Apple planning 2016 'iPhone 7' to be thinnest yet, in-line with new iPod touch & iPad Air 2

Comments

• Reply 121 of 183
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

6mm seems good, I am not sure I want it any thinner though since it will be a little awkward i presume, and I dont want the camera stocking out.  I definitely want it lighter though.

Apple Watch do needs to get A LOT thinner.

• Reply 122 of 183
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I can't begin to imagine the world you live in where you see a single test by single person to claim something like "most accurate display ever made." Did he say that? If so, his credintonlas are even more specious. The best you could say is "I believe it's the most accurate display ever made" or "This is the most accurate display he's tested." That's it!

I'll ask you, do you really think think this mass produced, consumer display is the "most accurate display ever made"?

No I don't think it's the most accurate display ever made, just the most accurate put into a mobile device. Forgive my omission of that distinction. I didn't realize there would be confusion that the scope of my comment was limited to mobile devices.
  • Reply 123 of 183
    ksec wrote: »
    Apple Watch do needs to get A LOT thinner.

I agree, and yet if you gave me a "survey" about more wanting more battery life in my Apple Watch, with no other information or details given about how this miracle was to be achieved, I would say 'Yes' but if you then suggest that to do that the device would have to thicker than it is right now I would then say 'No'. Furthermore, I wouldn't want to make it thinner right now at the expense of battery life. It's certainly a good enough balance in thickness and battery life right now (which [@]tenly[/@] so weirdly can't grasp).
  • Reply 124 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's not an "s"... it's a symbol that means "hope". /s

And, as Amy Adam's drawls - "here, it's an ass"!

• Reply 125 of 183

I want a user replaceable battery on the iPhone.  /s

• Reply 126 of 183
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Okay, so it's going to be thinner. What else?
  • Reply 127 of 183
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

USB 3.1 type-C (reversible)?

Yes! What? It´s 2015 and usb 2.0?!?!

• Reply 128 of 183
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    I would rather have fatter iPhone with longer battery life and better camera, then to have a fancy slim phone that you can hardly hold...
  • Reply 129 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Proven right?

By some lame ass survey?

Hell no. Apple knows better than these dumb asses doing a survey.

Sure everyone wants longer battery life......but not at the expense of having a ugly phone. If people real priority was longer battery life more people would buy battery cases. But they dont.

Its easy to say that Apple should just keep the same thickness or go thicker. That is pure stupidity. Tech and design keeps going forward. If Apple kept the iPhone5 thickness for the iPhone6 it would look clownish compared to Samsung S6. Thin and fresh design is needed for Apple to continue to stay on top.

Some of the surveys have to do with what the average consumer wants. If the rumors are true the 6s will be slightly thicker due to the force touch module. Also if phones are going to get even thinner then we need phones are are more durable so we don't have to put a case on them which completely counters the phone being thin. 

People don't buy a battery case because then it make the phone too thick. If Apple is going to make the thinnest phone yet in 2016 not only does it have to be thinner then 2015 it also has to be thinner then 2014 because we are going up in size. Just don't see that happening. 

The fact that the phone will be slightly thicker this year shows that Apple and others have hit a wall when it comes to how thin they can make a phone.

• Reply 130 of 183
    The thread is getting longer and longer and I don't recall who said this thing about "be careful about what you wish for".
    All these wishes come from - what over here we call a pony farm, meaning you can wish for whatever you like. So I don't want a replaceable battery. I don't want for sure a bigger and heavier phone (it should feel good in the hand, that's what weight should be all about), and size usually refers to screen size and I find myself in land of compromise of the 6's screen estate and the lesser usability when compared to the 5.
    I don't want to refuel my phone weekly with hydrogen or whatever. In fact I do t want to have to charge it consciously at all. I want that this phone is always charged. Getting energy from the sun, the table at Starbucks, some other wireless way of hanging it through my desk, or whatever. I don't think that battery tech will any time soon come up with a breakthrough that will deliver double, triple, leave alone 10 -gold the energy in today's or smaller packaging. Same for energy consumption of the components the battery has to power. Therefore, the one route I wish for is making charging kind of omnipresent and without any conscious action taken from my end.

Now assuming this is solved would I want some kind of brick? Something foldable? Implants?
    To be consequent, implants would be the way to go - provided they are safe, don't mess with my insides, and are easy to maintain by lasting decades eg. That's would mean I don't have to carry around anything extra. We're not in cyberpunk land by decades I guess and when it comes I'm sure it actually WILL have safety and health issues :) so secit me best would be something very very light with expandable display (projection or slide out).
  • Reply 131 of 183
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Some of the surveys have to do with what the average consumer wants. If the rumors are true the 6s will be slightly thicker due to the force touch module. Also if phones are going to get even thinner then we need phones are are more durable so we don't have to put a case on them which completely counters the phone being thin. 

People don't buy a battery case because then it make the phone too thick. If Apple is going to make the thinnest phone yet in 2016 not only does it have to be thinner then 2015 it also has to be thinner then 2014 because we are going up in size. Just don't see that happening. 

The fact that the phone will be slightly thicker this year shows that Apple and others have hit a wall when it comes to how thin they can make a phone.

