Alleged 'iPhone 6s' boxes claim to show new rose gold color, 16GB entry-level storage

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
An image claiming to show the retail box for Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6s" could give fans their first glimpse at the new rose gold color option that is rumored to become part of the product lineup.

Photo via Techtastic.

Dutch website Techtastic received images of the box, matching up with an earlier leak, but in somewhat higher resolution. The site claims the box shows a new rose gold iPhone shade, though it is difficult to tell given that the damaged product packaging primarily shows the white glass front of the handset.

As with the previous leak, the iPhone is shown displaying a black Betta with mustard yellow fins. The striking image is not in line with Apple's usual feature-forward marketing materials, nor is it found in current iOS 9 betas, but it could signal that motion wallpapers could make their way from the Apple Watch to the "iPhone 6s."

To showcase the contrast of the Apple Watch's OLED display, Apple has included optional moving watch faces including a fluttering butterfly, a swimming jellyfish, and a blooming flower. Each time a user raises their wrist, they are shown a different species, color and movement.

Apple's moving watch faces were captured with high-resolution photography, using an intensive process that sometimes required more than a week to obtain a single usable image.

Photo via Steve Hemmerstoffer.

Separately, Steve Hemmerstoffer posted to Twitter this week with a packaging sticker claiming to show contents for the "iPhone 6s" box. In addition to including the anticipated product name, it also shows an entry-level capacity of 16 gigabytes, which would be in line with last year's iPhone 6 series.

Unsurprisingly, the English-language label suggests the "iPhone 6s" will ship with Apple's EarPods, a Lightning to USB cable and USB power adapter. The boilerplate text also details the device supporting CDMA, GSM, UMTS, TD-SCDMA, and LTE (FDD and TD) cellular technologies, along with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC and GPS.

None of the packaging makes mention of Force Touch, which is expected to be one of the biggest upgrades to the next-generation iPhone. Apple already offers the pressure-sensitive input method on its Apple Watch and latest MacBooks.

Apple is also expected to offer a new rose gold color option, joining the current yellow gold, white, and space grey designs. And the "iPhone 6s" is expected to be encased in stiffer 7000 series aluminum, which is already at use in the Apple Watch.

Other internal improvements expected include 2 gigabytes of RAM, a faster "A9" processor, and improved cameras.

It's also likely that the 4.7-inch model will keep the same pricing and capacity structure as the current iPhone 6, starting at $199 on contract for 16 gigabytes up to $399 for 128 gigabytes, while the jumbo-sized "iPhone 6s Plus" would start at $299. Both devices are expected to have essentially the same external design as the current iPhone 6 series.

All will be revealed at Apple's event on Wednesday, which kicks off in San Francisco at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there with full, live coverage of the announcements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Maybe those motion wallpapers are a clue to the 6S incorporating an OLED rather than an LCD display? Well...there is still one more day to go, I can hope no?
  • Reply 2 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So since Apple is stupidly sticking with 16GB do they make changes to iCloud offerings/pricing to make up for it?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    So since Apple is stupidly sticking with 16GB do they make changes to iCloud offerings/pricing to make up for it?

Yes, prices are going up and you'll no longer get free storage, because GAAP or something.

And it's hardly surprising that the box doesn't have a list of features...
  • Reply 4 of 78
    I wish Apple would make the regular gold finish available with the black front. That would be a good look.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    1983 wrote: »
    Maybe those motion wallpapers are a clue to the 6S incorporating an OLED rather than an LCD display?

It is a clue that 6S is adopting watchOS.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hardly stupid. People will be forced to buy the mid-tier model, the average selling price of an iPhone will shoot up by 15%, the stock will skyrocket because of analyst reports of growth in a mature market, and Tim Cook will get his big bonus. See how it works?

