Study: Apple Watch holds 97% satisfaction rating, used mostly for fitness & timekeeping

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2015
The Apple Watch has a 97 percent satisfaction rating among owners, although the most popular uses are simply fitness tracking and telling the time, according to survey data published on Tuesday.

Wearables research firm Wristly polled a group of more than 2,000 Watch owners for three months to obtain the figures, said to point to better satisfaction than first-generation iPhone and iPad models. ChangeWave data used for comparison indicated a 92 percent satisfaction with the 2007 iPhone, and 91 percent satisfaction with the 2010 iPad.

Within Wristly's survey, 70 percent of people said they ended up checking their Watch's Activity rings more than expected. The next-most popular activities were timekeeping, checking complications, monitoring heart rate, and placing or receiving phone calls.

More than half of the group said they used remote control, messaging, and music/podcast functions less than they anticipated. Apple Pay, Glances, and Passbook saw moderate interest.

Relatively few Watch announcements are predicted for Apple's press event on Wednesday. The company could reveal new case and band options, and a date for watchOS 2, which should make some requested fixes and improvements -- most notably native app support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Hmm. The Apple Pay stat surprises me.
    (even though I have commented previously that I have never seen anybody use Apple Pay at all)
    I just don't understand it. As soon as I have my new phone, I'll be using Apple Pay all the time. Can't figure why I don't see it more here in NYC.:???:

I mean, more people using it. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc.
    Certainly enough people with iPhones here.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

(even though I have commented previously that I have never seen anybody use Apple Pay at all)

I just don't understand it. As soon as I have my new phone, I'll be using Apple Pay all the time. Can't figure why I don't see it more here in NYC.image

Once Apple Pay arrives in Canada I'll be using it all the time. It used to be that I was always inserting my card and entering my PIN and occasionally I'd get a surprise by finding a merchant I can tap. Now I usually tap and it's the odd time when I come across a merchant where I have to insert my card.

Hurry the eff up and get Apple Pay going in Canada (whoever is responsible for the delay).

• Reply 3 of 20
    What a strange survey....
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

What a strange survey....

I know, right? What I don't understand is where the survey discovered "Apple's positioning."

• Reply 5 of 20
    bobschlob wrote: »
    I just don't understand it. As soon as I have my new phone, I'll be using Apple Pay all the time. Can't figure why I don't see it more here in NYC.:???:

No surprise here. Do you work in retail?
    I use Apple Pay on my watch a few times a week.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    i had to reset my Apple Watch today to get it to respond accurately. Now that it is responding I am happy with it again.
  • Reply 7 of 20

It's possible that Apple Pay is not as universally available in retail locations yet... First Apple needed to get the banks and Credit Unions on board, which they have been quite good at doing, then they can work on the retailers, starting with the biggest. I'm starting to see more new terminals at checkout counters, and it may ramp up the closer we get to the Christmas buying seasons.

While about 40% of the iPhone owners are using the latest iPhones, this may change dramatically starting later this month...
  • Reply 8 of 20

I'm in NYC, and don't often go to the types of big stores that accept Apple Pay, and it's something I could easily miss anyway, but I have twice seen people in front of me in line pay with their watch. Maybe I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Actually, I use Apple Pay with my phone, but I don't remember seeing anybody else do that, just those two watch transactions.
  • Reply 9 of 20

I use my watch for:

1. Telling the time and date instead of hauling out my iPhone

2. Setting timers (for cooking, naps, "stand ups", etc.) instead of hauling out my iPhone. The wrist taps are less obtrusive and more effective than audible alarms.

3. Telling the temperature via complication on the "modal" face

4. Remote control of music play (from my iPhone to a Bose Bluetooth speaker)

5. Remote control of iPhone camera

6. Dictate to Siri to add items to reminder lists

7. Answer calls

8. Make calls

9. Apple Pay (more fun with the Watch than with the iPhone)

10. Driving directions (beeps and wrist taps with display of right/left turn icon before each turn)

11. Integration with "Hours Tracker" iPhone app

12. Shazam (works well)

13. Heart rate monitor (records regularly and plots bar graphs indicating highs and lows for each day in iPhone "Health" app)

14. Message notifications

15. Send text/audio messages

16. Monitor eBay auctions

Everything here is simply more convenient than on the phone.

Love the Apple Watch!

• Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

I just don't understand it. As soon as I have my new phone, I'll be using Apple Pay all the time. Can't figure why I don't see it more here in NYC.image

I use it all the time. I know a couple of other Watch-owners who do.

However, to answer your question, I think Apple has done a very poor job of publicizing this feature, in not just the Watch but even the iPhone. Also, not yet a great job of working to get more retailers on board.

• Reply 11 of 20
    Love my Watch.

Two notes on use:

1. Apple Pay: recently I've seen NFC payments be available on vending machines: (1) YMCA, and (2) highway rest stop. Very handy... especially the YMCA where you don't have your wallet when exercising [but need a Gatorade].

2. Bluetooth Headphones: I had issues with Watch stopping sending music to my Bluetooth headphones (using Music on Watch, with source = Watch). The solution: turn Bluetooth OFF on the iPhone that is nearby. After I did this, the Watch never dropped its connection to the earbuds.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Old school NYers eat at delis and shop at bodegas that accept only cash.  For Starbucks I only use my Starbucks app so I can get rack up my stars.  The only thing people really pay with Credit are subway and commuter train fares.  That's not gonna change anytime soon until Apple helps the small merchants beat the Tax guy.

• Reply 13 of 20
    A watch used for... Timekeeping. Imagine that!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I try to use ?Pay every where. A couple days ago
    I tried it at a gas station I stopped at,
    I tried it because it had the touchless payment signs
    and, I happen to break their computer, they had to shut it down and re start it. ????. Oops sorry
  • Reply 15 of 20
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Quote:

Old school NYers eat at delis and shop at bodegas that accept only cash.  For Starbucks I only use my Starbucks app so I can get rack up my stars.  The only thing people really pay with Credit are subway and commuter train fares.  That's not gonna change anytime soon until Apple helps the small merchants beat the Tax guy.

"Old school NYers" What the hell is that?

"Delis" What the hell is that?

"Bodegas" What the hell is that?

?You definitely don't live in NYC (in 2015). :D

• Reply 16 of 20
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    vision33r wrote: »

"Old school NYers" What the hell is that?
    "Delis" What the hell is that?
    "Bodegas" What the hell is that?
    ?You definitely don't live in NYC (in 2015). :D

And neither do you obviously. :lol:
    Bodega actually means wine cellar in Spanish. I'm not sure when convenience stores started to be referred to as such.
    BTW, I think native NYers is more fitting than old school NYers.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Everyone should read the survey report - very interesting and quite bullish on the Apple Watch.

Since the survey was global, and with Apple Pay only available in two countries, it could explain the stat.

One item not listed that I find very useful is the calendar app and notifications. Quite handy to see the next meeting at a glance, and get a tap on the wrist as a reminder.

Can't wait for WatchOS 2 and the 3rd party apps to follow.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    It is being used for timekeeping? Shocker!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I hope Apple uses surveys like this to decide a round watch is acceptable. Looks like there's not lot of list-reading going on...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    vision33r wrote: »

Paying at Starbucks with your Watch works really well. Just load your Starbucks card into Passbook and you're good to go!