For the record, the iPhone is rumored to be 0.2 mm thicker, or 0.008 inch, due to Force Touch technology. The "wall" is closer to 6 mm in the near term, so Apple has a ways to go to thin.

As for the so called surveys; it would be better to ask what the consumer wants and what they would be willing to give up or tradeoff to get it.

Satisfied car owners still ask for better mileage. Satisfied smartphone owners want better battery life. What would they tradeoff to get that?

Performance, screen size, screen resolution, weight, thickness, damage tolerance?

This is the reason that I put so little regard to these casual surveys; these surveys don't actually glean any useful information, and they aren't any indication of what is important to the buyer at the time of purchase.

People say they will tradeoff thickness and weight for better battery life, but when it comes time to purchase, battery life is almost never the primary consideration. By all accounts, it would appear that Apple has made a very balanced iPhone 6 Plus with notable battery life.

• Reply 132 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Not sure more antennas are going to help in those cases. The problem lies in the wireless carriers who choose to ignore less densely populated, less profitable areas when building out their networks. They should just turn wireless carriers and ISPs into public utilities.

I was thinking outside the box, to do something that no other cellphone maker does.  Why not make one with different integrated radios entirely for use in the US (due to regulations and such) that isn't densely populated.  Take for instance HAM radios.  Couldn't it be possible to score a bit of that bandwidth for iPhone use in remote areas?  I'm not saying that's possible, I'm just trying to think outside the box.  Everyone tells me to get a sat-phone and just be done with it.  Now if only Apple would make one of those that's ruggedized!  There are those of us who love the iPhone but don't love it's leash on populated centers.  I'd love to see them do something absolutely no one else is doing by incorporating those other radios into the works.  I'm sure they could get the FCC to see their way given their sway.  There's my two cents, which isn't worth much these days.  

• Reply 133 of 183

No, if anyone at Apple is reading this forum, please don't make it even thinner. It already feels like a flimsy bar of aluminum soap as it is, not to mention the unsightly camera bump. Even thinner and it will be cause for serious structural integrity concerns. 

If Johnny Ive is so fixated on making something thinner, he can start with the bezels surrounding the screen and leave the girth of the device alone. 

• Reply 134 of 183
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    I bet it will be faster, too. Probably 'the best iPhone yet'.
    Honestly, only analysts are stupid enough to speculate about not the next unreleased phone, but even the one following that.
  • Reply 135 of 183
    The "thinest yet".... so the madness continues. Those who don't have the talent to make something unique and attractive make it thin.

Apple's design teams also doesn't know how to make its products:

1. More rugged, hence all the case we add. Why not a sports model of the iPhone?

2. Longer battery life, hence all the add-on power packs. Why not an extended life model?

3. Better antenna, hence the often lousy coverage. Why wrap everything in aluminum like pop cans.

4. More serviceable, particularly with the laptops. One problem shouldn't make an expensive device worthless.

5. Better i/o. More ports for laptops. More support for USB devices with the iPhone. Why do we have to carry along so much clutter?

Like I said, Apple's design teams can't do anything but thin, thin, and thin. This is getting tiresome.
  • Reply 136 of 183

"The 6 Plus, you get a higher resolution display in comparison the 6. The iPhone 6 Plus features a full HD 1080p screen and offers a 401PPI pixel density to deliver the exceptional clarity. The iPhone 6 has a 1334 x 750 resolution screen with a 326ppi pixel density. Hands down, the The 6 Plus has the sharper display but that's not to say that the one on the 6 is bad." 

From: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/iphone-6-vs-iphone-6-plus

• Reply 137 of 183
    The screen will still crack if you drop it face down. You don't see that test on Apple's site.They bend it, drop it on its SIDE. Please.
  • Reply 138 of 183
    solipsismy wrote: »
    A lot of them, but I think there are several that are just too stupid to see the difference between the term "larger battery" and "longer usage per charge," no matter how many times it's spelled out for them.

I'm not speaking for the others but perhaps they are not conveying their wish properly. I feel that the battery life is more than adequate when used reasonably. Power users (like my 400 texts/50 Instagram selfies-per-day daughter) long for more battery life but I feel they are the exception to the norm and shouldn't be catered to. What I do find is after about 8 months of daily, reasonable use and charging nightly (~250 charge cycles), the capacity of the battery starts to noticeably diminish. If battery tech can develop so the capacity can remain constant for a longer period of time, there would be much less cries for more battery life (a larger battery).

In my experience, people complain a lot less about their usage life in the first half of time during their ownership than in the middle or towards the end, depending upon whether they're 1 year or 2 year upgraders. And I know a lot of iPhone users. This is the main reason 2 of my friends protect their iPhones like it's their first newborn; they sell on eBay and easily get over half of their original purchase price, which they put towards purchasing their next "newborn". Some of these guys actually pocket money because they're getting more for their used phone than what remains to be paid off on their (AT&T Value) phone plan.
  • Reply 139 of 183
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Sturdy

You nailed it.  New alloy, baby!

• Reply 140 of 183

Take the iPhone and add less thickness. Th-innovation!