Apple planning 2016 'iPhone 7' to be thinnest yet, in-line with new iPod touch & iPad Air 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
While all eyes are on this week's "iPhone 6s" unveiling, Apple's 2016 iPhone upgrade is already in the works, with the company said to be aiming to make the device as thin as 6 millimeters, which would be even thinner than the latest iPod touch and iPad Air 2.

Apple iPhone 7 concept by Yasser Farahi.

Details on next year's so-called "iPhone 7" upgrade were shared by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities in a note to investors on Sunday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. His sources indicated Apple is planning to make the new iPhone between 6.0 and 6.5 millimeters thick.

If accurate, that would put the "iPhone 7" in line with Apple's current iPod touch and iPad Air 2, both of which are just 6.1 millimeters thick. In contrast, the current iPhone 6 is 6.9 millimeters thick, and new 7000 series aluminum on the "iPhone 6s" are expected to make that device just over 7 millimeters thick.
Apple is said to be aiming to make the "iPhone 7" 6-6.5mm thick. The iPhone 6 is 6.9mm.
The thinness of the next-generation iPhone will likely leave Apple using the same technology to power Force Touch in its 2016 iPhone upgrade, according to Kuo. The "iPhone 6s" is expected to enable pressure sensitive input on its display via flexible printed circuit board technology.

In the long run, Kuo believes Apple would like to switch to a glass-on-glass solution for Force Touch sensing, especially if iPhone displays become even higher resolution. But that may not be in the cards within the next few years, as current glass-on-glass solutions would not allow Apple to achieve a 6-millimeter-thin iPhone, he said on Sunday.

"Apple and its suppliers have invested heavily in iPhone Force Touch in 2015 and we believe 2016 new models will stick with a similar Force Touch structure as used in 2015," he wrote.

Kuo said nothing else on Apple's anticipated "iPhone 7," though it's widely expected that next year's update will introduce a new chassis to differentiate from the iPhone 6 series. Apple has historically redesigned its iPhone every two years, and introduced an "s" upgrade with largely identical appearance to its predecessor in the years in between.

That's what's expected to be unveiled this Wednesday, when Apple is likely to showcase an "iPhone 6s" with a chassis that appears very similar to the iPhone 6. The most significant upgrades will be internally, in the form of Force Touch input, a faster "A9" processor, 2 gigabytes of RAM, and higher resolution cameras.

In terms of external tweaks, Apple is expected to unveil a new rose gold color option, joining space gray, white, and gold. And the device is expected to sport the same series 7000 aluminum found in the Apple Watch, which should improve durability of the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 183
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I just look at it as...most people use cases. So the thinner the iPhone gets, the thinner your iPhone + Case can be.

• Reply 2 of 183
    I am not really sure my phone needs to get any thinner, I would prefer it have a bigger battery than being thinner, perfectly happy with my iphone 5s, could apple fit a much bigger battery in a phone that was as thick as this compared to what this articles suggests the 7 would be... I would prefer that.

I have a 5s and at no point have I ever thought, wow I wish my phone was thinner, but plenty of times I am running low on battery and wish it was longer or I am away from an electric supply and am already thinking about using it more strategically.
  • Reply 3 of 183
    If I could have one wish for the iPhone it wouldn't be for it to be thinner, it would be some way to make the antennas better in low cell service areas. Wifi calling is great, but does one little good if you need to call a tow truck in an area with practically no cell service. No idea how they'd do it, but those outside the city would greatly appreciate it.
  • Reply 4 of 183
    If I could have one wish for the iPhone it wouldn't be for it to be thinner, it would be some way to make the antennas better in low cell service areas. Wifi calling is great, but does one little good if you need to call a tow truck in an area with practically no cell service. No idea how they'd do it, but those outside the city would greatly appreciate it.

Don't use Sprint or T-Mobile then.

