Apple installs banners, flags at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium ahead of Sept. 9 event

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Wow. Most creative professionals I know are moving away from Adobe bloatware. There are some really great alternatives, except inDesign which is their best product.

You know what drives me FUCKING bonkers about CC? Not that you asked, but Why, in the name of all that is sane and reasonable, can't they just get all the tools that are the same across, at least the big three, to ACT and WORK the SAME in ALL THREE APPS. Is that too much to ask? Hell it took them two or three releases to even get the Convert Direction Point tool into InDesign, and even then it wasn't in the same place as it was in Illustrator until CS5 I think. Oh, and by the way Adobe, thanks for moving the Artboard tools to a mysterious new location for no reason, that was pretty cool. 

I can't figure out why so many people are looking for alternatives to CC /s 

And yes, InDesign is their best product afaic.

• Reply 42 of 56
    indyfx wrote: »

In my business (I own a post facility) we are required to excel and to constantly surpass what we have done before. So I ask for excellence from my employees. Perhaps just getting by is ok for whatever industry your company is in. If so, I truly feel sad for you.

here, man, let me give you a gold star. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 43 of 56
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

You know what drives me FUCKING bonkers about CC? Not that you asked, but Why, in the name of all that is sane and reasonable, can't they just get all the tools that are the same across, at least the big three, to ACT and WORK the SAME in ALL THREE APPS. Is that too much to ask? Hell it took them two or three releases to even get the Convert Direction Point tool into InDesign, and even then it wasn't in the same place as it was in Illustrator until CS5 I think. Oh, and by the way Adobe, thanks for moving the Artboard tools to a mysterious new location for no reason, that was pretty cool. 

I can't figure out why so many people are looking for alternatives to CC /s 

And yes, InDesign is their best product afaic.

Well, there is the fact that they all started life with much less overlapping capabilities. So as they grew organically certain keyboard shortcuts were already spoken for as a feature from one application moved to another.

These were not designed from the ground up to work together, that is something that has just happened over time.

The keyboard shortcuts ARE completely user customizable and these customizations are easy to save to a settings file and load into the application if you have an idea that works better for you.

In fact, it is possible to assign shortcuts to commands that don't have shortcuts at all by default. The sky is really the limit when it comes to customizing shortcuts.

• Reply 44 of 56
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Well, there is the fact that they all started life with much less overlapping capabilities. So as they grew organically certain keyboard shortcuts were already spoken for as a feature from one application moved to another.

These were not designed from the ground up to work together, that is something that has just happened over time.

The keyboard shortcuts ARE completely user customizable and these customizations are easy to save to a settings file and load into the application if you have an idea that works better for you.

In fact, it is possible to assign shortcuts to commands that don't have shortcuts at all by default. The sky is really the limit when it comes to customizing shortcuts.

That's true, and as long as I've been doing graphics work I should probably start getting into creating shortcuts, but how hard would it really be to get at least most of the shortcuts aligned? I mean really. But it goes deeper than just shortcuts. 

Exhibit A: Paths.

• Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

That's true, and as long as I've been doing graphics work I should probably start getting into creating shortcuts, but how hard would it really be to get at least most of the shortcuts aligned? I mean really. But it goes deeper than just shortcuts. 

Exhibit A: Paths.

It wouldn't be hard to accomplish what you are asking from a technical standpoint. The tough thing would be dealing with people asking questions similar to your comment about the random moving of the Artboard tools. Why did the shortcut change for no good reason?

I have never delved into custom shortcuts myself, either. I seem to manage okay just hacking my way through the default ones, but I've worked with people who are total nerds for their shortcuts! Its a little OCD for me, but hey, my pet peeve is how my palettes hop around as I move my MacBook Pro from docked with a 27" screen to stand-alone.

• Reply 46 of 56
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member

Wallet ready and waiting.

• Reply 47 of 56
    lymflymf Posts: 65member

So what you're both saying is you're completely unadaptable and stuck in ossified ways of thinking. Do you still use Lotus 123 as well?
    Well when you start an answer by criticising your opponent, it does show quickly that you have no argument.

