they are the only one in the workflow out of alignment. I will go ahead and lump the anti-adobe crowd into this category.

2. People who change because their industry is coalescing around new software. The vendors, clients and collaborators are either asking for it by name or use it in their default workflow. This camp is happy to keep using the software they have now because they feel effective, but if the industry determines it's time for something new, they go along because staying relevant is the most important consideration even if it means learning new software and techniques. I'll put myself in this camp.

In summary, I don't care to be characterized as inflexible or some kind of dinosaur. I'm a freelancer who takes pride in my adaptability and ability to step into new situations and workflows while staying productive. Show me a client, vendor or collaborator who needs me to work in some other software and I'll show you willingness and enthusiasm to learn it. A compelling reason to switch needs more substance than "It's not Adobe" to be relevant to me.

• Reply 20 of 56
    zabazaba Posts: 226member

I'm talking about freelance pros, we can't replace inDesign, but everything that feeds in to it can be replaced in a production environment (for most work). I've grown up on Adobe products, or should I say Aldus and macromedia. I always hated illustrator and always used freehand until it's demise. Jumped from quark to inDesign when quark took too long to support os x. I've been in the industry for 28 years, you need to open your mind, it's not the software it's the person that is the creative, these are just tools.