mac pro is discontinued.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2015

http://architosh.com/2015/09/apples-latest-mac-family-portrait-missing-mac-pro/

DAMN!!!! sorry, i need to throw a tantrum on them...

damn you apple!.  Ahem....well..

Apparently, mac pro is no more.  I don't know the alternative to mac pro when editing and all that....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

Apparently, mac pro is no more.  I don't know the alternative to mac pro when editing and all that....

Puzzled I thought they came out with a new mac pro several months ago that looks like a cylinder shape.

• Reply 2 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    koban4max wrote: »

Why would you post such complete and utter nonsense when a quick visit to the Apple website shows that it is clearly not true?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    marvfox wrote: »
    I thought they came out with a new mac pro several months ago that looks like a cylinder shape.

It was a bit longer than several months, it'll be two years this December. They can't update it with anything worthwhile until Broadwell-EP. Intel might get these chips out before the end of the year:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-to-release-22-core-xeon-e5-v4-broadwell-ep-late-in-2015-company/
    http://wccftech.com/intel-assures-broadwell-ep-xeon-e52600-v4-processors-q4-15-feature-22-cores-44-threads/

but it could be early 2016. It says there they go up to 22-core but I would expect 18-core maximum for the chips suitable for the Mac Pro. DDR4 memory so at least 2x the 128GB that can go in the current model. AMD R9 GPUs up to 2x the performance with 16GB video memory, TB3 40Gbps so 6x 4K displays, 10Gbps ethernet, up to 2TB SSD @2-3GB/s.

There's not enough improvement in Intel's nor GPU manufacturers' hardware to upgrade the Mac Pro every year any more. December 2015 would be a possible upgrade time.

It's not a model that appeals to a wide audience so it doesn't need to go beside consumer models in comparison photos. It's on the comparison page ( http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/ ) but they clearly order the models by popularity from top to bottom.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

It should be upgraded this fall, since Apple will move quickly to mainstream Thunderbolt 3.

The question is, will the Mac Pro upgrade be ready in October, when the iMacs are likely to get their spec bump?

Even if they aren't ready, Apple should probably pre-announce the coming upgrade, since a number of business and education clients will be looking to upgrade this fall and might buy an 8K iMac when they would really prefer the new Pro.

If the Pro's margins are higher than the iMac, it makes sense not to take sales away from your most profitable line of computers.

• Reply 5 of 17
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Why would you post such complete and utter nonsense when a quick visit to the Apple website shows that it is clearly not true?

The original post is a bit dramatic, but if they are cancelling it, they'll announce that with the next event. They did that with the Xserve. Basically they aren't going to remove the ability to buy one without some amount of notice, although it could be a short notice. I disagree with Marvin on this one. Haswell EP showed some improvements, and it contains a full line. Haswell and Broadwell use the same chipset, so a switch from Haswell->Broadwell should require minimal work compared to Ivy -> Haswell or Broadwell. It starts higher than the previous model, and thunderbolt peripherals tend to be somewhat more expensive + less prevalent than other types. I suspect that hasn't led to well sustained sales there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It should be upgraded this fall, since Apple will move quickly to mainstream Thunderbolt 3.

The question is, will the Mac Pro upgrade be ready in October, when the iMacs are likely to get their spec bump?

Even if they aren't ready, Apple should probably pre-announce the coming upgrade, since a number of business and education clients will be looking to upgrade this fall and might buy an 8K iMac when they would really prefer the new Pro.

If the Pro's margins are higher than the iMac, it makes sense not to take sales away from your most profitable line of computers.

There isn't any sign of an 8K imac in the near future. They went with doubling everything on every display upgrade up to this point. I see no reason why they would change from that pattern. Upgrading the 21.5" to 4K would use the same formula. 

• Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

hmm..it's probably not a nonsense...but more of speculation.  POINT TO ME WHERE?  OTHER THAN SHOP>  This is about the future of mac.

• Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The original post is a bit dramatic, but if they are cancelling it, they'll announce that with the next event. They did that with the Xserve. Basically they aren't going to remove the ability to buy one without some amount of notice, although it could be a short notice. I disagree with Marvin on this one. Haswell EP showed some improvements, and it contains a full line. Haswell and Broadwell use the same chipset, so a switch from Haswell->Broadwell should require minimal work compared to Ivy -> Haswell or Broadwell. It starts higher than the previous model, and thunderbolt peripherals tend to be somewhat more expensive + less prevalent than other types. I suspect that hasn't led to well sustained sales there.

There isn't any sign of an 8K imac in the near future. They went with doubling everything on every display upgrade up to this point. I see no reason why they would change from that pattern. Upgrading the 21.5" to 4K would use the same formula. 

Sorry, i was over-reacting. ahem... just hearing about ticks me off.

• Reply 8 of 17

hmm..it's probably not a nonsense...but more of speculation.  POINT TO ME WHERE?  OTHER THAN SHOP>  This is about the future of mac.

The kindest thing that can be said about the architosh.com piece is that it is misinformation. You are the one who chose to share the misinformation. You let on that the story was credible enough to throw a tantrum over.

The architosh.com piece was entirely too easy to check to post without checking it. It was entirely too easy to say something like: "Hey look what Architosh.com is saying about the Mac Pro!" No, you chose to represent the story as true. Now live with the consequences.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

The kindest thing that can be said about the architosh.com piece is that it is misinformation. You are the one who chose to share the misinformation. You let on that the story was credible enough to throw a tantrum over.

