Apple's Tim Cook, Jony Ive slip to fourth on Vanity Fair 'New Establishment' list

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So a glorified Taxi service, online retailer that only gets huge sales because they are a loss leader, and an advertising pyramid scheme top the list?  Pathetic.

....an online 'market maker' who pours all profits (and human sweat/effort) back into developing new markets.  You realize that Amazon is just about ready to take on Plumbers, electricians, carpet layers etc for home installation projects.... They are positioning themselves to recreate Sears of the 50's where you will go online, order a house from a set of plans, all the appliances and finishings, and it will be delivered and installed.   You do realize that don't you?  those business cards on the bulletin board at the hardware store... poof.  Disrupted. angie's list... poof.  General Contractors.  poof.   Home Depot.  Poof.

And I do think Uber/AirBnb will 'rightsize' a lot of business models and squeeze out the excess in the economy (both bad and good.  Given that the world thinks that automobiles use to drive economics in the US and Japan, lowering the need for car ownership may be a short term negative impact).  Uber, is to taxis like contract manufacturing is to Apple (why own the factory?), and that model turns out pretty well, doesn't it?

And, don't be surprised when Uber starts recruiting bike messengers as well, people aren't the only things that need to go from point a to point b).  And it eats into the 'soccer mom' bus system.   Seriously, This glorified taxi service will make 'taxi service' 'trustable' to place your children in... this will be disruptive.

Facebook... just another iteration on the web... disruptive only in the sense that AOL was disruptive (what is old is new again), that BitNet was disruptive...   

• Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Okay, I'll bite.  To one degree or another, the iPhone (and its infrastructure) disrupted:

- portable music players

- GPS devices

- US telecoms in general

- software delivery models

- casual computer users

That's just off the top of my head.

don't forget

- digital surveillance

Soon

- Identity based transactions

(e.g. Wallets)

• Reply 23 of 38

Quick !!!! panic and sell all your stock because AAPL is going to tank!!!! 

Dropping to fourth on ... on ... WTF!! Vanity Fair?!?!? never mind!

• Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

The Apple Watch in the "smart watch" field is a disrupter, however there isn't a "need" for the product in the wearable segment like there was a need for a new way of looking at the phone and tablets.

I believe the wristwatch market is ripe for disruption just as the cell phone market was, prior to the iPhone.

Remember how lots of young and old people hated the notion of being permanently reachable through a cell phone? But now we all love it, because the smartphone lets us decide HOW to communicate --a radical concept-- plus they run the apps we like.

I find it eerily similar to today's refusal of many to wear wristwatches. Why wear a time shackle when you have the time, your appointments and alarms right in your pocket?

When the right smartwatch with the right design, at the right price and with the right features and killer apps comes up, we will know, because everybody will start wearing them and wonder how they could have gone through life without them.

Size might not be an issue. In fact, the killer smartwatch might be an arm-length monster, if smartphones are a clue. Or not!

I only know we all will recognize it when we see it, and try it for the first time.

• Reply 25 of 38
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Okay, I'll bite.  To one degree or another, the iPhone (and its infrastructure) disrupted:

- portable music players
    - GPS devices
    - US telecoms in general
    - software delivery models
    - casual computer users

That's just off the top of my head.

You forgot point and shoot cameras (normal ones, not DSLRS or high-end)
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Gps. Ok.

Music player. Ok

All others stretching it. Here's my point. To call uber a non disruptive service I think in general is disingenuous. It fixed a problem that have been plaguing travelers and commuters for years. It solved a problem and in a creative way...no matter how simplistic it looks.

BS.

It has completely disrupted the point-and-shoot camera industry, once a rather major industry. The App Store disrupted the way software is made, delivered, priced.

Sure, Uber is disruptive. But not remotely close to what the iPhone did.

(iSteelers got to cameras before I did).

• Reply 27 of 38
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Uber is amazing...disrupting the entrenched monopoly of taxi services is a feat.

But it was iPhone that allowed it to be brought to life.

The iPhone has changed society and how we interact with each other in a fundamental way.

It has created as much disruption as the creation of the personal computer and internet.

It is the third wave.

It makes everything...transportation (Uber), housing (air BnB), ideas (twitter) and sex (Tinder) a frictionless commodity.

It has changed how we engage in the personal space and has permeated the culture in a breathtakingly short time.

It has birthed social movements, etc...
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

BS.

It has completely disrupted the point-and-shoot camera industry, once a rather major industry. The App Store disrupted the way software is made, delivered, priced.