• Reply 7 of 78
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    isteelers wrote: »
    I wish Apple would make the regular gold finish available with the black front. That would be a good look.
    concur. Gold/black and rose gold/white.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    It came to me yesterday that, while Force Touch might be confusing if varying inputs do completely different things, it'd work quite well if a light touch was the equivalent of hovering with a mouse and a harder push was like clicking the mouse button.

One of the weaknesses of a touch interface over a mouse has always been that there was no equivalent of hover. This would get Force Touch devices that feature. Nifty!
  • Reply 9 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »

It continues to be a non-issue, since the people complaining about this aren't actually planning to buy a 32Gb iPhone 6S anyway. Real customers would just order a 64GB model and enjoy their new phone.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    I really don't mind them starting at 16g. It allows people to come into the Apple ecosystem and own an iPhone at a lower price. There's no guarantee if it started at 32g that the price would match the former price of the 16g.

I have friends that own the 16g plus model. They really just use their phones for social media, selfies, free music, games and YouTube. Nothing really productive. Smart phone dumb sh.. That's what they could afford. So that's what they got.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I think these boxes are 100% fake.

• Reply 12 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    What did they stuff that packaging up into to smuggle it out? I am horrified.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    pujones1 wrote: »
    I really don't mind them starting at 16g. It allows people to come into the Apple ecosystem and own an iPhone at a lower price. There's no guarantee if it started at 32g that the price would match the former price of the 16g.

I have friends that own the 16g plus model. They really just use their phones for social media, selfies, free music, games and YouTube. Nothing really productive. Smart phone dumb sh.. That's what they could afford. So that's what they got.

Other than the fact that the 16GB model sells for what the 8GB used to...
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think these boxes are 100% fake.

I'm thinking more like %40

• Reply 15 of 78
    Other than the fact that the 16GB model sells for what the 8GB used to...

I'm sorry. I really wasn't aware of that. I never go for the lower end. Even when the phone first came out I chose the 8g instead of the 4g model. I go for what my needs are and what I can afford.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

They already have a pretty easy fix for it.

It simply requires you to stop being cheap.. and pay $99 more for the 64GB version.  Millions of people have tried this and works very well.

• Reply 17 of 78
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

16GB. Meet the new iPhone 6s. It all all the storage YOU NEED, to hold up to FOUR movies, TWO HD videos, FIVE high definition photos, and THREE apps.

Your friends with their entry level Samsung Galaxy S6's that have 32 GB standard memory will die with envy! Because YOU, like a capuchin monk have transcended the need to collect, own and store things. YOU have discovered the secret to happiness, by divesting yourself of all those apps, games, videos, pictures and other worldly stuff.

Am I being sarcastic? Yeah. But Apple deserves some ridicule if they're offering a 16 GB phone in late 2015.

Edit: 6s. The s stands for "stingy on storage" lol

• Reply 18 of 78
    512ke wrote: »
    16GB. Meet the new iPhone 6s. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It all all the storage YOU NEED, to hold up to FOUR movies, TWO HD videos, FIVE high definition photos, and THREE apps.</span>

Your friends with their entry level Samsung Galaxy S6's that have 32 GB standard memory will die with envy! Because YOU, like a capuchin monk have transcended the need to collect, own and store things. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">YOU have discovered the secret to happiness, by divesting yourself of all those apps, games, videos, pictures and other worldly stuff.</span>

Am I being sarcastic? Yeah. But Apple deserves some ridicule if they're offering a 16 GB phone in late 2015.

Edit: 6s. The s stands for "stingy on storage" lol

Not even 4 movies, unless you're getting SD only. After iOS bloat and formatting issues you only have roughly 12GB for the end user, some movies are almost 5GB now.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It continues to be a non-issue, since the people complaining about this aren't actually planning to buy a 32Gb iPhone 6S anyway. Real customers would just order a 64GB model and enjoy their new phone.

It's still a ripoff with the sole intention of getting people to pay more. Some here say it's a margin issue yet in the first quarter where Apple offered 64GB for the price of 32GB they reported the highest profits of any company ever and close to record margins.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Force touch on 6S+ only?