How to recover lost partition on Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2015

I've lost my partition due to hard drive crash, please help me to find a way to recover it. I'm not really good in computers BTW, so I need a simple way. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    What exactly happened, and what exactly did you do after that?
  • Reply 2 of 5

I was watching a movie and suddenly the image froze, while the audio kept playing for a while. No response. Force-quitting didn’t get me far, either. The Mac quickly became unresponsive, so I forced a reboot. A message warned that the computer would restart due to a problem. The drive was evidently gone. I think it was something like virus…But I don't need that drive, I need my critical files back. 

• Reply 3 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If your computer is older and has a hard drive in it, the hard drive may have worn out. They can break at any time but more likely in older machines. If you put your ear up close to the machine when turning it on and you hear a clunking noise like a marble being dropped on a table or a repeating clicking, the hard drive is mechanically broken and won't be recoverable easily.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    I'm confused.

So your Mac is still booting up, but the particular hard drive your data is on will no longer mount?

So you're talking about an external hard drive here?

Does it show up in Disk Utility?

Does it show up in the System Profiler?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    briensmith43,

You have 2 options to do it:-  

•    Either manually

•    Or using software

I hope you have a time machine backup available of your complete data. You should rebuild your partition and reinstall your Mac OS X and transfer your files data back via a Time machine.

Alternatively, you can use Partition Manager Recovery software which has in-built functionality to recover the deleted Mac partition.