I've never said that there were no other tool available to replace each product of the Adobe CC, but find me one alternative that keeps the workflow between image editing, video editing, web inclusion, vectors, and page layout. For cheaper? I'm not saying it'll never come and when it is there for real (I don't have time to go through the hassle of buying 6-7 new softwares rom 4-5 different editors to in the end not be able to fully collaborate with others and in between softwares), I will look at the possibilities.

In the mean time, don't call me a fossil. We have different opinions. Working with something else than Adobe is good for you. Great. Not for every one. Period.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    I think they might be opening up Siri to third party developers. I've been hoping for that for a couple of years now.
  • Reply 49 of 56

Quote:

I think they might be opening up Siri to third party developers. I've been hoping for that for a couple of years now.

That's good news. If Apple won't do it, I'd love to see someone create a Siri for kids, perhaps even an age-aware one.

For instance, ask Siri "Show me a Kitty" see what you get. It varies, but it isn't what a four-year-old would want.

Extending Sir in other directions would also make sense. For instance, imagine a Siri that handles only medical questions and is designed specifically for doctors or nurses.

T

• Reply 50 of 56

How about Siri control of Sonos systems? One could argue Sonos is the most mature, mass market home automation product. Sure would be nice to request a song or playlist without poking through the App.

The only problem I see is how complex the music sources are in Sonos: Library, Streaming Service, Individual Devices. Not to mention the Queue…

But hey, great design makes the complex simple!

• Reply 51 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

then brings in CEO of Adobe to demo iPad Pro & Force Touch Pen driving a full-featured iOS version of Photoshop and to announce that Apple is purchasing Adobe.” Then Tim announces that all Flash development is being shut down immediately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Sorry, couldn't help myself!  :D 

There, I fixed it for you.

• Reply 52 of 56
    lkrupp wrote: »
    There, I fixed it for you.

Not that long ago, the trolls and competitors were using Flash to bash Apple. They made their deal with the devil (Flash) and now they don't want their reward?
  • Reply 53 of 56
    I knew some of you, in the absence of creativity and vision, would simply wish Apple to turn the iPad into a Windows Tablet PC, USB ports, warts and all. I booted a PC for work and waited for some 20 minutes as Windows Update downloaded and applied patch after patch, then rebooted to finish installing patches, then Adobe Flash had an update, then Norton antivirus went through its virus definition update and scan, then said my computer needed "performance optimizations" and proceeded to defray my C:\ drive.

During this whole time, I was using my iPad, a Bluetooth keyboard and a VPN connection to the office servers.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:

How about this: Tim demos iPad Pro. Tim calls Wacom CEO onstage to demo Force Touch Pen on iPad Pro who then brings in CEO of Adobe to demo iPad Pro & Force Touch Pen driving a full-featured iOS version of Photoshop.

A guy can dream, right?

So Apple developed their own tech for the Pen (and decided to call it a pencil). Even though the pen(cil) only does pressure and tilt (no rotation) these are the main two input axes for the work I do. Perhaps they are saving for an upgrade pen, like Wacom does with their upgrade 'Art Pen' that adds barrel rotation as a data axis, the iBrush name could be used for that pen…And the Adobe demo wasn't the full version of Photoshop, but I am pretty happy with how the iPad Pro panned out.

iPad Pro with iPencil is one of the first products I can think of in quite some time that I am ready to buy on launch day!\

So happy :)

• Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

So Apple developed their own tech for the Pen (and decided to call it a pencil). Even though the pen(cil) only does pressure and tilt (no rotation) these are the main two input axes for the work I do. Perhaps they are saving for an upgrade pen, like Wacom does with their upgrade 'Art Pen' that adds barrel rotation as a data axis, the iBrush name could be used for that pen…And the Adobe demo wasn't the full version of Photoshop, but I am pretty happy with how the iPad Pro panned out.

iPad Pro with iPencil is one of the first products I can think of in quite some time that I am ready to buy on launch day!\

So happy :)

"only does pressure and tilt (no rotation)"

From what I have seen it does sense tilt & rotation (orientation) but not barrel rotation (which IMHO is an iffy "created", tech feature- looking for a reasonable use, kind of thing anyway. (I have never in my wildest dreams wanted to use barrel rotation)

Also we need to keep in mind the surface doesn't do tilt at all  (...which makes it not a very good profesional graphics machine...) ;;-)