Sure, Uber is disruptive. But not remotely close to what the iPhone did.

(iSteelers got to cameras before I did).

It doesn't have to be remotely close. The disagreement was uber not being a disruptive service.

Um... perhaps you should think before you post, or read after you post. You specifically said (post #17 above, to which there was a response, and I was responding to that response to your post): "The iPhone disrupted how many products? One."

Wrong claim to make.

• Reply 29 of 38
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:

You are vastly overrating the importance of taxi service for the masses. Less than 5% of the population use a taxi more than once a week. For most people Uber is a nice occasional convience, not a game changer.

Last year Taxi revenues in the US was $12 billion.

Toilet paper revenue was $10 billion.

Bottled water revenue was $13 billion.

And most of Ubers revenue is for labor and auto expense. Not what Uber is providing,

Yeah... I think we're saying the same thing bro... It's all good. 

• Reply 30 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »

The iPhone disrupted how many products? One.

Do you really think the problem the iPad had with disrupting laptops was screen size? Hardly. The iPad mini, air, and pro are not laptops. They're not designed to be laptop killers or laptop disrupters

Are you kidding me? Look at smart phones/tablets prior to the iPhone/iPad. Look at them afterwards. Disruption noted.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Read the post again. Laptop killer

Ok but it did disrupt the PC industry perhaps not just the laptop segment but I have no data on that.
  • Reply 32 of 38

This whole back-and-forth about the number of industries the iPhone disrupted reminds me a bit of this:
    :P
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Quote:

What product did the iPhone disrupt? For me I can think of a dozen products I no longer use because of having iPhones.

flashlight

alarm clock

dictionary

address book

calendar

calculator

encyclopedia

camera

timer

newspaper

map

iPod

As far as the disruptors, I have never been on Facebook, never used Uber, and have used Amazon.com for less than 1% of all my purchases in the past year. 

• Reply 34 of 38
    In my book, Cook and Ive are in a class by themselves. They should be first with Uber in second place.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    flippysc wrote: »
    What product did the iPhone disrupt? For me I can think of a dozen products I no longer use because of having iPhones.

flashlight
    alarm clock
    dictionary
    address book
    calendar
    calculator
    encyclopedia
    camera
    timer
    newspaper
    map
    iPod

As far as the disruptors, I have never been on Facebook, never used Uber, and have used Amazon.com for less than 1% of all my purchases in the past year. 

Missed a couple I can think of:
    Sat Nav
    E-book reader

Sure there are plenty more to go at too.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Uber is a disruptive service for 5% of the population.

Twitter is a more disruptive service for a bigger percentage of the population.

And lets not give Uber a gold metal yet. Lets see them turn a profit and see what happens when their drivers organize for better benefits. Really the software behind Uber is nothing special.

The problem with Uber is that basically, there is very little barrier of entry for a competitor that would do the same thing as them. Only marketing and name recognition can keep them on top, not tech that's for sure. Im 5 years, Uber will be a footnote.

• Reply 37 of 38
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Does a disruptive service need to post Apple like profits. 33bil a quarter. Prior posts said apple watch was disruptive. Where do you think those profits are going to come in at.

Disruptive does not equate to record unheard of profits.

I wasn't really focusing on the profits part. More on this part:

Quote:

Uber turned the taxi services upside down. 

Sog was all like:

Quote:

using an Uber Taxi instead of a Yellow Taxi does not change anyones life.  It is just another competitor in the services industry.  Big deal.

And like

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Uber is just a taxi service that exposes the flaws of the traditional taxi services.  Nothing ground breaking or life changing at all.  If Uber was 50% cheaper than traditional taxi that would be something.  But it cost just as much.  

And my take was:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

I'll also have to disagree. Smacked them upside the head maybe. Any taxi service could have commissioned an app that did what Uber does, they just didn't. I'm not saying Uber isn't innovative and they certainly are giving Traditional Taxi services a run for their money, but it's more like Uber deflated "TT's" tires halfway as opposed to flipping the taxi completely over. 

Then Sog got all weird on me and said:

Quote:

You are vastly overrating the importance of taxi service for the masses. Less than 5% of the population use a taxi more than once a week. For most people Uber is a nice occasional convience, not a game changer.

Last year Taxi revenues in the US was $12 billion.

Toilet paper revenue was $10 billion.

Bottled water revenue was $13 billion.

And most of Ubers revenue is for labor and auto expense. Not what Uber is providing,

Which I didn't think I was, and I'm not sure what the financials are all about, but I think Sog & I agree, a taxi app just isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.