Really, though, Apple's going to have to get off the thin train eventually. They already went arguably too far with the new MacBook, which defeats the purpose of the aluminum unibody by compromising stiffness.
  • Reply 5 of 183
    Thinner is better for me. I like the 4,7" size but it's features are substandard to the +.

If the new 6S has a 1080p quality screen; I will upgrade! Otherwise, I will hold on to my +.
  • Reply 6 of 183
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The 6 is a great screen to use, but a little hard to slip in and out of some pockets (especially since I use a case). Whish is worth it, to me... but make it thinner? That would help! Not to mention look/feel pretty cool. And the battery life is already overkill (for me).

Add in the Watch-style stronger types of aluminum, and I can well believe it. Do we think phones will still be ~8mm in 5 years? 10? Progress moves on!
  • Reply 7 of 183
    By the way, what does this year's "s" stand for?
  • Reply 8 of 183
    Agreed on the thickness. I have no desire for a thinner phone. I was perfectly content with the 4 & 5's thickness. I bought my son the new iPod touch and I find it too thin for my taste. But, that's just my opinion. For me, I'd take a new phone that sports a bigger battery over being thin for the sake of being thin.
  • Reply 9 of 183

Considering the CAMERA is what limits how thin the phone can be, unless you want a major bump, I can't really see the phone going that much thinner (unless there is a new tech that bypasses physics I don't know about).

Seems our bozo "analyst" forgot about the camera.

Also... That sounds like another of Kuo shit in the dark guesses... Maybe one of those turds will hit the mark accidentally if anough are dumped... (sic) during the year.

• Reply 10 of 183
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    USB 3.1 type-C (reversible)?
  • Reply 11 of 183
    Can't we get the 2015 announced before we start getting rumours, especially obvious one, about a 2016 iPhone, or why we don't just lay it down now that the 2017 will have the same look and feel of the 2016 model and the 2018 model will be thinner or smaller in some way than the 2016 model, etc.
  • Reply 12 of 183
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The 6S isn't announced yet and he's predicting the 7? Why stop there, what about the 8?!
  • Reply 13 of 183
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    harry wild wrote: »
    Thinner is better for me. I like the 4,7" size but it's features are substandard to the +.

If the new 6S has a 1080p quality screen; I will upgrade! Otherwise, I will hold on to my +.
    Go to Samsung if you need more than retina display on a 4.7" screen. It does nothing better but drains more battery.
    Btw, I believe I read your same comment in another thread or forum where people already addressed your lacking knowledge of screen resolution.
  • Reply 14 of 183

Do this to Apple Watch.

• Reply 15 of 183
    This was pretty much a garantee, an to be honest I've settled with happy being at the current 7-8 mm range, but in a world Opo makes 5mm thick phones, it will always be the iPhone vs Galaxy S for thinnest of the year, which doesn't hurt if they can squeeze decent size batteries in(like the 6+).
  • Reply 16 of 183
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Go to Samsung if you need more than retina display on a 4.7" screen. It does nothing better but drains more battery.

Shouldn't it also slow down performance?
  • Reply 17 of 183
    harry wild wrote: »

The 6 really isn't substandard. The camera may not have OIS but the screen is still the same PPI, it's faster in most benchmarks, and it's thinner than the Plus.
    By the way, what does this year's "s" stand for?

Speed, Siri, Security, perhaps Sensing or something to represent 3D Touch? Strength for the new alloy?
  • Reply 18 of 183

Yes, which is why the 6+ is slower than the 6. Same reason the iPad 3 really isn't that much faster than the 2, the extra CPU and GPU power is consumed by the Retina display.
  • Reply 19 of 183
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Don't use Sprint or T-Mobile then.

Really, though, Apple's going to have to get off the thin train eventually. They already went arguably too far with the new MacBook, which defeats the purpose of the aluminum unibody by compromising stiffness.

They can't go bigger, so what else can they do?
  • Reply 20 of 183
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    that too.