The architosh.com piece was entirely too easy to check to post without checking it. It was entirely too easy to say something like: "Hey look what Architosh.com is saying about the Mac Pro!" No, you chose to represent the story as true. Now live with the consequences.

there is no consequences.  First of all, it wasn't something that actually happened yet.  Secondly, it was speculation...but very good speculation.  If you knew the history...maybe you would understand...rather than denying it completely. Sure, i over-reacted, still, the article did bring up an interesting story.  Now if you didn't agree, you didn't have to respond.  that's all.

• Reply 10 of 17
    there is no consequences.  First of all, it wasn't something that actually happened yet.  Secondly, it was speculation...but very good speculation.  If you knew the history...maybe you would understand...rather than denying it completely. Sure, i over-reacted, still, the article did bring up an interesting story.  Now if you didn't agree, you didn't have to respond.  that's all.

No good is served by misinformation. Calling it "speculation" after you are called on does not change the fact it is misinformation. Calling it "very good speculation" means that you are trying have it both ways.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

No good is served by misinformation. Calling it "speculation" after you are called on does not change the fact it is misinformation. Calling it "very good speculation" means that you are trying have it both ways.

first of all, I don't know much about that site.  Apparently, there were few people who mentioned this website with very good speculation...or reasoning for discontinuing Mac Pro.  That's why I shared this under hardware section.  AGAIN...call it how you want, but if you don't agree, you can simply NOT RESPOND.  Simple as that. Thanks!

• Reply 12 of 17
    Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

First of all, it wasnt something that actually happened yet.

Then don’t make the title of the thread a declaratory sentence.

Secondly, it was speculation...but very good speculation.

[citation needed]

If you knew the history...maybe you would understand

You mean the history which includes a COMPLETE REDESIGN within the last two years?

Sure, i over-reacted

Thanks for admitting it; thread’s over.

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

AGAIN...call it how you want, but if you don't agree, you can simply NOT RESPOND.

Don’t post incorrect things if you don’t want people to respond to them.

• Reply 13 of 17
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did decide to discontinue the Mac Pro though.

• Reply 14 of 17

Click bait, I know, and discussed thoroughly elsewhere, but let's go through the article, just to make it clear to the many non-regular readers surfing through here today what this is about.

First, architosh seeks to address a large niche audience that is certainly interested in the Mac Pro. So in theory it could be legit. But a closer look shows it is basically a one-man blog. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it pretends to be something more.

Just look at the first sentence. He says the lack of a Mac Pro in the photo is either an "oversight" or a sign of "significant change." The idea that it could be an oversight is absurd on the face of it. Apple does not make that kind of mistake. So forget that.

He also fails to point out that the photo does not show both iMac sizes. Following his logic, Apple must be discontinuing the 21" iMac as well!

Then he goes on to suggest there is "mounting evidence" for the idea that there is something "concerning" about the "omission." What is this evidence? An "insider who claimed to be in the know" and the author's having walked around a commercial exhibition that is focused on computer graphics and interactive techniques: http://s2015.siggraph.org

The "insider," of course, is just claiming the obvious. If true, as is likely, it actually means the opposite of what the author thinks -- it means the basic Mac Pro design is not changing. Apple doesn't need a full new-product development team to decide how to integrate Intel's new chips and whatnot. Indeed, the plans for that are undoubtedly already in place, and have been for some time.

He counted five Mac Pros being used by exhibitors at the LA show, fewer than those he remembers from the past. He doesn't tell us how many iMacs, only that there were more than the Mac Pros. And he doesn't account for the fact that the 5K iMac is not yet matched by the Thunderbolt Display. So vendors who want to feature Apple hardware but also want their graphics to look as sharp as possible are going to choose the iMac 5K for that purpose. What they are using for display at a trade show tells us nothing about what they are using for their software development. Plus, developers aren't the actual target. They are a niche within a niche. The real target is architects and other professions that use 3D modeling -- the film industry, for example. End users.

• Reply 15 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

And he doesn't account for the fact that the 5K iMac is not yet matched by the Thunderbolt Display. So vendors who want to feature Apple hardware but also want their graphics to look as sharp as possible are going to choose the iMac 5K for that purpose.

Apple has done some dumb things before, but they're not crazy enough to 'accidentally' forget to make a display for the Mac Pro.

The tech wasn't ready, and now with TB3, Skylake, 5K and higher display possibilities, a 4K mass market phone and updated HDMI, the pieces are all there for the picking. Apple's not killing the Pro line without one serious attempt at selling a complete Pro system.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Apple has done some dumb things before, but they're not crazy enough to 'accidentally' forget to make a display for the Mac Pro.

Yes, agree. TB 3, etc. I hope that came across in the "yet" ... I was just pointing out the reality faced by someone wanting a 5K Apple-branded display right now for their booth. The iMac is the only choice.

• Reply 17 of 17

The biggest (only?) problem with Thunderbolt is that it will never really be adopted for video since it can’t be added to graphics cards. It HAS to be on the logic board, and so it’s limited to integrated graphics.

I won’t be able to get a retina display until I update my Mac Pro, and I don’t see that happening for a decade or so. I could have had a Thunderbolt on the GTX 980 I just installed, but no~... :p